AEW Dynamite July 10, 2024 - Owen Hart Cup Tournament Finals

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
You agree with 1/2 of his opinion. I agree with the other. :WOW

I honestly think the turn alone is already one of the greatest stories I’ve ever seen with two women. I don’t think I can think of another women’s turn that I could put up there with that kind of impact and visual storytelling.

And as I said last night. This pairing was never the right fit for that kind of mutual parting, but I do think we’re in an era where that’ll be more common. There’ll be others who part amicably.

Even if the story here wasn’t one where Mariah was obviously using Toni to replace her, you can’t really have a heatless match at All In. This match needed someone to be the bad guy.
I think that's part of what helped me be okay with it, just how well done it truly was. Like honestly as they was walking up the stage I was waiting for TONI to be the one to attack her, but then when Mariah grabbed the title and just WHAMMED her in the face and the whole stuff with the shoe, I was like well fuck, this might not be so bad after all. :lol I still much rather have gotten the mutual parting thing, but you give me a good enough story to make up for it, and I'll buckle in.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I just think it’s the cliche rout to go. Like I said last night I’m sick of every pairing ending in a betrayal. The mutual respect story could have worked well in this instance and kept them friends and when Mina comes back they all are a fun little crew. It’s tired and fuck.
Oh for sure, that's what I hope for also, cause like I said last night, I hoped that after Mariah beats her at All In, you get Toni giving her the title, a passing of the torch if you will, and she sends her out on her own. That way when one of them needed back up, or something later on, they got each other. So trust me, I 100% understand how you feel.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think that's part of what helped me be okay with it, just how well done it truly was. Like honestly as they was walking up the stage I was waiting for TONI to be the one to attack her, but then when Mariah grabbed the title and just WHAMMED her in the face and the whole stuff with the shoe, I was like well fuck, this might not be so bad after all. :lol I still much rather have gotten the mutual parting thing, but you give me a good enough story to make up for it, and I'll buckle in.
It’s honestly been brilliantly done. This is one of the stories Tony actually played the long game on and never wavered.

Mariah’s been eyeballing Toni like a piece of meat since day 1. You can go back and see all the times Mariah was clearly coveting her title or her fame. Tony even named her debut after a silver era ‘50s movie where a fan manipulates a delusional actress to steal her fame for herself. Tony told us upfront what this was about. It’s wild.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

The ScapeDubb

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
I figured the turn was coming between Mariah and Toni, but I assumed the play was Toni to turn on Mariah - so I was completely shocked when it was Mariah turning. I assumed she'd play the face in the feud due to Wembley and all. But that said, I loved every minute of it.

Was also completely shocked by Hangman losing. I would love to see Danielson win the title one time before he retires, so I am for it but I also get that logically Hangman should've won. That being said, All Out is like two weeks later and could see Hangman/Swerve headling that show.

The one thing I always criticize TK for is his booking is often predictable (not always a bad thing as often times the predictable thing is logical) but this was the first show in a long time I felt something completely unexpected happen... and it happened twice.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
You agree with 1/2 of his opinion. I agree with the other. :WOW

1/3 actually

And I think saying that the Toni Mariah match needed heat is kinda of silly. The long story of the protege usurping the champion would have been just fine without this shit.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
1/3 actually

And I think saying that the Toni Mariah match needed heat is kinda of silly. The long story of the protege usurping the champion would have been just fine without this shit.
wait :pogba besides Hangman, what don't I agree with? cause if you're counting me accepting what they did with Mariah and Toni that doesn't change that I agree with you, it just means I'm along for the ride.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
1/3 actually

I have to disagree. A 6-week build of mutual respect for a championship just doesn’t sound exciting to me. This is the women’s main event of the biggest show of the year. Especially when that’s basically what the either title match is going to be now. And Swerve also just did it with Ospreay.

Like I was saying before I can’t fault you and Blaze for your opinions and we all enjoyed this pairing, but I don’t see how this story and characters were ever going to be that. Between Toni being a delusional actress that wrestles and Mariah always been a fanatical character, they were never going to be friends forever.

This is the announcement Mariah signed and uses a phrase All About Mariah that’s a reference to All About Eve from the era of film Toni models herself on that’s literally about a fan that manipulated a delusional actress into stealing her spotlight and fame and ruining her life.

Tony gave us brilliant foreshadowing

I’m sure AEW will release a timelines episode soon about this rivalry, but you can see in retrospect that this has been planned from the moment Mariah arrived. There’s always been glances where Mariah covets her spot and her title. She’s been scheming since the beginning.

Here Toni even kinda catches her doing it. The reason this story works so well is it only could have worked on Toni. She’s so delusional she didn’t understand that a friend doesn’t cosplay as you during matches and uses your entrance video and your ring gear. Her narcissism refused to see that Mariah wanted to be her and that’s a recipe for disaster.

Anyways. I get it. The pairing was fun and we can agree to disagree on it. I’m just excited for this and I’m sorry you’re not. I get how that feels.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
wait :pogba besides Hangman, what don't I agree with? cause if you're counting me accepting what they did with Mariah and Toni that doesn't change that I agree with you, it just means I'm along for the ride.
He’s counting Jericho and Joe. I think.

Which I always just forget about the Jericho segment as soon I’m done seeing it.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
He’s counting Jericho and Joe. I think.

Which I always just forget about the Jericho segment as soon I’m done seeing it.
Ahh, yeah, that. :lol no even there I think Joe should have won, and then maybe they can do some beat down to get heat, and write him off.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I have to disagree. A 6-week build of mutual respect for a championship just doesn’t sound exciting to me. This is the women’s main event of the biggest show of the year. Especially when that’s basically what the either title match is going to be now. And Swerve also just did it with Ospreay.

Like I was saying before I can’t fault you and Blaze for your opinions and we all enjoyed this pairing, but I don’t see how this story and characters were ever going to be that. Between Toni being a delusional actress that wrestles and Mariah always been a fanatical character, they were never going to be friends forever.

This is the announcement Mariah signed and uses a phrase All About Mariah that’s a reference to All About Eve from the era of film Toni models herself on that’s literally about a fan that manipulated a delusional actress into stealing her spotlight and fame and ruining her life.

Tony gave us brilliant foreshadowing

I’m sure AEW will release a timelines episode soon about this rivalry, but you can see in retrospect that this has been planned from the moment Mariah arrived. There’s always been glances where Mariah covets her spot and her title. She’s been scheming since the beginning.

Here Toni even kinda catches her doing it. The reason this story works so well is it only could have worked on Toni. She’s so delusional she didn’t understand that a friend doesn’t cosplay as you during matches and uses your entrance video and your ring gear. Her narcissism refused to see that Mariah wanted to be her and that’s a recipe for disaster.

Anyways. I get it. The pairing was fun and we can agree to disagree on it. I’m just excited for this and I’m sorry you’re not. I get how that feels.

Appreciate the effort but nothing is changing my mind on this

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

@Hidden Blaze it’s wild to see how much planning and foreshadowing Tony has put into this story. It might be the most long term story Tony has committed to without wavering since Hangman and Omega and this one I feel like might even beat as far as the longest continuous sorry since Hangman and Omega took a few breaks along the way. I look forward to discovering even more subtitle nods that happened that hinted at this. We’re about to eat good, buddy. Toni deserves this. She’s had such a great reign and the end of her reign is going to be equally memorable.

Toni was so delusional she really couldn’t see it. :drose

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Hidden Blaze said:
Ahh, yeah, that. :lol no even there I think Joe should have won, and then maybe they can do some beat down to get heat, and write him off.
respectfully I think the story dictated Joe losing there

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I know ppl hate y2j but heels gotta win until they lose at ppv

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg

@Hidden Blaze it’s wild to see how much planning and foreshadowing Tony has put into this story. It might be the most long term story Tony has committed to without wavering since Hangman and Omega and this one I feel like might even beat as far as the longest continuous sorry since Hangman and Omega took a few breaks along the way. I look forward to discovering even more subtitle nods that happened that hinted at this. We’re about to eat good, buddy. Toni deserves this. She’s had such a great reign and the end of her reign is going to be equally memorable.

Toni was so delusional she really couldn’t see it. :drose

Oh yeah, trust me :heston I saw a lot of the signs a lot of the times, just as time went on, I didn't want to accept them so I blocked them and erased them from my mind. But I mean, this is just more layers that will allow them both to show just how great they truly are. We're about to get a great story, with great character work, and then a great match top it off., and Toni putting over Mariah? It's going to be beautiful darling!

I went from being upset at how short Toni's first two reigns were(and I will still die on the hill she shouldn't have lost either when she did) as they at the time were both the two shortest reigns(now you got Saraya and those two weird Shida runs lower) to her having the third longest reign. I'm content now, and happy.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP