Big surprise at house show, possible injury?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Post below regards a title change, carry on at your will.

WWE has acknowledged the NXT Championship change at tonight’s house show in Lowell, Massachusetts. The company announced:

Samoa Joe defeated Finn Bálor to capture the NXT Championship at a Live Event Thursday night in Lowell, Massachusetts, WWE.com has confirmed. Joe’s victory put an end to Bálor’s record-breaking reign as NXT Champion. The Demon won the title on July 4, 2015, and held it for 292 days, surpassing the mark set by Neville in 2014.

Now that Samoa Joe has finally snared NXT’s top prize, what will the destroyer have in store for anyone who dares to step up and challenge him? How will Finn Bálor handle this setback?

In addition, reports from the show suggest that Balor may have suffered an ankle injury at the show. Wrestling Inc reports that according to those in attendance, Balor appeared to roll his ankle and seemed “clearly hurt” when he came up. The ref threw up the X and Joe won the title a minute later. It isn’t sure if this is an angle or a legit injury.

Source: 411Mania

Should've just happened at Takeover: Dallas. Also, think that Balor's is an angle due to a possible last minute call up in the works. Then again, he did injure his ankle not too long ago. So I dunno.

Crithu

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I totally agree that this should have happened at Takeover. At the very least a normal episode of NXT. I'm assuming we will see him called up soon as long as he's not injured too badly.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Added the video, guessing he'll get the call up now. Probably after Luke and Karl screw over AJ, they shouldn't pull the trigger any earlier than that. Sucks though, would much rather AJ be the heel over Balor.

Aster Davis

Jobber
Reaction score
So dumb that they did this at live event over Takeover just because they wanted Balor to break the record.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So dumb that they did this at live event over Takeover just because they wanted Balor to break the record.
It's genius.
A big reason house show attendance for WWE is down is because there is no intrigue. main roster titles never change hands on house shows (I can think of one occurrence since 2000).

This creates intrigue. If a title can change hands on a house show, then what else can happen there?
This is going to make people keep coming to the house shows.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
^Same reason Ambrose has been going over Triple H at the recent shows. You'd never expect him to work the house circuit.

Aster Davis

Jobber
Reaction score
It's genius.
A big reason house show attendance for WWE is down is because there is no intrigue. main roster titles never change hands on house shows (I can think of one occurrence since 2000).

This creates intrigue. If a title can change hands on a house show, then what else can happen there?

At the same time, we all know it is probably going to be the last change for a housr show in a long time.

Aster Davis

Jobber
Reaction score
At the same time, I was thinking they are protecting the demom but as many people said, what is the demon except some cool paint?

Even if NXT/WWE actually did want to protect the demon, there was so stuff they could have done and still have him lose.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Well, color me surprised. I did not see this coming. I guess Bálor Club finally becomes a faction at Payback. Looking forward to heel Bálor.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
At the same time, we all know it is probably going to be the last change for a housr show in a long time.
Doesn't matter. The very fact that it CAN happen is going to keep people interested. It's the same way they have surprise title changes on TV as well. You'd think all titles would change hands on PPV since they are the big shows, but what would be the reason to watch a title match on TV if that was the case?

Reactions: Aids Johnson

Krendall

The Showoff
Reaction score
It's genius.

Fair enough, but at the same time people want to be able to see title changes, especially in this day and age. Was there even a camera crew there so they can throw the match on the Network some time later? If not, then this was a huge mistake on the part of WWE/NXT, injury or not.

Either way, this is surprising. I remember hearing they were planning to call up Joe after WrestleMania. I guess they decided to hold off for some reason.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
It means Balor is going up to the main roster, so I'm cool with it. No better man then Joe to take the throne.
Those epic entrances need to be on the big stage.