Box Office

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Oblivion ended up with $38.2M, good start for it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty happy that The Place Beyond the Pines is now up to $11.4M after 4 weeks and has been gaining more every week, looks like a damn good movie that I'll see at some point.

Plan on seeing that this week, Blue Valentine (from the same director) was one of my favourite films of 2011.

Saw Evil Dead friday, it wasn't bad, not scary or funny enough, but did have some nice old fashioned gory moments. Compeared to most remakes I found it to be solid.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Damn Scary Movie 5 tanked pretty hard. Totally wouldn't of expected that considering it's a pretty popular franchise. Oh well. Movie is probably a piece of shit anyway & deserves it. 5% on rottentomatoes. :lmao Shouldn't of been made.

I bet you'd flip this opinion if it did well.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Pain & Gain debuted at the top of the box office with $20M, not bad, it'll end up making a nice profit. Iron Man 3 did amazing internationally with $195.3M, it'll kill the box office with its US release this week.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Oblivion ended up with $38.2M, good start for it. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty happy that The Place Beyond the Pines is now up to $11.4M after 4 weeks and has been gaining more every week, looks like a damn good movie that I'll see at some point.

Go and see it Chris, very impressive. Its been doing well in the UK too.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Iron Man 3 ended up with $175.3M on its first weekend, becoming the second biggest US Box Office hit after The Avengers.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
And it's at a worldwide box office revenue of $680,100,000 so far. As well as going past the $312 million international total of Ironman 2 in its entire theatrical run in just 9 days.

That's crazy. I have not seen it myself yet but probably will on Thursday. No doubt about it you'd think Robert Downey Jr. will sign on for a fourth film after a release like this. This surpassed flicks such as Batman or Spider-Man. Who'd be crazy to throw this kind of lead role away? Besides it wouldn't be the same without him. Robert Downey Jr. IS Ironman in my eyes and I believe Marvel really relies on him. They would give him as much as he'd like if it meant continuing work with him for more movies after the hits The Avengers and Ironman have been.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Should be a big weekend at the box office with The Hangover 3, Fast and Furious 6 and Epic all opening wide and with Stark Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 and The Great Gatsby still pulling in big numbers. They are predicting that they can break the all time record of $273 million thanks to the sheer quantity of top end movies out.

Anyone heading to the cinema this weekend to catch one of these movies?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Should be a big weekend at the box office with The Hangover 3, Fast and Furious 6 and Epic all opening wide and with Stark Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 and The Great Gatsby still pulling in big numbers. They are predicting that they can break the all time record of $273 million thanks to the sheer quantity of top end movies out.

Yeah and most of that is very despressing indeed!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Saw Fast & Furious 6 tonight, good stuff.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yeah and most of that is very despressing indeed!

Not every movie needs to be an award winner. A good popcorn flick is a good popcorn flick.

Numbers are in for Friday and Fast and Furious 6 grossed $38 million and is going to open huge. Hangover III has $26 million after two days and it is definitely looking like they made the right choice to end the series with this one. Demand has dropped off a lot compared to the first two.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
More often than not the ones with big numbers aren't the ones with awards.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
True. For whatever reason normally these award organisations dislike anything that manages to be a huge commercial success and be a mainstream hit. They shouldn't assume that big money means poor quality just like the opposite is true.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
True. For whatever reason normally these award organisations dislike anything that manages to be a huge commercial success and be a mainstream hit. They shouldn't assume that big money means poor quality just like the opposite is true.

I think part of the theory is that those blockbusters are already successful enough without getting awards recnition.

Trouble is Troy most of the films you mentioned are not good popcorn flicks. The Hangover movies are just repeating the teen blueprint from such 80s movies as Animal House and Brachor Party, films which weren't that good to begin with but at least served a purpose at the time. It is not a genre which ages well and these films are just sexist and unfunny.

F&F is just a dated 70s/80s style action film, which comes across as "can you top this cinema" with no sense of character or narrative. And with the exception of the fact they have made money, tell me why world needs six of the damn things?

Star Trek is the one I would stick up for as JJA did a good job with the first one and as of yet it has not out stayed its welcome.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think part of the theory is that those blockbusters are already successful enough without getting awards recnition.

Trouble is Troy most of the films you mentioned are not good popcorn flicks. The Hangover movies are just repeating the teen blueprint from such 80s movies as Animal House and Brachor Party, films which weren't that good to begin with but at least served a purpose at the time. It is not a genre which ages well and these films are just sexist and unfunny.

F&F is just a dated 70s/80s style action film, which comes across as "can you top this cinema" with no sense of character or narrative. And with the exception of the fact they have made money, tell me why world needs six of the damn things?

Star Trek is the one I would stick up for as JJA did a good job with the first one and as of yet it has not out stayed its welcome.

Everyone has different tastes though and for millions of people these are clearly great popcorn films for them. For me the only ones I am interested in seeing are Star Trek and the Great Gatsby but I can see why others are interested in the Hangover and F&F franchises. For Fast and Furious they have actually developed the characters throughout the series and turned it into something bigger than just some cars racing around. It is a basic action film with plenty of cars in it and it doesn't really need to be much more.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Because they finally got good with the fifth one, and then even better with the sixth one. It actually looks like a well-developed series, which I never expected to happen.