AEW Collision/WBD upfronts MegaThread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The funny thing is people associate great storylines and promos with sports entertainment and I think that's completely inaccurate. Many of the great storylines have come from ECW, ROH, Japanese promotions and other places branded as "real wrestling" or "alternative" or whatever you wanna apply. To me the shit that makes something sports entertainment is the nature of the segments, use of skits, celebrities, non-wrestlers, etc. or jusy having a product that revolves around angles where the matches are basically just tools to advance a story.
I both agree and disagree. I think most modern wrestling products have adapted some form of sports entertainment. It doesn’t mean it has to go full blown with it like WWE has, but I think if you look at any wrestling product prior to say 1986 and almost any today you can see how the product has evolved.

ECW, ROH etc I would argue all have elements of sports entertainment. I would even say many elements of current wwe sports entertainment evolved by replicating products like ECW etc.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I both agree and disagree. I think most modern wrestling products have adapted some form of sports entertainment. It doesn’t mean it has to go full blown with it like WWE has, but I think if you look at any wrestling product prior to say 1986 and almost any today you can see how the product has evolved.

ECW, ROH etc I would argue all have elements of sports entertainment. I would even say many elements of current wwe sports entertainment evolved by replicating products like ECW etc.
Okay then go back to territorial days then, pre-anything Rock n Wrestling.... they did storylines with insane heat and turns back to at least the 70s. To me the sports entertainment moniker basically equates to lessening the emphasis on match quality and fluffing shit up to give it more mass appeal, the way that Vince did to bring WWF to the power it would become. But on that note, I don't think it's as binary as you're either sports entertainment or not. Like you said, through the years there have been many different influences that bleed into all different companies and their product.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I don't wanna sound like a know it all but God dammit I swear every time he or Meltzer has a report that I'm like "eh doesn't make sense" the fuckers correct it lmao
nah bro it's been happening a lot more since Brawl Out too, it's not just you lol. Remember the Saudi sale stuff as an extreme example?

Reactions: Chris

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Okay then go back to territorial days then, pre-anything Rock n Wrestling.... they did storylines with insane heat and turns back to at least the 70s. To me the sports entertainment moniker basically equates to lessening the emphasis on match quality and fluffing shit up to give it more mass appeal, the way that Vince did to bring WWF to the power it would become. But on that note, I don't think it's as binary as you're either sports entertainment or not. Like you said, through the years there have been many different influences that bleed into all different companies and their product.
To me match quality has nothing really to with sports entertainment in and of itself. Like I said that’s because WWE decided to go all in on one presentation. I agree where you say it’s not a binary. I think the vast majority of pro wrestling today has elements of sports entertainment to varying degrees.

To me sports entertainment is anything that adds an element of soap operas. This is the introduction of backstage segments that are produced, taped and aired in rather than having an interviewer by the stage or in the ring live. Especially segments that feature wild angles in locker rooms or the parking lot. Stuff that adds more of a television show atmosphere.

Not saying wrestling never had angles. Pro wrestling has always been about telling stories, but there’s definitely a difference between when everything happened in the ring and the storyline were always this guy wants this guy’s belt so he tried to take out his eye in the ring and the various storylines we do now that we have television quality cameras and time to produce stuff in advance etc.

Reactions: Hoss

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

hot take, sports entertainment is just a wwe term and storytelling, angles and all that stuff was already a part of wrestling and always has been. WWE just used that term because they wanted to differentiate themselves from WCW and also probably try to shed the big bad wrestling word. its mostly branding, imo

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
nah bro it's been happening a lot more since Brawl Out too, it's not just you lol. Remember the Saudi sale stuff as an extreme example?

Yeah tbf to that one tho, I don't think SRS or Meltzer ever acted like they believed it. First official report about that I remember on F4W was even "Saudi rumors are not true" lol

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
its one of those catchall terms too that have lost all meaning for me these days

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
hot take, sports entertainment is just a wwe term and storytelling, angles and all that stuff was already a part of wrestling and always has been. WWE just used that term because they wanted to differentiate themselves from WCW and also probably try to shed the big bad wrestling word. its mostly branding, imo
you both agreed with me :proud

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The word was invented by WWE, but I think it has a legit application when referring to specific elements of pro wrestling. And also, what I said to Hoss in response. There are certain things that evolved since the earlier days of pro wrestling.

WCW also had its own form sports entertainment. To me everything about the NWO with sports entertainment. There quick cut black and white backstage interviews to me was the elevation of sports entertainment that Vince ripped off.

I think sports entertainment just gets a bad rep for meaning exactly what WWE does when it doesn’t have to. Like I said in my first post that you agreed with AEW itself has a nice mixture of pro wrestling and sports entertainment that draws me to it.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
To me match quality has nothing really to with sports entertainment in and of itself. Like I said that’s because WWE decided to go all in on one presentation. I agree where you say it’s not a binary. I think the vast majority of pro wrestling today has elements of sports entertainment to varying degrees.

To me sports entertainment is anything that adds an element of soap operas. This is the introduction of backstage segments that are produced, taped and aired in rather than having an interviewer by the stage or in the ring live. Especially segments that feature wild angles in locker rooms or the parking lot. Stuff that adds more of a television show atmosphere.

Not saying wrestling never had angles. Pro wrestling has always been about telling stories, but there’s definitely a difference between when everything happened in the ring and the storyline were always this guy wants this guy’s belt so he tried to take out his eye in the ring and the various storylines we do now that we have television quality cameras and time to produce stuff in advance etc.
I can see all of this. I think to be fair some of these angle types just came about with new technology and more money, but that's not really important to what I was originally trying to say. Which is basically the idea that you only get stories and characters in a sports entertainment product (WWE). If someone's explanation for not watching shit that isn't WWE is that they just like stories and characters.... I'd say that's either an ignorant or at least poorly worded statement because barring some pretty extreme examples, there are comparable characters and stories to be found throughout wrestling and always has been, regardless of if the company is considered sports entertainment or not :lol

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
It's cool that AEW is getting a second two hour show. I won't be tuning in Saturdays for the most part just cause socially speaking it's when I'm usually doing stuff. So I'm thankful I have DVR on YouTube. I also hope they don't do the champions in a brand split, alright let me say not all champions. IMO, it would kill the trios title, I just don't see how it would be possible to have enough trios on one brand to keep a title on that specific brand to keep it from getting stale. Also the same goes with the tag titles.

As far as single titles, I'm fine with which ever, it would make the INT. and TNT feel equal which I think they pretty much are (hell I might argue with OC having the strap the international might have been on a higher level recently than the TNT). On the other side I feel like it's a double edge sword to split up the TBS/Women's belts. At first I don't think they were meant to be equal, but now they kind of are just on the merit of what Jade has been doing. However, I feel that the TBS title was meant to be and I feel it should be something to lift up talent from the women's division that isn't meant to be in the main event level of the women's division (clearly a level that Jade is currently, meaning she's as main event in the AEW machine as really Hayter).

Overall it's cool, hopefully I can keep up, but yes between AEW and WWE sometimes it does feel too much between other stuff on media that I enjoy watching.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Collision will be the show I can already see myself watching on a delay more often just to skip commercials. Weeknights are whatever, unless I have actual plans, it's just a routine to put on whatever wrestling, saving that half-hour or so by skipping commercials wouldn't make a difference but my weekend time is more valuable

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
UniqueUnkemptKillifish-max-1mb.gif
it begins

2wUQQ7eym2zUpHcZhhP14HdpcqZ1yA5QvJPzfNq4u-I.jpg

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
No offense, I'm not sticking up for any dirt sheet writers. But doesn't it just feel like if Punk really didn't give a shit he wouldn't have to bring up his name if shit are just rumors and what not. It's like like Alvarez is saying Punk murdered a guy or something. TBH, Punk doing this shit is what makes me think he'll never change and always be an issue in any company at some point down the road when he doesn't like something done.

Reactions: Roy Mustang