Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's WWF

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Re: Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's

John Tenta teamed with Tugboat and became a pretty succesful team for a few years in WWF, if you missed that, than you missed atleast 3-4 years in pro-wrestling. That or you purposely choose to forget when Japanese guys with less defined abs got big guys.

LOL Not Liger ffs.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
Re: Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's

Umaga would of done great back then. They needed some Samoa talent like him.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

I never said Koko was a super over talent, but he was over, and consistently generated reactions from the crowd with his high energy. Much in the same way that Planet Funk does.

Tugboat was main eventing alongside Hogan, as discussed in another thread about DiBiase, being in that spot alongside him, is about as over as you can get.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

I never said Koko was a super over talent, but he was over, and consistently generated reactions from the crowd with his high energy. Much in the same way that Planet Funk does.

Tugboat was main eventing alongside Hogan, as discussed in another thread about DiBiase, being in that spot alongside him, is about as over as you can get.

Not convinced Koko was ever that over, he did what he did quite well but that was all.

You can't compare Tugboat and Dibiase, Dibiase was over no matter who he feuded with. Agree with deezy about the ND being fairly over, they were a good big man team, Earthquake always did more for me.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

Maybe you should go back and watch some old matches, see all the people doing "the bird man" in the audience. Koko got that crowd behind him just by convulsing like he was having a seizure. A lot of talent today only wishes they could get that sort of a reaction.

I also was not comparing Tugboat to DiBiase, its just that I already explained how being in the main event with Hogan was a really big deal in another thread about DiBiase. Very few people got a chance in that Main Event position because of guys like Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Andre, etc. and having a very limited amount of TV time, so if you did get there, it was for a reason, even with Zeus.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

Maybe you should go back and watch some old matches, see all the people doing "the bird man" in the audience. Koko got that crowd behind him just by convulsing like he was having a seizure. A lot of talent today only wishes they could get that sort of a reaction.

I also was not comparing Tugboat to DiBiase, its just that I already explained how being in the main event with Hogan was a really big deal in another thread about DiBiase. Very few people got a chance in that Main Event position because of guys like Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Andre, etc. and having a very limited amount of TV time, so if you did get there, it was for a reason, even with Zeus.

Fair points, just to add Dibiase was just as important to the feud as Hogan, in some way more so, the top face often needs a good heel to work off. Also even a maga star like Hogan had flops such as the Slaughter feud, so it doesn't always follow like being in a feud with him equals success.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

As Tugboat, he would have been the face, teaming with Hogan. Much in the way that DiBiase was teaming with the super over heel Andre. It just helped that the Megapowers/Megabucks storyline pretty much wrote itself.

The Slaughter feud may have been a flop when looking back on it, but when it happened, it was the All American Hero, against the former Real American Hero, turned Iraqi sympathizer. I remember watching the build up, and not even being American, I was so upset that Slaughter would turn his back on the American people. The match is not worth defending, because I doubt anyone could talk about it and even be able to make it sound like it was watchable, but the build-up was effective during Operation Desert Storm.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Hogan/Slaughter would've worked if only that damned Dessert Strom lasted more than two weeks.

AF.

Reaction score

Alberto Del Rio instantly springs to mind. His gimmick seems like it'd be huge in that time period unlike today.