Are We Finishing the Story? The Cody/Rock/Roman Megathread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I think the perfect time to open with a promo over a match, is maybe the night after the PPV if it ended on something huge. Like a turn, or a debut or something like that. Like if Raw after Survivor Series opened with Punk, instead of him being at the end(which is also fine because save him til the end.) that would’ve made sense, he was a big talking point at the end of the show, so to open with him, makes sense.

Another good time, is again something I can use with Punk, a return that pretty much everyone knows is happening. It would’ve made no sense to open Rampage when Punk came back with a match. Everyone knew he was coming, crowd would’ve chanted his name all night long til he showed.

So moments like those, yes open up with a promo. Other wise give me a match

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
For me, the perfect format is having a long main event, maybe a long opener, two shorter matches and maybe one really short match and then a plethora of segments.

I don’t think it needs to go back to having 7 short matches in a 2-hour show again. You can have 5 with two matches going over 15 minutes and the others under 15.

Leading to a couple bangers per week, building the storyline for the PPV and then delivering a full 4-hour PPV with every matches hitting over 15.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Unless it's a championship match or some kind of high stakes deal, I honestly don't mind promos opening up.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I’ve also tried watching soap operas. Even when wrestling is at its most Sopa opera, it’s still not an actual soap opera. Everything that happens in wrestling still generally revolves around wrestling. Occasionally will see a villain in a soap opera maybe talk maniacally for like a minute but it’s not the same thing as a heel cutting a promo on a babyface.

I like quite a few primetime dramas so I thought that maybe I could get into a soap opera but I just couldn’t. They’re just way too out there for me and boring at the same time somehow.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
On promos: Short and sweet. Don't need fucking 20 minutes on a fucking a promo unless you are Punk (Once a month praise for him) or MJF or a few others, I don't need you to drone on. Majority of promos should be short and fast-paced ala to the point. Also I think 90% of wrestling weekly shows should start with a match. Make it so when a promo starts the show it matters (but this is why I prefer AEW).

I'll watch any 1999 Raw any day of the week
to-this-day-fight.gif

And that's fine. But you aren't also constantly trying to go back to the past. That's my issue with some AE fans who refuse to move on from those days.

If you love that content and hate modern wrestling, the network is an option. We live in a modern era with everything at our fingertips. No need to not use the world we have.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I agree that modern wrestling doesn’t need to go backwards, but at the same time there’s also like 80 options. So as long as they don’t think every company needs to be the attitude era, I don’t see there being a problem with them Wishing one company would book that way because the people who don’t prefer that don’t have to watch that company.

Last edited:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I agree for the most part, but I don’t think every promo needs to be short and sweet. I think it depends on who’s cutting the promo, and if they’re gonna be interrupted by a secondary person. And what they’re trying to accomplish with the promo. I think a 10 minute in-ring promo per show would be good, and then you can get the same point by just having a couple more backstage interviews.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I do think they should occasionally open with a match more but I also don’t think is anything wrong with finding a format that works and just more or less staying in it. If you look at the general structure of a script there’s generally not too much deviation from it. If you learn how to properly format a script generally speaking, you have the inciting incident you meet your characters You build up the conflict you find a resolution you hit the climax and you take it home.
Or base whether you start off with a match or a promo on what storylines are occuring and if they feel fans will want a promo dealing with the story before a match. If the promo isn't that necessary, than go match.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Or base whether you start off with a match or a promo on what storylines are occuring and if they feel fans will want a promo dealing with the story before a match. If the promo isn't that necessary, than go match.
The promo is usually tied to the main event, not the match opening the show.

The question is usually to start with that promo, or do an unrelated match first, and then go to the promo.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The promo is usually tied to the main event, not the match opening the show.

The question is usually to start with that promo, or do an unrelated match first, and then go to the promo.
Usual isn't always, which is why I suggested it like that. I am saying do one or the other based off what the stories are and which they feel is more or less important to address right away.,

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Basically I am saying, there doesn't need to be a formula to follow all the time, just do what works best for that particular episode.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
If someone about to cut a long promo, needs to be someone who’s good on the microphone. Like really good, probably great

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Basically I am saying, there doesn't need to be a formula to follow all the time, just do what works best for that particular episode.
Always do what’s best for that particular episode but I guess I was saying in the earlier response there’s nothing wrong with having a format. You follow most of the time. Like I was saying, generally speaking a script, always follows a particular format, almost exclusively always, and there’s nothing wrong with telling a story that way because it makes the most sense.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
I agree for the most part, but I don’t think every promo needs to be short and sweet. I think it depends on who’s cutting the promo, and if they’re gonna be interrupted by a secondary person. And what they’re trying to accomplish with the promo. I think a 10 minute in-ring promo per show would be good, and then you can get the same point by just having a couple more backstage interviews.

To clarify: I meant mostly should be especially one person promos. Unless you are Punk or MJF, I don't need to listen to you drone on and on and on (looking at HHH) because most people can't make me give a fuck about a long promo