Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's WWF

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Just curious who you think would be a successful back in the day from the current roster. When i looked at the roster four names came to mind:

Big Show
Great Khali
Mark Henry
Albert Del Rio

Certainly Big Show, Khali and Henry have massive size and a aura about them that would make them a star in almost any generation. Big Show could talk and move quite well so out of these three guys i think i'd take show. I'm a big Mark Henry fan now too. Take his character now and i think he could have been dominate. Imagine a young undertaker or Hulk Hogan feuding with a seasoned veteran like Mark Henry or Big Show (20 years ago) That could have been a decent draw.

I guess i have to pick one (non-giant) as well. Certainly the top guys like Cena, Punk, Orton, could have made it back then and been OK for themselves. But the one guy i think would excel is Alberto Del Rio. I know many may not agree, but Del Rio is a tough hard worker, and his character fits in with the scheme of that era of wrestling. There really wasn't a top mexican heel that the fans could hate in that era. I think a close comparison as to how he would be used would be like Razor Ramon in 92/93. I feel like Del Rio could have excelled in that role, and feuds would Bret Hart and HBK could have been Great. Honorable Mention goes to Damien Sandow. I'm not a big fan of his, but he does remind me a bit of a throwback. Great Heel, good look, and pretty good mic skills. I guess my comparison for him would be to Ric Rude, in that he's a 100% heel, and people generally dislike him. Imagine Bobby Heenan and Damien Sandow.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
Re: Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's

Samoa Joe...

Just think, A big guy like Samoa Joe running around the WWF. He would perform very well in matches with Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, ect.... Back then, the WWF needed some people that not only has brute strength, but can also put somebody in a strong submission hold. (Not saying that there weren't anybody like that) But, idk I can just see him in the WWF with some of the greatest legends. Hell, maybe he could of formed some Samoa group with The Rock... xP

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Re: Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's

80's and early 90's were heavily character based years, guys with generic 'good wrestler' gimmicks wouldn't of lasted a second.

Kane, Khali, Rey, etc would all be *borat voice* great success.

For Ryback, see Zeus/Hercules, etc.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

I think Sheamus would be one of the most successful ones. Khali would have been great as well. Pretty much anyone who's foreign, big or both would do well because they're gimmick writes themselves.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2

I honestly think that Brodus Clay and his dance gimmick might of fit in a little bit. Because The Cork is right, it was all character based pretty much.

CGS

Reaction score

80's and early 90's were heavily character based years, guys with generic 'good wrestler' gimmicks wouldn't of lasted a second.

Kane, Khali, Rey, etc would all be *borat voice* great success.

For Ryback, see Zeus/Hercules, etc.

I think Sheamus would be one of the most successful ones. Khali would have been great as well. Pretty much anyone who's foreign, big or both would do well because they're gimmick writes themselves.

Pretty much these two points. Especially the bolded part. Because the 80's in particular relied on characters rather than great technical wrestling (a reason why Steamboat/Savage from that era was pretty damn unusual) anyone in this era who can't really have a backstory written for them would pretty much suffer. Guys like Show & Khali are pretty easy to work with.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Del Rio was already played by Tito Santana and that same character was big success with Pedro Morales.

Anyone who can get over today, would get over yesterday, it was easier to get people on your side, when they aren't busy acting like mini-Meltzers bitching about workrate and not having a clue on what that actually is. Kayfabe made it easier for people to believe in the good guys and bad guys

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

I'll actually agree with Deezy here because that is pretty much the big difference between now and the 80's and early 90's about the kayfabe part. Cena would have been easier off back then given he wouldn't have had to deal with today's fan who boo him. His rapper gimmick even would have worked since hip hop was really taking off at that point.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

I'll actually agree with Deezy here because that is pretty much the big difference between now and the 80's and early 90's about the kayfabe part. Cena would have been easier off back then given he wouldn't have had to deal with today's fan who boo him. His rapper gimmick even would have worked since hip hop was really taking off at that point.

I think the opposite funny enough. His matches look so phoney than a kayfabe audience may not have bought it. Now wrestling is accepted more as an entertainment so he gets away with a lot more.

Echo

Reaction score

Wade Barrett would have been fantastic back then.

Montana

Reaction score

Del Rio was already played by Tito Santana and that same character was big success with Pedro Morales.

Anyone who can get over today, would get over yesterday, it was easier to get people on your side, when they aren't busy acting like mini-Meltzers bitching about workrate and not having a clue on what that actually is. Kayfabe made it easier for people to believe in the good guys and bad guys

I was actually thinking exactly of Tito Santana when i thought of Del Rio, however I don't recall a time when Tito was a heel, let alone a mega heel. Maybe some time from 80-85 that i don't know but as far as i knew he was a career baby face guy for the most part. I guess i was envisioning a mexican ric flair heel, like in the early 90's, in a spot similar to Razor Ramon, but i think they may have continued Del Rio's push, rather than giving up on Razor.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

I think the opposite funny enough. His matches look so phoney than a kayfabe audience may not have bought it. Now wrestling is accepted more as an entertainment so he gets away with a lot more.

You serious? Ever watch a Superstar Billy Graham match or even a Bruno match? Warrior and Hogan? Cena's matches hardly look as phony as you think it is, Tanahashi basically is the Japanese Cena but I take you think he is the cats ass.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

You serious? Ever watch a Superstar Billy Graham match or even a Bruno match? Warrior and Hogan? Cena's matches hardly look as phony as you think it is, Tanahashi basically is the Japanese Cena but I take you think he is the cats ass.

No point dragging this debate out, you know what I think about Cena in ring and I know what you think, lets just move on.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

Dunno about Cena, his gimmick is bland compared to OTT 80's era.

Can't even call him a rapper now, he's just 'tough guy' I guess.

His 5 moves of doom and no selling would work well back then though.

CGS

Reaction score

The rapper gimmick may have worked but I dunno tbh. Do agree with the Cork though I think Cena's current gimmick is just way to simple for the 80's/early 90's of crazy gimmick era. He had the wrestling style to get over for sure but not the character.