Big Show Not Happy With Creative

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Not really, I am just looking at it rationally. If you are going to advertise on cable, then why would an advertiser leave a show that has been number one on cable for the majority of its existence and even though it's not anymore, still rates consistently as one of the highest on cable? Even losing more than half of its audience from its peak, it's still a cable ratings winner.
Joking :)

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
Jacob laying the smacketh down with facts.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Honestly, I think going public was one of the worst things WWE ever did. Although Vince retains majority voting and therefore complete control over the company, he still plays up to the stockholders first and foremost because if the stock price lowers, he loses his "billionaire" status. Sigh.
No, actually, it's not. It allows Vince more access to more corporate capital, which is the reason why they went public in the first place. Vince doesn't have to "please" shareholders (ahem, investors), he just needs to make money for them. They lend him capital, he gives them profit. Win/Win.

Without their corporate status, they wouldn't be the phenomenon they are today. They'd still be like TNA, a small company trying to keep up with the top dog (WWE). Going public means more access to a larger pool of investors. Vince doesn't even need to worry about going out of cash on the next day - because it's there by the end of the quarter. The profit is used to pay employees, travel, and whatnot.

Look, it's not that bad. WWE is just complacent, and they need a kick in the ass, pants, or whatever.

3rd hour is not the problem. Storylines just need to be better. The staff are just bored with the story, and has no inspiration for the stories they write. They need some kind of fire. Like "Let's make Aces and Eight happen on WWE!"

[Just finished reading the third page...] You even reflect my comment here:
I'm not sure where you get your information but WWE is actually doing pretty good at the moment. Their operating income (which is revenue minus operating expenses) for the last quarter was at an all time high of $33.3 million with an operating income before depreciation and amortization of $40 million, also an all time high. So their profit is actually pretty good at the moment. The network averaged 1.5 million paid subscribers. When the financials for the third quarter in 2017 were given, the stock price was at $21. Since then, it has risen to $30, also an all time igh. These are all positives for WWE.

It would make little sense for advertisers to drop a consistent ratings generator like WWE Raw and move their advertising to other shows on basic cable. It is consistently one of the highest rated shows on cable...so why would you assume the advertisers would go somewhere else?
Not really, I am just looking at it rationally. If you are going to advertise on cable, then why would an advertiser leave a show that has been number one on cable for the majority of its existence and even though it's not anymore, still rates consistently as one of the highest on cable? Even losing more than half of its audience from its peak, it's still a cable ratings winner.
It's still getting viewers. It doesn't matter if "WWE Raw isn't doing well." That's why advertisers still pay them. When the show peaks again (and it will eventually), that just means that advertisers would have to pay more. So, right now, advertisers are content (comfortable) with paying WWE in normal numbers. It's the same as a website; when your traffic is spiking, advertisers fight for your ad space. I just did that last month with a Call of Duty community. Got paid.

Last edited:

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
UGH. Double posted by accident, I meant to edit the old post..

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
No, actually, it's not. It allows Vince more access to more corporate capital, which is the reason why they went public in the first place. Vince doesn't have to "please" shareholders (ahem, investors), he just needs to make money for them. They lend him capital, he gives them profit. Win/Win..

Making money for the share holders is "pleasing" the shareholders. The shareholders are not sitting there complaining about story or matches, they are wanting money to be made. Not sure what else you can consider pleasing the shareholders.

Without their corporate status, they wouldn't be the phenomenon they are today. They'd still be like TNA, a small company trying to keep up with the top dog (WWE). Going public means more access to a larger pool of investors. Vince doesn't even need to worry about going out of cash on the next day - because it's there by the end of the quarter. The profit is used to pay employees, travel, and whatnot.

I understand that but in my opinion, the product has been on a downward spiral ever since they went public. Yes, correlation doesn't equal causation, but I feel the product was better before being public so I stand by my opinion.

Look, it's not that bad. WWE is just complacent, and they need a kick in the ass, pants, or whatever.

3rd hour is not the problem. Storylines just need to be better. The staff are just bored with the story, and has no inspiration for the stories they write. They need some kind of fire. Like "Let's make Aces and Eight happen on WWE!"

Yeah, that's the problem. They're complacent, I agree. But they're complacent because the company is doing very good right now and the share price is higher than it has ever been. So because of these facts, they don't feel a need to improve the product. Were they a private company, there would be more of an urge to put forth a better product because then they are relying solely on the fans to make their money. Right now, they are just coasting.

That is why I feel going public was a bad thing. It might not be bad for WWE, but it was bad for the fans because pleasing us has become second place to making money (pleasing) the stockholders. They put forth a product that will consistently make money whether it "peaks" or not. It's a successful business model but for people like me, I would prefer a better product rather than coasting because they are doing good.

[Just finished reading the third page...] You even reflect my comment here:

It's still getting viewers. It doesn't matter if "WWE Raw isn't doing well." That's why advertisers still pay them. When the show peaks again (and it will eventually), that just means that advertisers would have to pay more. So, right now, advertisers are content (comfortable) with paying WWE in normal numbers. It's the same as a website; when your traffic is spiking, advertisers fight for your ad space. I just did that last month with a Call of Duty community. Got paid.

Don't know if you're trying to debate or agree with me here. I think the show is slow but I was arguing against the idea that Zardnarr was claiming how bad WWE was doing. And he was wrong, WWE is in great financial shape right now. And I will admit a lot of that is because of the stockholders. WWE's financial status last quarter was better than it has ever been. The ratings are consistent. The advertisers are NOT going to leave the most consistent ratings winner in basic cable history.

My opinion about going public is simply my feelings about it. Good for the company, bad for the fans. All anyone has to do is watch the product before and after and pre public product was better than post public product.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you get your information but WWE is actually doing pretty good at the moment. Their operating income (which is revenue minus operating expenses) for the last quarter was at an all time high of $33.3 million with an operating income before depreciation and amortization of $40 million, also an all time high. So their profit is actually pretty good at the moment. The network averaged 1.5 million paid subscribers. When the financials for the third quarter in 2017 were given, the stock price was at $21. Since then, it has risen to $30, also an all time igh. These are all positives for WWE.

It would make little sense for advertisers to drop a consistent ratings generator like WWE Raw and move their advertising to other shows on basic cable. It is consistently one of the highest rated shows on cable...so why would you assume the advertisers would go somewhere else?

They made that by cutting costs, if they lose the TV deal they will be bleeding money.

I don't think they will but they won't get the amount they expect a'la last time. If your ratings have halved and contract negotiations come up I don't think it gives you a strong position to demand a large increase in money,