2014 NFL Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I'll agree with this.. Alex Smith is a product of a west coast system, he can control it but he sucks too much to make it better than average.
Alex Smith doesn't need to be better. He's been very productive the past three years, completing 60% of his passes each year and having a 53/17 TD/INT ratio.
Smith's problem is he has a ceiling and will only take his team so far. He appears to be low on intangibles and can only 'do as he's told'.

QB's with 'less talent' with higher intangibles win Super Bowls because they have the ability to lift their team and master the scheme with extreme ease.
A guy like Kyle Orton could lead his team to a Super Bowl if his team was extremely tight and loaded on both sides. I doubt Smith has that same ability.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Getting sacks in the second half of preseason games against scrubs doesn't make him any more fit to be an NFL player. He simply isn't big or explosive enough to help a team as a pass rusher at DE and he isn't agile enough to play LB. He was a good college player who doesn't translate to the pros; happens with dozens and dozens of high caliber NCAA Players each year.

Dolph'sZiggler, leading the charge for gay equality. :obama:

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
New England officially trades Ryan Mallett to the Houston Texans in exchange for a 6th round pick.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I'm not even sure Mallett was worth that much.
I'd be cool with it if I was the Texans, dude has only been in the league 3 years and was holding the clipboard for Tom Brady so he must've learned a lot; plus being a 3rd round pick only a few years ago and being almost 6'7. We'll see what happens, I really like the move by the Texans though, I really think the Rams should've made that move.

Texans have also claimed multi-usage WR Damaris Johnson off the waivers from the Eagles. While waiving Case Keenum to make room for Mallett.

Michael Sam has cleared waivers and is officially a Free Agent, I would imagine if Jeff Fisher didn't just pick Sam for the publicity stint then he would sign him to the practice squad.

Cleveland Browns have named Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins as their starting Wide Receivers.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I'd be cool with it if I was the Texans, dude has only been in the league 3 years and was holding the clipboard for Tom Brady so he must've learned a lot; plus being a 3rd round pick only a few years ago and being almost 6'7. We'll see what happens, I really like the move by the Texans though, I really think the Rams should've made that move.
His lack of mobility is a concern and it is possible to be too tall. Generally, when Belichick lets somebody go it's for a reason.
His upside must not be what you think it is. I trust Belichick's evaluation of talent. He let Matt Cassel go because he knew he was good , but not that good.
Cassel was good trade bait, but coaches understand every nook, cranny and potential injury a player has.
The Pats will let go of a player with maybe a year or two good years left and you'll see them bottom out. It happens over and over.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
His lack of mobility is a concern and it is possible to be too tall. Generally, when Belichick lets somebody go it's for a reason.
His upside must not be what you think it is. I trust Belichick's evaluation of talent. He let Matt Cassel go because he knew he was good , but not that good.
Cassel was good trade bait, but coaches understand every nook, cranny and potential injury a player has.
The Pats will let go of a player with maybe a year or two good years left and you'll see them bottom out. It happens over and over.

I know Mallett's upside, while everyone was watching Cam Newton have an amazing year I was watching Mallett quietly put together a helluva year himself, the kid has a GREAT arm almost Elite. He's a classic drop back QB so mobility isn't his first priority however since he came into the league it's undoubtedly true that both his mobility and pocket presence have improved.. You do realize that they were actually trying to actively shop him since preseason of the 2013-2014 season for a 3rd round pick right? The only reason they took a 6th rounder is because of the time left on the contract mixed with Garoppolo ready to start being groomed.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
I know Mallett's upside, while everyone was watching Cam Newton have an amazing year I was watching Mallett quietly put together a helluva year himself, the kid has a GREAT arm almost Elite. He's a classic drop back QB so mobility isn't his first priority however since he came into the league it's undoubtedly true that both his mobility and pocket presence have improved.. You do realize that they were actually trying to actively shop him since preseason of the 2013-2014 season for a 3rd round pick right? The only reason they took a 6th rounder is because of the time left on the contract mixed with Garoppolo ready to start being groomed.
Having a great arm and no mobility leaves susceptible to the more agile defensive lineman in the league.
There's a reason there are no more Drew Bledsoe's in the league. Pass rushers are being selected in the 1st round each year for a reason.
Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel were traded for a high second round pick so Mallet being traded for a third rounder only means Patriots will get bang for their buck.
Mallet went from statue to being able to recognize a rush. Nothing has indicated he can actually elude pass rusher when bodies are flying.

Big arms are overrated. You don't need a huge arms for out routes or fifteen yard slants. Chad Pennington was a great quarterback with a noodle arm.
Pennington is one of, if not the most accurate QB's of all time with a completion percentage of 66.0%

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Was trying to find my post about the Eagles not having a chance to have Josey slip to their practice squad but then I realized it was on Facebook and I will have no luck finding it on there.. in fact I was like I'd look for the Jaguars or Texans to snag him and stash him on their practice squad if we don't. Sure enough Jacksonville signed Josey to their practice squad a bit earlier.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Was trying to find my post about the Eagles not having a chance to have Josey slip to their practice squad but then I realized it was on Facebook and I will have no luck finding it on there.. in fact I was like I'd look for the Jaguars or Texans to snag him and stash him on their practice squad if we don't. Sure enough Jacksonville signed Josey to their practice squad a bit earlier.
Who's Josey? I hate when people give human beings nicknames and expect casual fans to automatically 'get it'.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
Tucker on the Eagles practice squad now.

Vice

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Since Sam cleared waivers and is now a FA, does anyone think his NFL career could be nearing its end?

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Who's Josey? I hate when people give human beings nicknames and expect casual fans to automatically 'get it'.
Nickname? Try last name.. The only Josey in current NFL and the only Josey who was on the Eagles roster at some point in Franchise history lol aka the Josey me and Nero have been discussing for pretty much the whole preseason now.