Yeah, what's the update with TNA?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Rumor has it they're looking to sell, yeah. Who knows what's going on at this point
I heard uk has been flopping and panda energy took away Dixie's allowance. And no dates could be secured so it honestly sounds like they are finally going under.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
@Crayo lemme finally get on topic for this from a purely TV show standpoint...

-Start out by saying this: I'm going to come across really, really negative since pointing out specific segments of the TV show lends itself to being that way, but each episode of Impact on Pop has been pretty good. There's a reason I've been sticking with it.

-That said, I still feel like TNA's #1 issue is just to find something that'll draw us in that we can't find on another show. They can't do big moments as well as WWE, they can't reinvent the business the way Lucha Underground does, they can't book and make stars as well as NXT, their matches aren't as good as ROH/New Japan. All these things are really obvious, but it's almost a positive for me since anything that sets TNA apart almost feels like a positive no matter how negative it could be. Still, I feel like they need to talk to a lot of these fans who are losing interest in pro wrestling altogether and ask them how they can satisfy those fans, because there's definitely a niche TNA can exploit.

-Also, as you see the only traffic this section gets is when your favorite Alabaman chick who hasn't watched wrestling in 3 years thinks "huh, I wonder what the show I watched that didn't slurp dong is doing?", while many dirtsheets have mentioned how they NEVER get calls or emails about TNA... Gotta find a way to get us watching again.

-Maybe it's just watching too much NXT, but everything on these shows feel like they're moving at 100 mph and leaving no impact (haha, get it? Impact? :downer: ). Like on this week's random KOTM match, EY piledrove Jimmy Havoc on the steps that looked like the biggest concussion ever, Matthews yelled, they cut RIGHT to instant replay, Pope made a joke over it, they showed him pinning Havoc, then IMMEDIATELY cut to Bram in the middle fighting with Damo and hitting his finish as both guys become eligible, Bram grabs a ladder, sets it up, and there's a split second of drama of "dissension among friends" and all this was done in 2 minutes or less. Amazing way to not let any moments sink in... reminds me of Galloway pinning Kurt Angle the other day and they had to run backstage to show Grado running away from security. Fuck Grado, let us enjoy the big moment!

-Seriously, TNA comedy is still the worst. This is much better than any other "That One Angle" in TNA - take it over Claire Lynch in a heartbeat - but still crossing my fingers this is over.

-TNA is still a talk-heavy promotion (at least it's good talking!) and you can tell they want promo ability in their guys, so they sign dudes like Mike Bennett who are unspectacular workers but captivating on the mic. Not sure what they're going for with this Miracle nonsense as Mike seems to play it up for comedy, but...

-Anyway, 95% of TNA matches just feel like these blurs of action, if that makes any sense. Don't know if it's just the production or shitty agents or a bland roster, but the actual wrestling on this show feels very subpar. I don't know how important "match quality" is for TNA though since you can get good wrestling on any other show per week.

-Yes, Matt Hardy is the world champion now and he has his entourage as the latest paper champion on Impact... But I've gotta give the devil his credit: Two weeks ago I was really liking this feud with EC3. REALLY liking it, because of the four people. Tyrus is awful, Matt is fucking atrocious, EC3 is amazing and Spud is THE BEST. I love these "five star matches" the business has become about in 2016, but damn did I feel like a noobish little snowball wanting to see one dude beat another dude's ass and get the belt off Matt. Oh I'm a... kayfabe believer and a snow-covered dream...

-then Rockstar Spud made what would have been the most logical, understandable SWERVE I've seen in a long long time if it didn't piss me off. I don't wanna watch Spud be an asshole, and I definitely didn't wanna see Spud get his ass beat the next week. SCREW. THIS. Now the kayfabber in me hates EC3 because poor, poor Spud... :(

-The X-Division is completely dead. Long live the X-Division. Really, I'm not even sure if TNA needs it anymore

-The tag division is kinda interesting... Beer Money reformed on the POP debut and gave Snow his first nostalgia pop ever!!! Oh goodness I was so happy to see this. Man, it was cool to see these two having fun again after watching them both seem like shells of their former selves for so long... And the Wolves are the Wolves, definitely the best workhorses on the TNA roster. They wanted to keep them separate for so long, so two makeshift teams (Eric Young and Bram, the Decay) were thrown in their way. Bram thinks it's 2006 for some reason, the Decay (the Menagerie clown + Abyss + a chick out of a Tim Burton movie) are hard to explain but are really cool, actually.

-Speaking of these guys, here's hoping EY can help Abyss re-discover what happened to Joseph Park. They can start searching an abandoned law firm up in Chicago somewhere off my TV

-Don't even see why the KO's division still exists. The sex appeal is gone, and it's 2016 and I hope you enjoyed what we got out of Gail vs Mia Yim this week, hopefully we get a rematch considering those are the only two chicks who can wrestle on this roster. Like, I can't even do the Taryn Terrell asterisk of "Hey, she tries her best. Pat pat." any more. Almost miss Nikki Bella just for that but she had to invent a stupid move just so she can name her finish after her boobs and wind up injuring herself dropping chicks on her neck all the time... sorry, diverted. Anyway Gail is still the champ, because that's fresh, and she's feuding with Maria's ass, and they signed some other chick who had some video package about her boobs and all of a sudden TNA just love their initials here..

-Kurt Angle had his final match this week. So much of what has happened was the Kurt Angle Farewell Tour, and unlike 90% of big WWE matches that leave CM Punk raging on podcasts, TNA is making damn sure they're leaving with something here.

-The general booking on Impact is actually very good. but the final segment summed it up perfectly. Lashley pins Kurt Angle in his final match - CLEAN - and then smiles really big. Angle raises his hand, Lashley clotheslines him. Big spear. Another spear. He's fuming and getting really excited here and the commentary (tries their best) gets this over as a horrible, despicable, uncalled for action, attacking the retiring guy during his career celebration... Ultimate babyface Galloway tries to make the save, powerslam to him, another spear to Angle, Eddie Edwards run out, Spear to him, another spear to Kurt... and then the infamous musical distratction happens and EC3 comes slowly walking down and Lashley bails.

That sums up 2016 TNA in a nutshell though... They did SO MUCH to put Lashley over, and are pointing the top babyface right at him. If you ignore the pro wrestling stupidity of the musical distraction this felt like a big time angle that'll set up a mega-heated match in the next couple of weeks... but when that bell rings, it's still EC3 vs Lashley... on Impact...

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I though Pop TV ditched the TV guide gimmick? Anyways, with Roode and Young gone, there isn't much to expect from the moderately mediocre shows anymore.