Antonio Cesaro: Overrated?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Overrated?

• Yes, he's overrated. Future jobber.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He IS overrated... but has potential.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HE'S GREAT! Future main eventer!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • He's okay... not great, not bad.. okay. Mid-carder

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Are you seriously making a thread with a Yes? No?

Care to put your thoughts into this? Ugh.

He's far from over-rated, his matches against Tyson Kidd on Superstars have been quite impressive. I'd like him to be in an actual feud however.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
As Andrew said how about a little more input? Why is he sooo overrated? Whose overrating him cause WWE isn't I don't know who the hell he is now I don't catch most smackdowns, but if WWE were really high on him he'd have been on a PPV.

But please when you post a thread give an opinion.

Not to mention in this Poll you don't have an option for the opposing side.

Zolph Diggler

Reaction score
I'm an idiot. My bad. I have no opinion, I just screwed up the poll.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
If anybody's over-rated it's Brodus Clay.

He's shown he has limited moves, a gimmick that somewhat is over with the crowd. But over-rated award goes to Tensai, his character is a flop. Ala other thread.

Zolph Diggler

Reaction score
I fucked up the damn poll. I'm pro Antonio to an extent though. My bad. Can an admin edit it?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
He should go back to ROH where bland jobbers like him are worshipped.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
If anybody's over-rated it's Brodus Clay.

He's shown he has limited moves, a gimmick that somewhat is over with the crowd. But over-rated award goes to Tensai, his character is a flop. Ala other thread.

Brodus overrated? That would imply that his ring skills are generally praised and well received. I've not heard such things from the IWC at all. As for Tensai... I see something in his character, I just really dig it. But I agree, he's not been that impressive.

Anyway, Antonio. I don't think I've actually watched Smackdown after his debut match so I can't say much, but he impressed the hell out of me in his debut. Its just the rugby gimmick that doesn't fit at all, even if he admittedly does have the look of a rugby player. So for him I'd suggest... I dunno, whatever he was doing in ROH that made everyone recommended Claudio Castagnoli to me.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Brodus overrated? That would imply that his ring skills are generally praised and well received. I've not heard such things from the IWC at all. As for Tensai... I see something in his character, I just really dig it. But I agree, he's not been that impressive.

Anyway, Antonio. I don't think I've actually watched Smackdown after his debut match so I can't say much, but he impressed the hell out of me in his debut. Its just the rugby gimmick that doesn't fit at all, even if he admittedly does have the look of a rugby player. So for him I'd suggest... I dunno, whatever he was doing in ROH that made everyone recommended Claudio Castagnoli to me.

This. People don't seem to truly grasp what overrated means. Brodus isn't overrated because nobody is out there giving him praise for being better than he is.

Same thing with Tensai. Just because he has a gimmick that isnt catching on doesn't mean he's overrated.

As far as Cesaro goes, haven't really seen enough of the guy to judge. Again, I haven't heard too much about him. Heard a lot about Chris Hero, but not his partner.

Plus I don't think this is a question that can be answered now. How many matches has this guy had in the WWE so far. You cant judge someone based on a handful of appearances

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I fucked up the damn poll. I'm pro Antonio to an extent though. My bad. Can an admin edit it?

Send me a pm with the poll options that you want and I can edit it for you.

For me I don't think that he is over-rated, yes he has been hyped up by some fans but I think that he has looked good so far in limited opportunities. It isn't like he has been given ten minutes on Smackdown to show what he can do in the ring. The rugby gimmick is a bit out of left field but they can build on that.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
He should go back to ROH where bland jobbers like him are worshipped.

...what does this mean, exactly? That he lacks personality? That he lacks wrestling ability? Both?

Because neither are the case. I'm not really on the Cesaro bandwagon. I like him, but some people are just crumpling at his feet like he's the second coming (not so much now than before) which I disagree with, but he's not bad. I enjoyed his work in Chikara as the leader of the BDK, I'll say that. It really showcased his mic skills, and his ability to emerge as a star and leader of the promotion's top faction at the time. Even in PWG he put on some good shows. He did the same in ROH, though he was often overshadowed by Chris Hero, which is understandable.

If you ask me, there are certain smarks overrating him, to an extent. Based off of what he's shown us in WWE, he's only mediocre, and a suitable midcarder. But those who seem to be in love with him are only that way because they've seen him at his best, and truly, he is one of the top guys in the business today. At least, one of the top young guys.

So really, to answer the question, no he's not overrated by the general public. Most domestic wrestling fans probably don't know about his pre-WWE work so they're just looking at the body of work he's offered up thus far, and if they're like me, they're not really impressed with what he has done so far. If you ask me, he could easily benefit from a midcard feud over on SD with someone other than Teddy Long. I say put him in a feud with Sin Cara and let those two go all out. Maybe even a mask feud because those are generally very effective in generating heel heat (ie Jericho vs. Mysterio). Cesaro already has the benfit of having worked with such superstars as Delirious, Amasis, Los Ice Creams, Icarus and other lucha-esque competitors over in Chikara, so I think he would know how to lead Cara to a few decent matches.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I enjoy his work, I wouldn't say he's overrated though. Only reason some people would overrate him is because they've been following him for so long.

DashX

Reaction score
I am going to say he is not overrated. He has had a lot great matches on FCW and on Superstars. Although I have not seen what he is like on the mic so I can't judge him on that.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Can't really overrate someone people who only watch WWE barely even know. With that said been a fan for a while and I like the idea of him and Cara feuding. That would be good for both.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Barely seen him on TV except a couple squash matches and he is very impressive, he has great in-ring ability and executes his moves very well, he has a good look and a lot of charisma imo but I'm not a fan of this current rugby gimmick and how he is getting stuck into the Aksana and Teddy thing but hey, at least he's getting a storyline and TV time.

Can be a top star in the near future.

Not overrated.