AEW Double Or Nothing Card

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Village Idiot

The Lunatic Fringe
Banned
Reaction score

"Hangman" Adam Page vs. Pac
Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho
Dr. Britt Baker vs. Nyla Rose vs. Kylie Rae
Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes
The Young Bucks (c) vs. The Lucha Bros
Six-man tag team match

SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky) vs. Strong Hearts (Cima, T-Hawk, and El Lindaman)
21 Wrestler Battle Royale
Sonny Kiss vs. Kip Sabian vs. Brandon Cutler vs. Ace Romero vs. Glacier vs. Brian Pillman Jr. vs. Sunny Daze vs. MJF vs. Joey Janela vs. Chuck Taylor vs. Trent Baretta vs. TBA

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Decent start to the card with an anticipated rematch, PAC vs Page, a fun six-man tag, ALSO THE YOUNG BUCKS VS LUCHA BROS and even the women's triple threat (yes, not an intergender match) seeming like it'll be a nice dynamic of two plucky heroes trying to topple a big threat.

At this point I'm wondering what we will see for other signings like MJF, Sammy Guevara, like if they will be in the Battle Royale or if they will face each other or have other roles. Personally, if Marty Scurll's contract with ROH ends after the MSG show and he decides to go to AEW, I could so see him facing Cody's new favourite MJF (or Cody himself).

Reactions: Crash

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the card already. But you can put Adam Page in a pair of skimpy tights and I will give the PPV a 10 rating anyway,

• Haha
Reactions: Crash

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Yeah, I like the card already. But you can put Adam Page in a pair of skimpy tights and I will give the PPV a 10 rating anyway,
He's getting in shape for that #FullGear

Also add Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros, that match is confirmed.

Reactions: Crash and Jacob Fox

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Yeah, the card looks good, and if I still cared for Wrestling I would watch it, but I can pin point who would win the matches thus far.

Crash

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this, should be even better than All-in.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this, should be even better than All-in.

I am very looking forward to it too. I find it amusing that so many people are dissing it before it even begins. I mean, All In was the only thing they did and that was better than anything WWE put out last year. Yeah, Cody has been acting like a weird schmuck but I don't care about that.

Most of you are too young to remember this, but this isn't the first time I have seen this. In the mid 1990s, a man named Ted Turner started spending a shitload of money to sign wrestling talent and build the company. WWE and a lot of wrestling fans threw hissy fits because of this. And now, some guys come in and want to start their own wrestling company and they have a multi billionaire supporting them. And guess what, guys are throwing hissy fits again and insulting the company and talking about how bad it is when it BARELY EVEN EXISTS.

I also find it funny that in some places I have seen people who do nothing but complain about WWE talking about how AEW can't be as good as WWE. It is funny.

I explain it this way. People just want something to bitch about.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
I am very looking forward to it too. I find it amusing that so many people are dissing it before it even begins. I mean, All In was the only thing they did and that was better than anything WWE put out last year. Yeah, Cody has been acting like a weird schmuck but I don't care about that.

Most of you are too young to remember this, but this isn't the first time I have seen this. In the mid 1990s, a man named Ted Turner started spending a shitload of money to sign wrestling talent and build the company. WWE and a lot of wrestling fans threw hissy fits because of this. And now, some guys come in and want to start their own wrestling company and they have a multi billionaire supporting them. And guess what, guys are throwing hissy fits again and insulting the company and talking about how bad it is when it BARELY EVEN EXISTS.

I also find it funny that in some places I have seen people who do nothing but complain about WWE talking about how AEW can't be as good as WWE. It is funny.

I explain it this way. People just want something to bitch about.
Yeah but WCW was great. It helped having an already established history, too, and also happened at a time when wrestling wasn't as easily accessible in the quantity or quality it is today. Wrestling right now is in an absolute boom period in terms of available talent, and if you wanna watch specific guys or matches, you dont have to fast forward your VHS tape anymore.

While I'm not saying it's a bad idea or that it will do bad (smarks gonna smark, after all), what makes this company any different from MLW, ROH, or Impact other than money? Until they get an actual big time tv deal at a decent time slot, they are still below at least those 3 companies, not to mention obviously WWE.

Personally, I don't see anything on this card I'm super hyped for outside of the battle royal and CIMA wrestling. Will still probably watch just to say I gave it a fair shot, and because i assume the nL boys will be doing commentary for it. But I'm going in with really low expectations

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Yeah but WCW was great. It helped having an already established history, too, and also happened at a time when wrestling wasn't as easily accessible in the quantity or quality it is today. Wrestling right now is in an absolute boom period in terms of available talent, and if you wanna watch specific guys or matches, you dont have to fast forward your VHS tape anymore.

While I'm not saying it's a bad idea or that it will do bad (smarks gonna smark, after all), what makes this company any different from MLW, ROH, or Impact other than money? Until they get an actual big time tv deal at a decent time slot, they are still below at least those 3 companies, not to mention obviously WWE.

Personally, I don't see anything on this card I'm super hyped for outside of the battle royal and CIMA wrestling. Will still probably watch just to say I gave it a fair shot, and because i assume the nL boys will be doing commentary for it. But I'm going in with really low expectations

In the Jim Herd days, WCW was anything but great. It was damn awful. I mean, they had Robocop save Sting in a match once. Herd fired Flair, even though he was the biggest draw they had. He had Big Josh go to the ring with dancing bears. He tried to make Stan Hansen a funny cowboy. During this time, all their PPV's had fans chanting "We want Flair!" distracting heavily from the matches.

When Flair came back and Herd was gone, they did everything they could to cover up the Herd years and really pretend they never happened. Everyone was laughing at WCW when they tried to compete with WWF and just making fun of them because they knew WCW couldn't compete...

Yes, AEW is a new promotion. But that really doesn't hurt them because they are getting many well known wrestlers. Now AEW may not yet have the name recognition or the history, but they have Chris Jericho, and Jericho has history as well as name recognition strong enough to get people to give it a chance. And when they come to see him, they might just end up liking the ones they don't know yet.

When the WWE Network came out, I argued like hell with people that it was a great idea and it would succeed. they lost money in the first quarter of the network's life, but that was due to startup capital. I kept telling people it would succeed and people kept telling me that the hemmoraging of money had to stop. And look what happened. It became their most successful business model of all time and WWE's worth has doubled since the Network was released.

My point is only to not just assume something isn't going to work because it seems futile or like just a bad idea. Many times when people feel that way, they end up eating a lot of crow.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
While I'm not saying it's a bad idea or that it will do bad (smarks gonna smark, after all), what makes this company any different from MLW, ROH, or Impact other than money?
What AEW different from MLW, RoH, and Impact is kind of obvious. Every Wrestling company has a different feel to it, I should know as I was watching around 12 or so companies at one time and each one "felt" different. C*4 Wrestling felt different Progress, Progress felt different from Demand, Shimmer felt different from Women's Wrestling Revolution, Stardom feels different from Ice Ribbon, and so forth. Hell even hardcore promotions felt different ,and those are the ones that get told they are the same thing over and over again. Impact has a very professional feel and it makes a great WWE alternative because they are kind of like them to some extent. You get the same feel, but it seems more personal. Ring of Honor feels like a professional Indy promotion that is used to enhanced future wrestlers, and MLW and even NWA have that old skool territory feel to it. AEW will have the feel of either early WWF when they gave a shit about their fans or it will have the feel of WCW when it was top dog and gave a shit about their fans. As I said before each promotion I watched felt different and All In was a celebration of all that so it felt unique so to say, and even though I am done with wrestling I will say that Double or Nothing and even AEW will have its own unique feel to it.

Just my two cents.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
In the Jim Herd days, WCW was anything but great. It was damn awful. I mean, they had Robocop save Sting in a match once. Herd fired Flair, even though he was the biggest draw they had. He had Big Josh go to the ring with dancing bears. He tried to make Stan Hansen a funny cowboy. During this time, all their PPV's had fans chanting "We want Flair!" distracting heavily from the matches.

When Flair came back and Herd was gone, they did everything they could to cover up the Herd years and really pretend they never happened. Everyone was laughing at WCW when they tried to compete with WWF and just making fun of them because they knew WCW couldn't compete...

Yes, AEW is a new promotion. But that really doesn't hurt them because they are getting many well known wrestlers. Now AEW may not yet have the name recognition or the history, but they have Chris Jericho, and Jericho has history as well as name recognition strong enough to get people to give it a chance. And when they come to see him, they might just end up liking the ones they don't know yet.

When the WWE Network came out, I argued like hell with people that it was a great idea and it would succeed. they lost money in the first quarter of the network's life, but that was due to startup capital. I kept telling people it would succeed and people kept telling me that the hemmoraging of money had to stop. And look what happened. It became their most successful business model of all time and WWE's worth has doubled since the Network was released.

My point is only to not just assume something isn't going to work because it seems futile or like just a bad idea. Many times when people feel that way, they end up eating a lot of crow.
I still feel that a better comparison for AEW would be upstart TNA, if the Jarretts had Turner money. A new company with little to no history, started and run by wrestlers, using a combination of top indie talents and guys recognizable from the big promotions. Hell, it may not be weekly, but theyre even starting out with a PPV-only model.

Honestly, I think if they really want to "evolve wrestling" or whatever their stupid mission is, they should be looking to get a weekly major wrestling show onto one of the big streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, or even YouTube Red (or whatever YouTube's streaming thing is called). Streaming services are the future of television after all, and are growing in the number of users every day. Capitol Wrestling, House of Hardcore, AAA, and Impact (among others) are all starting to use Twitch as a way to broaden their audience and make it feel more interactive. WWE even is starting to do this in recent years with the whole Facebook Watch thing.

I get your point, and I'm not entirely disagreeing with you on it. I'm not totally shitting on it and am willing to give it a fair shot, because at the end of the day I'm a stupid wrestling fan who will basically watch anything if wrestling is on the marquee. I am simply just not thrilled with this card in the slightest, and am genuinely curious as to what makes AEW so special compared to other "major" companies on TV.

What AEW different from MLW, RoH, and Impact is kind of obvious. Every Wrestling company has a different feel to it, I should know as I was watching around 12 or so companies at one time and each one "felt" different. C*4 Wrestling felt different Progress, Progress felt different from Demand, Shimmer felt different from Women's Wrestling Revolution, Stardom feels different from Ice Ribbon, and so forth. Hell even hardcore promotions felt different ,and those are the ones that get told they are the same thing over and over again. Impact has a very professional feel and it makes a great WWE alternative because they are kind of like them to some extent. You get the same feel, but it seems more personal. Ring of Honor feels like a professional Indy promotion that is used to enhanced future wrestlers, and MLW and even NWA have that old skool territory feel to it. AEW will have the feel of either early WWF when they gave a shit about their fans or it will have the feel of WCW when it was top dog and gave a shit about their fans. As I said before each promotion I watched felt different and All In was a celebration of all that so it felt unique so to say, and even though I am done with wrestling I will say that Double or Nothing and even AEW will have its own unique feel to it.

Just my two cents.
This is more towards the point I was making. I just don't know how I feel about it until they do something other than a big PPV. Will they still be running 15-20,000 seat arenas every week? Or will they be running smaller venues and only using big ones for the major shows? Is Jim Ross on commentary a good idea at this point? Will AEW end up being anything more than a glorified circle jerk for Cody and his friends like their YouTube show? Will they be able to continue to generate the buzz they have now for their once in a while shows once they start running weekly? I do think there is potential in AEW, and again, I'm gonna give it a fair chance. I think it's fair to be skeptical of promises being made or ideas being offered, though, when there are other companies out there that have already been doing the same thing and have only seen moderate results once the initial buzz wore off