Big surprise at house show, possible injury?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Fair enough, but at the same time people want to be able to see title changes, especially in this day and age. Was there even a camera crew there so they can throw the match on the Network some time later? If not, then this was a huge mistake on the part of WWE/NXT, injury or not.

Either way, this is surprising. I remember hearing they were planning to call up Joe after WrestleMania. I guess they decided to hold off for some reason.
This was not a mistake. This builds interest in the product, not only are people going to be more attuned to what is going on on TV now, but tickets to the house shows are going to sell better now because there is the thrill of missing a title change.

This happened all the time back in the 80s. Arguably the greatest period for WWE as a business.

Aster Davis

Jobber
Reaction score
This was not a mistake. This builds interest in the product, not only are people going to be more attuned to what is going on on TV now, but tickets to the house shows are going to sell better now because there is the thrill of missing a title change.

This happened all the time back in the 80s. Arguably the greatest period for WWE as a business.

I disagree. I really do not think people will start going to live events more because there was one title change on an NXT Live event. Fans will go to live events to see the wrestlers and that is pretty much it.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I disagree. I really do not think people will start going to live events more because there was one title change on an NXT Live event. Fans will go to live events to see the wrestlers and that is pretty much it.
Think what you will. But this is a proven strategy that works to this day and is used by promotions all over the world.
The best way to increase attendances is to create a reason to attend. Seeing a title change is the perfect one

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Are NXT house shows really in need of a boost? I thought they were selling out left and right, they've even done double shots before due to demand.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
It's genius.
A big reason house show attendance for WWE is down is because there is no intrigue. main roster titles never change hands on house shows (I can think of one occurrence since 2000).

This creates intrigue. If a title can change hands on a house show, then what else can happen there?
This is going to make people keep coming to the house shows.
No. House shows shouldn't be treated like they are a part of anything connected to storyline. People expecting that are dumb.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
Well, he had to drop the belt and I presume this happening on a house show is to protect Balor for when he inevitably goes up against Styles this summer but belts shouldn't be dropped on the house shows, it's just as simple as that.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I don't watch NXT and don't intend to (don't watch any wrestling outside of the 2001 spot ive been in for the past few months) but I don't get Joe being more than a transitional champ. Corbin is up and wasn't it those two feuding?

Roode or Aries have plenty of history with his fatass so maybe this is a chance for NXT to see former TNA stars take over? But why? Who is going to be the one Joe jobs to?

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I don't watch NXT and don't intend to (don't watch any wrestling outside of the 2001 spot ive been in for the past few months) but I don't get Joe being more than a transitional champ. Corbin is up and wasn't it those two feuding?

Roode or Aries have plenty of history with his fatass so maybe this is a chance for NXT to see former TNA stars take over? But why? Who is going to be the one Joe jobs to?

No, Aries and Corbin were feuding prior to Corbin's call-up. Aries won at TakeOver: Dallas and then Corbin appeared at Mania and you know what happened there.

Idk, Joe probably loses to Aries or Roode. Nakamura is the other guy I would love to be the NXT champ, but I don't think he's meant to stick in NXT for too long.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Well, he had to drop the belt and I presume this happening on a house show is to protect Balor for when he inevitably goes up against Styles this summer but belts shouldn't be dropped on the house shows, it's just as simple as that.

Well, KO did drop the NXT title to Bálor in Japan on a house show. They had Bálor lose here in order to protect The Demon persona, obviously.

I have no problem with Joe as champion, I just don't know WHY they did it now. I get it's a last minute main roster call-up for him, but it's not like Bálor couldn't show up on the main roster WITH the NXT title.

I mean, it didn't stop KO from defeating Cena while still holding the NXT title, ya know.

Anyways, looking forward to Joe's run. Hopefully it's a good one and he gets to kick some ass.

Last edited:

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Possibly to give the NXT title a house show change shocker as Finn got up and bowed after it was over, looks like a call up

Krendall

The Showoff
Reaction score
This happened all the time back in the 80s.
It kind of had to since PPV events didn't exist for half the decade, and it wasn't until 1989 that there were four shows a year (the '88 Royal Rumble was a special on USA). That said, they would usually air the title switch after the fact on one of the syndicated shows and/or Prime Time Wrestling (what was on Monday nights on USA before RAW), which is what I'm hoping they do here.

Arguably the greatest period for WWE as a business.
No, the Attitude Era was the W/WWF/E's greatest period as a business, particularly from 2000 through WrestleMania XVII.

Reaction score
Suprised it wasn't on the last TakeOver if they wanted him to drop it, or atleast tv. Oh well, atleast now Finn can come up.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
It kind of had to since PPV events didn't exist for half the decade, and it wasn't until 1989 that there were four shows a year (the '88 Royal Rumble was a special on USA). That said, they would usually air the title switch after the fact on one of the syndicated shows and/or Prime Time Wrestling (what was on Monday nights on USA before RAW), which is what I'm hoping they do here.

No, the Attitude Era was the W/WWF/E's greatest period as a business, particularly from 2000 through WrestleMania XVII.
They are airing the match on NXT. Cameras were present at the house show. Also, WWE made more money last year, than in any other year of their existence. They may not be popular amongst fans and outsiders, but they are making loads of money.

No. House shows shouldn't be treated like they are a part of anything connected to storyline. People expecting that are dumb.
House shows are almost always connected to storylines. A clear example would be 2004, JBL giving Eddie's mother a heart attack was a major plot point in the feud that put JBL on the map and led to one of the longest title reigns in WWE history. I think it's a good way to draw more people to show up, by sprinkling a title change in there. House shows have always had a significant importance, and I'm not sure about facts, but they probably draw more money overall than RAW/SmackDown. Also, they're likely airing the match on NXT.

SWL

ur booty is heavy duty like diarrhea
Hotshot
Reaction score
how is this a spoiler? It's not like it's gonna air on the network or something. This is the only way to find out about a title change on a house show.

Reactions: Aster Davis