Big Show Not Happy With Creative

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Not a complaint or anything but I think the word you meant was quotas. And yes everything you said is right especially about finding that "happy medium", this business can't be 70% wrestling and 30% story or 85% story and 15% wrestling or vice versa. Maybe at times 60/40 or 55/45 as long as they switch up which side gets a little more/little less. This has also resulted in bad booking on a constant basis.
Quarter - Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, it’s WWE’s quarters that Vince is concerned with. 4 times a year he somewhat invests.

Death Walker

Better Known As King Of Armageddon | Trapped In Darkness
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
batista

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I wasn't saying people do or don't watch those shows. I was just saying that you don't have to watch much of the weekly shows to get what's going on. They do a 5 minute video package before every match on ppv usually anyways so you get the gist of things without watching
Yeah, you got a fair point. But I feel like the only thing Hunter has really done is sign international stars to appeal people who watch products outside of WWE. For any casual viewer like myself, I don't really give a shit if they hire anyone until they actually do something worth watching or talking about.

I loved Bobby Roode and AJ Styles before they got to WWE. I still love AJ Styles, but Bobby Roode just seems lost on the main roster. And honestly, he wasn't all too special on nXt either from what I saw of him.

Also in nXt they have more freedom to do stuff while on the main roster, everything is timed accordingly due to commercials, timing, etc. - NXT can just edit shit out.

Idk, would HHH taking over make the product better? Maybe, but right now in my eyes, all he's trying to do is appeal the smarks. Like what I'd wanna see HHH do is run a NXT show in the same format as RAW or SmackDown and see how that goes for him. Realistically if they just had better writers, it'd be better. I mean, SmackDown 2016 was actually great but no one really remembers that.

Reactions: Gman003

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Bobby Roode just seems lost on the main roster.
That is because... Well... He is. He came up and just seems to be playing filler which is a shame.
He should be a big deal by now but they are not booking him fairly nor using him the right way.

He should be GLORIOUS not boring us.

Reactions: Gman003

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
That is because... Well... He is. He came up and just seems to be playing filler which is a shame.
He should be a big deal by now but they are not booking him fairly nor using him the right way.

He should be GLORIOUS not boring us.
This is happening with lots of NXT talent so far. Vince doesn’t really care too much about them and says they’re not “over” when he hands them crappy stories and booking.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
This is happening with lots of NXT talent so far. Vince doesn’t really care too much about them and says they’re not “over” when he hands them crappy stories and booking.
Yeah I am noticing a pattern here.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Bobby Roode is lost on the main roster because they are playing against his strengths. The man is a career heel. Yeah, he's had some good face runs, mainly with Beer Money Inc, but his main strength has always been as a heel. It's quite baffling why, when he was a heel in NXT, that he was called up as a face.

Yup and Roode's entire run on the main roster pretty much verifies this too.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
At the moment, no, there's not. However, there wasn't supposed to be anyone who could do it when WCW tried and succeeded for a short while. They, of course, had an advantage that no one has right now: money. After WWE, New Japan is the next biggest and their revenue is about five percent of WWE's.

New Japan has the best chance. If they can establish the American presence, they have a chance. They have the advantage of Japanese culture still being in over here. However, it's not something that would happen overnight. And they'll likely never overtake WWE. At most, they can be a viable competitor and even that is a long way off.

It would not take much to mess WWE up. They have lost huge ratings for example and the TV deals are up for renegotiation soon. Why would the TV network pay top dollar for shows theat have lost huge % of viewership over the last few years.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
It would not take much to mess WWE up. They have lost huge ratings for example and the TV deals are up for renegotiation soon. Why would the TV network pay top dollar for shows theat have lost huge % of viewership over the last few years.

Because despite the loss of ratings, Raw is still one of the highest rated shows on cable especially in the 18-49 year old demographic, which is seen as the most important one lately. Raw generally averages close to 3 million viewers per hour that it is on. It has been a consistent ratings earner for 25 years and they make a remarkable amount of revenue for USA. WWE isn't going anywhere.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Because despite the loss of ratings, Raw is still one of the highest rated shows on cable especially in the 18-49 year old demographic, which is seen as the most important one lately. Raw generally averages close to 3 million viewers per hour that it is on. It has been a consistent ratings earner for 25 years and they make a remarkable amount of revenue for USA. WWE isn't going anywhere.
You sound like you’re secretly Vince

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score

Depends if advertisers are still willing to pay though, that is what I meant. If they are not paying top dollar for advertising during RAW the network won't pay it either. WWE got less than they wanted last time around and had ratings close to 50% higher back then.

WWE has high revenue but reasonably low profit (relative to turnover) and they have been cost cutting lately. The network has not been doing as well as they have wanted either.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Depends if advertisers are still willing to pay though, that is what I meant. If they are not paying top dollar for advertising during RAW the network won't pay it either. WWE got less than they wanted last time around and had ratings close to 50% higher back then.

WWE has high revenue but reasonably low profit (relative to turnover) and they have been cost cutting lately. The network has not been doing as well as they have wanted either.

I'm not sure where you get your information but WWE is actually doing pretty good at the moment. Their operating income (which is revenue minus operating expenses) for the last quarter was at an all time high of $33.3 million with an operating income before depreciation and amortization of $40 million, also an all time high. So their profit is actually pretty good at the moment. The network averaged 1.5 million paid subscribers. When the financials for the third quarter in 2017 were given, the stock price was at $21. Since then, it has risen to $30, also an all time igh. These are all positives for WWE.

It would make little sense for advertisers to drop a consistent ratings generator like WWE Raw and move their advertising to other shows on basic cable. It is consistently one of the highest rated shows on cable...so why would you assume the advertisers would go somewhere else?

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Big Show spoke a bit on how backstage, WWE just lacks any kind of direction in terms of where they want to go with story lines these days because there are far too many writers, they lose sight of where a story should be going.
As I've said before, FIRE the old Creative team and Hire new creators that will pay more attention to story lines.
I mean, Even I could prob do a better Job at a storyline than WWE.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
You sound like you’re secretly Vince

Not really, I am just looking at it rationally. If you are going to advertise on cable, then why would an advertiser leave a show that has been number one on cable for the majority of its existence and even though it's not anymore, still rates consistently as one of the highest on cable? Even losing more than half of its audience from its peak, it's still a cable ratings winner.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro