BJ Whitmer suffers injury at ROH event

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
They take it because the fans love it. I know some indy guys do it because they think WWE will take notice. It's a bit ridiculous, but it happens. Mistakes happen.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
They take it because the fans love it. I know some indy guys do it because they think WWE will take notice. It's a bit ridiculous, but it happens. Mistakes happen.
You are right, it is ridiculous and it is just stupid imo, those fans are not going to pay for your medical bills, WWE doesn't take guys who do unneccesary risky things because they may hurt themselves before they start collecting on their investment, or worse hurt one of their cash cows. Ever notice why Teddy Hart never made it past developmental?

These guys have to think smart when it comes to indies, if that is far as you want to go, fine have at it, do all the crazy shit you want, but if your goal is to make it to WWE, than doing a bunch of crazy shit is going to severely limit your time if you actually make it, your body will be broken before you get to a higher level because the WWE grind is far more tougher on your body than indies are, so build character, get experience and learn how to work safe.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
You are right, it is ridiculous and it is just stupid imo, those fans are not going to pay for your medical bills, WWE doesn't take guys who do unneccesary risky things because they may hurt themselves before they start collecting on their investment, or worse hurt one of their cash cows. Ever notice why Teddy Hart never made it past developmental?

These guys have to think smart when it comes to indies, if that is far as you want to go, fine have at it, do all the crazy shit you want, but if your goal is to make it to WWE, than doing a bunch of crazy shit is going to severely limit your time if you actually make it, your body will be broken before you get to a higher level because the WWE grind is far more tougher on your body than indies are, so build character, get experience and learn how to work safe.

Maybe back in the day WWE would have taken guys like that, but not in this era. They are looking for guys who want to simply entertain, and that dangerous shit isn't everybody's forte.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I just wouldn't have trusted Bennett to piledrive me on the apron.

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious stupidity of doing a piledriver on the ring apron (or doing any big move on the ring apron for that matter) the spot was also stupid for the fact that it happened 5 minutes into a first round title tournament match. With no tease or buildup to the spot at all for that matter either. Plus even if the spot would have gone off without a hitch any 'impact' (no pun intended) the move had would have been lessened when BJ eventually would have stopped selling it to do his comeback at the end or started doing moves again in general.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Certain promotions in my area are looking to ban the piledriver as it's deemed not safe to do.

A wrestler in my hometown suffered a concussion and a stinger in his neck after receiving a piledriver on the weekend.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Certain promotions in my area are looking to ban the piledriver as it's deemed not safe to do.

A wrestler in my hometown suffered a concussion and a stinger in his neck after receiving a piledriver on the weekend.

I still think you should ban unskilled workers who don't know how to properly protect their opponents. Get better training, more experience before you start doing risky moves or you will hurt yourself or someone else. Repetition is key, only marks have movesets when they start out in the business.

Seriously, indie promotions need to actually look into who they book and see if they actually were trained by the people they say they were trained by, or better to stick with guys you know are on the level to be booked. And not look for the cheapest guy looking for experience who is a backyarder who doesn't know a headlock from a headlight.

Don't ban moves, ban unskilled workers imo.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Didn't WWE ban the moves but make expections for skilled workers.

Shooting Star Press for Evan Bourne and Piledrivers for Kane & Undertaker if I remember this correctly?

Yes, Evan Bourne had to prove he could hit that Shooting Star 10 times out of 10 before he was given the greenlight to use it. Mick Foley was still using the piledriver even after its unnofficial ban.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
BJ Whitmer wrote on his Twitter that he met with his doctor to get his MRI results and didn't "like" what he was told and would be seeking a second opinion.

Whitmer suffered a herniated disc taking a piledriver on the apron during a ROH event in Toronto earlier this month.

Hope the 2nd opinion is a lot better than the 1st.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
So he is trying to find a doctor that will tell him what he likes rather than one that tells him what he has? I presume he was told that he can never wrestle again by the first doctor.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
So he is trying to find a doctor that will tell him what he likes rather than one that tells him what he has? I presume he was told that he can never wrestle again by the first doctor.

I think so, yeah. No surprise though really, wrestlers are always going to look for what they want to hear from doctors or just not listen to them. I think Shawn Michaels was advised to not wrestle again after his back injury and he went went on to put on some of the best matches of his career when he came back in 2002.

I'm guessing for BJ this is half denial and half optimism.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Update;

pwinsider said:
The final diagnosis on BJ Whitmer was that he suffered a bruised spinal cord, which is pretty serious. He's also been diagnosed with spinal stenosis, which is the condition that ended the career of Adam Copeland. Whitmer will be getting additional medical examinations in the upcoming weeks. There's no set schedule for his return.

Not good at all for him, makes a bit more sense why he wants a second opinion. If it is confirmed he has spinal stenosis he would surely have to retire.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ This is very sad, and if it does result in his retirement then it is surely a big warning sign to wrestling about reconsidering this kind of move in the future.

If Whitmer does come through this he needs to have long hard think about not taking such risks in the future.