Are We All Idiots?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I guess that's going to have to come down to personal opinion on what you and I consider good matches then Enzo. Because I completely disagree with you. lol.

Attitude Era had all the mega stars of that era pretty much, involving Rock, Austin, Undertaker, Triple H, Mankind, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit ect.

Then you had the majority of the mid guard having great talents like Edge & Christian, The Dudley Boys, Team Xtreme, Eddie Guerrero, and I actually enjoyed the work of guys like D-Lo Brown, Val Venis, X-Pac, Billy Gunn & Road Dogg, Rikishi, The APA, Too Cool & Big Show.

When it comes to a stacked tag team, mid card & main event roster, you don't get a better roster than in the Attitude Era. Nowadays WWE doesn't even have a shell of a tag team division, their mid card titles are barely squeezed into Pay Per Views let alone given any proper program. The only thing that WWE has even remotely respectable is the actual talented mid carders they have that they refuse to use and the quality main event scene. Without a creative team behind those divisions though to help make those wrestlers put on great matches AND storylines, the product is crap. PG or not.

CenaMark54

Shut the fuck up you stupid, stupid, ignorant mark.

You are the one marking out for what wrestling once was.

Its ignorant to think that the WWE would or could duplicate anything it did in the past. The reason the attitude era was so successful was because of the people, not the storylines or style of matches. Without Austin, the attitude era would never have been.

Some people just like to bitch and complain. If its not one person complaining about things being recycled, its another person complaining about the fact that things have changed.

The WWE, isn't going to change its direction because of a few wannebe internet smarks don't like whats going on. Vince's top star just so happens to connect with children, just as Hogan did back in the 80's. What we are seeing is the circle of life in the wrestling industry. I'm sure most of you were Hogan fans back in the day. He is the man that made you interested in wrestling. Well as that generation grew up, their tastes began to chnage. The same thing is happening now, as the new crop of superstars brings in a new base of fresh fans. As those fans grow up, I'm sure the WWE's direction will grow with them.

The fact that I am along for the ride, doesnt make me a moron or ignorant. I happen to like watching a great wrestling match. One in which the wrestlers use their charisma, ability, and in ring psychology to tell a great story, not one that requires cheap thrills like blood or nonsensical violence and over the top storylines in order to draw the crowd in.

You are a moron.

Do you actually watch the WWE now. I'm not sure how you can disagree that that the in ring product isn't the best it's ever been. Back in the late 90's, unless a match involved Austin, Hart, the Rock, or Vince MacMhaon of all people, it was most likely a stinker.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
So if you're saying that WWE is repeating the course that it did with Hogan back in the 80's your pretty much guaranteeing that WWE by extension is going to have a huge drought period several years from now because all the kiddy crap from the 80's and early 90's finally caught up to them in 1994-1996 and almost killed the company.

Well if that's the case then far be it any of my business to try and stop WWE from repeating history and forcing themselves into near bankruptcy again. Silly me.

CenaMark54

^^^^^^ you know i love how your promoting the orton,cena main event in your sig, It really helps prove your point how 2 guys who only know a total of 9 moves is " the best era for pure wrestling matches we have ever seen"

What would you consider the best era for in ring work. The Hogan era where the top guys only used punches, body slams, and leg drops or the attitude era where the top two guys combined used less moves than Cena?

This whole "so and so only knows 3 moves" excuse is total bullshit. Most wrestlers in the WWE use the same 7 to 10 moves. Do you really think Orton doesn't know how to apply a sharpshooter or perform a piledriver? Thats probably the most ignorant arguement you can make.

There's much more to wrestling match than the amount of moves you perform or your "workrate". You "smarks" should all know that. Or maybe we should send you back to smark academy.

CenaMark54

So if you're saying that WWE is repeating the course that it did with Hogan back in the 80's your pretty much guaranteeing that WWE by extension is going to have a huge drought period several years from now because all the kiddy crap from the 80's and early 90's finally caught up to them in 1994-1996 and almost killed the company.

Well if that's the case then far be it any of my business to try and stop WWE from repeating history and forcing themselves into near bankruptcy again. Silly me.

Its because HBK and Hart, the two top stars were not draws. Had nothing to do with their direction. Hogan left and he was replaced by two non draws.

There was a down period at the conclusion of the attitude era as well. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that two of the top draws of all time left and they were basically replaced at the top by HHH, another terrible draw.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Even during the post Attitude Era "Down Period" it was only in the sense that instead of getting 8.0's in the ratings they nowadays get 3.0's. Do you think that's because the modern day product is any good? lol. If the product nowadays was nearly as good as it was in the Attitude Era it would be getting similar ratings. Good wrestling has been HUGE draws in specific areas and TV networks for years. Hell in the 60's Australia got MILLIONS of televised viewers on their networks. Because back then the product was amazing.

Nowadays, it's obvious to anybody who pays attention to history that wrestling is in a slump period right now because it sucks and thinks it doesn't. WWE Creative has been fooling themselves into believing they are on the right track because they get a "solid" 3.0 rating while Football gets 3 times as many viewers on a WEEKLY basis.

The product is better than it's ever been my ass.

CenaMark54

Even during the post Attitude Era "Down Period" it was only in the sense that instead of getting 8.0's in the ratings they nowadays get 3.0's. Do you think that's because the modern day product is any good? lol. If the product nowadays was nearly as good as it was in the Attitude Era it would be getting similar ratings. Good wrestling has been HUGE draws in specific areas and TV networks for years. Hell in the 60's Australia got MILLIONS of televised viewers on their networks. Because back then the product was amazing.

Nowadays, it's obvious to anybody who pays attention to history that wrestling is in a slump period right now because it sucks and thinks it doesn't. WWE Creative has been fooling themselves into believing they are on the right track because they get a "solid" 3.0 rating while Football gets 3 times as many viewers on a WEEKLY basis.

The product is better than it's ever been my ass.

The WWE works with what it has and evolves with society and its fans. Lets just say Vince decided that tomorrow he would go rated R and bring back the "attitude" Who are you to say that ratings would rise and not fall. What makes you think all the old fans would come back? In reality, the WWE would lose its current fan base just to please a few people on internet wrestling boards. If going back to the attitude era would bring in 8.0 ratings, don't you think Vince would do it?

The attitude era was unique. Once in a lifetime wrestlers came in at the right place and the right time, they caught lightening in a bottle and ran with it. That same formula will not necessarily work today.

In addition, the landscape is different now. There is much more competition on cable television now. Comparing today's ratings to ratings over 10 years ago can just not be done. For example, if you want violence, real violence, you can watch UFC pretty much whenever you want.

Lastly, I never said the overall product is better now. Personally, I loved the attitude era. But I also love great matches that don;t necessarily need a backstory or brilliant writing. I find a lot that I like about today's product, otherwise I wouldn't watch it.

Kizza

Attitude era sucked. Of all the stuff I've seen, it was the storylines that people remembered it for.

soulreaper545

Reaction score
What would you consider the best era for in ring work. The Hogan era where the top guys only used punches, body slams, and leg drops or the attitude era where the top two guys combined used less moves than Cena?

This whole "so and so only knows 3 moves" excuse is total bullshit. Most wrestlers in the WWE use the same 7 to 10 moves. Do you really think Orton doesn't know how to apply a sharpshooter or perform a piledriver? Thats probably the most ignorant arguement you can make.

There's much more to wrestling match than the amount of moves you perform or your "workrate". You "smarks" should all know that. Or maybe we should send you back to smark academy.

see now your saying shit i never even metioned, i never said that they didn't know the moves i said they are never ALLOWED TO USE THE MOVES so stop marking out for cena's cock and learn how to acually read a post before responding

Kizza

^^^^^^ you know i love how your promoting the orton,cena main event in your sig, It really helps prove your point how 2 guys who only know a total of 9 moves is " the best era for pure wrestling matches we have ever seen"

That kinda is indicating that they only know 9 moves, rather then only being allowed to do certain moves. Maybe you should read your own posts before you criticize others for not reading them.

CenaMark54

see now your saying shit i never even metioned, i never said that they didn't know the moves i said they are never ALLOWED TO USE THE MOVES so stop marking out for cena's cock and learn how to acually read a post before responding

Seems like I read it just fine.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
If you look in the middle of all of your bullshit the answer is right there.

Cenamark is right. The in ring product in general is better today than it was during the attitude era. However since most television matches don't go any longer than five minutes you don't get to see that.

Two Scoops is right though too. All the wrestling matches during the attitude era were better in their own way. Except instead of the in ring work being hot shit there was a great deal more excitement associated with each match so it seemed better in comparison.

If WWE could take the story writing they had during the attitude era and combine wit with the work rate they have today across the board, let the wrestlers do their thing and be natural instead of over scripted you would have a hot property on your hands.

Too bad Vince seems to hate wrestling eh?

MardyBum100291

Reaction score
True about the in-ring product being better now, and PPV's are undeniably better! But TV is just, horrific at the moment. Thing is we need more stars, and this terrible TV is what we have to sit through in order to have these new stars. People like McIntyre and Sheamus are coming through by being the stars of this terrible TV, which makes them relevant and interesting now.

But anyway, we're far from stupid, seeing as this is what we wanted for so long, and now we have it, we're all complainng!

Reaction score
I guess that's going to have to come down to personal opinion on what you and I consider good matches then Enzo. Because I completely disagree with you. lol.

Attitude Era had all the mega stars of that era pretty much, involving Rock, Austin, Undertaker, Triple H, Mankind, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit ect.

Then you had the majority of the mid guard having great talents like Edge & Christian, The Dudley Boys, Team Xtreme, Eddie Guerrero, and I actually enjoyed the work of guys like D-Lo Brown, Val Venis, X-Pac, Billy Gunn & Road Dogg, Rikishi, The APA, Too Cool & Big Show.

When it comes to a stacked tag team, mid card & main event roster, you don't get a better roster than in the Attitude Era. Nowadays WWE doesn't even have a shell of a tag team division, their mid card titles are barely squeezed into Pay Per Views let alone given any proper program. The only thing that WWE has even remotely respectable is the actual talented mid carders they have that they refuse to use and the quality main event scene. Without a creative team behind those divisions though to help make those wrestlers put on great matches AND storylines, the product is crap. PG or not.
Good points. Good arguments. I can see where you are coming from.
Fair enough.:wink2: