AEW Double Or Nothing Card

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I still feel that a better comparison for AEW would be upstart TNA, if the Jarretts had Turner money. A new company with little to no history, started and run by wrestlers, using a combination of top indie talents and guys recognizable from the big promotions. Hell, it may not be weekly, but theyre even starting out with a PPV-only model.

The money is really enough to be the difference maker. And any new wrestling company is going to start out with little to no history since it is a new company, will likely be run by wrestlers as nearly every wrestling company in the world is run by wrestlers and likely uses a combo of top indie talents and recognizable guys from big promotions. I don't actually think anyone can start a new wrestling company without those thing.

Honestly, I think if they really want to "evolve wrestling" or whatever their stupid mission is, they should be looking to get a weekly major wrestling show onto one of the big streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, or even YouTube Red (or whatever YouTube's streaming thing is called). Streaming services are the future of television after all, and are growing in the number of users every day. Capitol Wrestling, House of Hardcore, AAA, and Impact (among others) are all starting to use Twitch as a way to broaden their audience and make it feel more interactive. WWE even is starting to do this in recent years with the whole Facebook Watch thing.

You seem very bent out of shape about this. If you don't like the idea, don't watch it and it will absolutely not affect you in any way. I think Friends and Full House are two of the worst shows ever, but my solution was not to watch them. If you don't watch nor discuss the things that you don't like, you'll be a lot happier.

I get your point, and I'm not entirely disagreeing with you on it. I'm not totally shitting on it and am willing to give it a fair shot, because at the end of the day I'm a stupid wrestling fan who will basically watch anything if wrestling is on the marquee. I am simply just not thrilled with this card in the slightest, and am genuinely curious as to what makes AEW so special compared to other "major" companies on TV.

The biggest problem with professional wrestling in the world right now is WWE. WWE not only offers the most popular wrestling product in the world, they have their "Sports Entertainment" label which they support by way too much story telling, way too many backstage talks and just not as much wrestling as a wrestling show should have. So they want to offer a product that is different than WWE. Every company has a mission, it's sort of the entire point of capitalism. People who like it more than WWE will watch it, if they don't like it, they won't watch it.

This is more towards the point I was making. I just don't know how I feel about it until they do something other than a big PPV. Will they still be running 15-20,000 seat arenas every week?

We won't know until it happens. This is just a start. Just like the WWE Network was just a start and I was having this discussion with so many people who insisted the network would fail (I remembered their names and I went back and mocked them afterward). Every company has to have a starting place. The beginning product is rarely what the eventual product will look like.

Or will they be running smaller venues and only using big ones for the major shows?
Is Jim Ross on commentary a good idea at this point?

I think it's a great idea. And I don't even like JR. But he is likely the most popular commentator in wrestling history and he actually talks about the matches. He hasn't lost any of his talent. WWE has been stupid for the past ten years, not taking advantage of his play by play. Even though I am not a JR guy, it will be easier watching AEW matches than matches in WWE where Michael Cole talks about Justin Bieber.

Will AEW end up being anything more than a glorified circle jerk for Cody and his friends like their YouTube show?

Cody is not in charge. He is an executive but this is not just a case of a billionaire giving some wrestlers some money and letting them do whatever they want. The Khans have some advantages that TNA did not have. First, Panda Energy was not nearly as big as a company as Khan's company. In fact, Panda's highest net worth for the entire company has barely been above $500 million. Plus, the Khans have experience with sports teams, owning two of them. And they're going to be hands on, unlike the Carter. Not even Dixie Carter really did anything, but everything I've been reading seems to indicate that the Khan's are not just giving Cody and blank check and total control.

Will they be able to continue to generate the buzz they have now for their once in a while shows once they start running weekly? I do think there is potential in AEW, and again, I'm gonna give it a fair chance. I think it's fair to be skeptical of promises being made or ideas being offered, though, when there are other companies out there that have already been doing the same thing and have only seen moderate results once the initial buzz wore off

Every starting company has questions. All we can do is wait and see. I like seeing, so I am going to give it a shot. If it sucks, I'll stop watching.

TheWolf

The Artiste
Reaction score
I have to give AEW credit. They are excellently marketing their "stick it to Vince and the girls who won't date me" promotion to their target audience. It's a small niche audience. But it's an audience with nothing better to do with their time and money than line the pockets of average talents like Rhodes and Omega.

Kudos to all involved.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Crash

Reaction score
I have to give AEW credit. They are excellently marketing their "stick it to Vince and the girls who won't date me" promotion to their target audience. It's a small niche audience. But it's an audience with nothing better to do with their time and money than line the pockets of average talents like Rhodes and Omega.

Kudos to all involved.

tumblr_oupeccg1M31rumiojo1_400.gif

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

Kudos to all involved.

I guess that's better than having nothing better to do than go to a wrestling forum and try to troll people into arguing with you all the while showcasing your intense stupidity.

• Wow
Reactions: Rosie

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I guess that's better than having nothing better to do than go to a wrestling forum and try to troll people into arguing with you all the while showcasing your intense stupidity.

tenor.gif

TheWolf

The Artiste
Reaction score
How am I trolling?

I think Cody has played a smart game. He's going after that incel money. It's easy to con incels into thinking they are rebelling against the system that they hate so much. The WWE is a symbol for their failure with women, life, etc. "You are not being fair to me and giving me what I want"

Yes, it's a small niche audience. But they have a lot of time on their hands. They don't have social lives. They therefore waste all their money on wrestling.

I admire Cody's hustle. He's a very average performer. But a good businessman.

Last edited:

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
How am I trolling?

I think Cody has played a smart game. He's going after that incel money. It's easy to con incels into thinking they are rebelling against the system that they hate so much. The WWE is a symbol for their failure with women, life, etc. "You are not being fair to me and giving me what I want"

Yes, it's a small niche audience. But they have a lot of time on their hands. They don't have social lives. They therefore waste all their money on wrestling.

I admire Cody's hustle. He's a very average performer. But a good businessman.

Here's where it comes off as you constantly flaming and trolling. There are people on this site who may enjoy things that you bash. They may not only like those things, but there are people who enjoy Kenny Omega, or people who have the ability to tell a good story with a variety of moves. Maybe they also enjoy someone like Batista because of nostalgia, the fact he is a Hollywood star, and a nice powerhouse is also fun in the ring. But then you also call these fans incels, saying they suck, they are dumb and that they are fucking losers and it seems like every goddamn time you post a thread you do it to spark outrage to the point where it gets locked. We're all fucking tired of it.

Here's my idea for you:
  • Stop insulting fans with your arguments. It is not adding to your argument and it only causes problems.
  • Accept the fact that in wrestling and in life, that people can like multiple things no matter how "niche," large, or anywhere in between. If you like big larger than life personalities that's fine also. Big men also have a place in wrestling, just look at how over Braun was before he was booked into oblivion.
  • Stop using Incel. Like seriously, nobody uses that in average every day conversation. (Also throw in a good dozen other ones you use).
  • Also, not needed but considering some of your tastes, check out Brian Cage because I think he is someone who is "from the independent scene" who is a perfect powerhouse and can both put on great matches and look legit can rip your head off.
If you can do these things, then maybe people won't feel as if you're trolling. Maybe then people will accept you here. If not, then I am sure very soon an admin or mod will determine that you're not welcome here once the entertainment value wears off.

TheWolf

The Artiste
Reaction score
Here's where it comes off as you constantly flaming and trolling. There are people on this site who may enjoy things that you bash. They may not only like those things, but there are people who enjoy Kenny Omega, or people who have the ability to tell a good story with a variety of moves. Maybe they also enjoy someone like Batista because of nostalgia, the fact he is a Hollywood star, and a nice powerhouse is also fun in the ring. But then you also call these fans incels, saying they suck, they are dumb and that they are fucking losers and it seems like every goddamn time you post a thread you do it to spark outrage to the point where it gets locked. We're all fucking tired of it.

Here's my idea for you:
  • Stop insulting fans with your arguments. It is not adding to your argument and it only causes problems.
  • Accept the fact that in wrestling and in life, that people can like multiple things no matter how "niche," large, or anywhere in between. If you like big larger than life personalities that's fine also. Big men also have a place in wrestling, just look at how over Braun was before he was booked into oblivion.
  • Stop using Incel. Like seriously, nobody uses that in average every day conversation. (Also throw in a good dozen other ones you use).
  • Also, not needed but considering some of your tastes, check out Brian Cage because I think he is someone who is "from the independent scene" who is a perfect powerhouse and can both put on great matches and look legit can rip your head off.
If you can do these things, then maybe people won't feel as if you're trolling. Maybe then people will accept you here. If not, then I am sure very soon an admin or mod will determine that you're not welcome here once the entertainment value wears off.
I can only call it as I see it.

A lot of AEW/Bryan/Rollins fans are social outcasts. I don't like their entitlement or how they force their niche tastes down everyone's throats and expect WWE to cater for them. That's the most pressing issue in wrestling at the moment.

I can however admire what Cody Rhodes has done here. The average neckbeard needs to feel that they are victimised and that they can rebel against the system in some way. It's their coping mechanism. Cody has tapped into this very well. It's the same reason why a small group of vocal fans started cheering for Bryan. "He's like us, if he can beat the system that's against him, so can we".

I am not saying anything new. Batista worked similar sentiments into his early 2014 promos. Disco Inferno has made similar comments.

Crash

Reaction score
I can only call it as I see it.

A lot of AEW/Bryan/Rollins fans are social outcasts. I don't like their entitlement or how they force their niche tastes down everyone's throats and expect WWE to cater for them. That's the most pressing issue in wrestling at the moment.

I can however admire what Cody Rhodes has done here. The average neckbeard needs to feel that they are victimised and that they can rebel against the system in some way. It's their coping mechanism. Cody has tapped into this very well. It's the same reason why a small group of vocal fans started cheering for Bryan. "He's like us, if he can beat the system that's against him, so can we".

I am not saying anything new. Batista worked similar sentiments into his early 2014 promos. Disco Inferno has made similar comments.

I'll be honest, I do respect your opinions and actually agree with some of what you say(not a lot but some) and I am not lying.

But like some people said before, you're losing all credibility when you use insults like "neckbeard" or "incels", that's 4chan tier shitposting.