Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's WWF

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Re: Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's

Dunno about Cena, his gimmick is bland compared to OTT 80's era.

Can't even call him a rapper now, he's just 'tough guy' I guess.

His 5 moves of doom and no selling would work well back then though.

Think it might depend on who he faced, because part of their success with the likes of Hogan, Warrior was putting them with guys who could carry them in ring and on the mic. Although Hogan knew enough of the basics to get by.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Who from Today's WWE/TNA roster would be been a sucess n the late 80's early 90's

Kayfabe needs to come back, man. At least partially.. :(

i will agree with names like Big Show and Sheamus. Their size was too easy to book with.

I do think Damien Sandow would have endured IF he were around in the 90's and kept away from Shawn and Hogan. I see a lot of Rick Martel and Rick Rude in him.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

[/B]

Think it might depend on who he faced, because part of their success with the likes of Hogan, Warrior was putting them with guys who could carry them in ring and on the mic. Although Hogan knew enough of the basics to get by.

So you're saying Cena would be carried by jobbers? In the day without jobbers, a guy getting over to Cena's popularity of today just shows you how truly talented he is. It's ok to admit you just have a Cena bias, you don't have to pretend like this is about his wrestling skill, because we all know he can go in the ring. I can't name a bad Cena match over most of his career except one match with Rikishi when he first started his rapper gimmick. I used to be a Cena hater, there is still things he does in promos that I don't like, but I realize that this guy is great in the ring and his fans truly believe in his character. I'm not going to to pretend he sucks, because I know that isn't true,

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

So you're saying Cena would be carried by jobbers? In the day without jobbers, a guy getting over to Cena's popularity of today just shows you how truly talented he is. It's ok to admit you just have a Cena bias, you don't have to pretend like this is about his wrestling skill, because we all know he can go in the ring. I can't name a bad Cena match over most of his career except one match with Rikishi when he first started his rapper gimmick. I used to be a Cena hater, there is still things he does in promos that I don't like, but I realize that this guy is great in the ring and his fans truly believe in his character. I'm not going to to pretend he sucks, because I know that isn't true,

What do you mean by jobbers? I was talking about the likes of Dibiase, Macho and Perfect.

Besides that what was the point of your post? You rate Cena I don't, if you want to have a proper debate about it fine, if not again lets move on.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

What do you mean by jobbers? I was talking about the likes of Dibiase, Macho and Perfect.

Besides that what was the point of your post? You rate Cena I don't, if you want to have a proper debate about it fine, if not again lets move on.

Perfect never worked with Warrior, and jobbers were the unsung heroes of pro-wrestling.

And I fell like you just don't get what I'm saying, you have a Cena bias, you don't rate him, because you hate him. It doesn't negate the fact that he would be over in any generation of wrestling because there are only so many people who can get the type of mainstream popularity he does, WWE machine or not. Hate it or love it, learn to live with it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

Perfect never worked with Warrior, and jobbers were the unsung heroes of pro-wrestling.

And I fell like you just don't get what I'm saying, you have a Cena bias, you don't rate him, because you hate him. It doesn't negate the fact that he would be over in any generation of wrestling because there are only so many people who can get the type of mainstream popularity he does, WWE machine or not. Hate it or love it, learn to live with it.

Last time I checked the example I used was Hogan and he certainly worked with him.

And maybe you should just accept that I don't rate Cena, its not a bias its my opinion just like you have yours. Get over yourself and stop trying to drag this thread off topic.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Last time I checked the example I used was Hogan and he certainly worked with him.

And maybe you should just accept that I don't rate Cena, its not a bias its my opinion just like you have yours. Get over yourself and stop trying to drag this thread off topic.

Most people don't rate Hogan as a worker, and he was the most over wrestler in history. Cena is miles better in the ring, one of the best WWE has, and his "never give up" Superman persona would have went over great. There's a reason he's called this generation's Hulk.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

Most people don't rate Hogan as a worker, and he was the most over wrestler in history. Cena is miles better in the ring, one of the best WWE has, and his "never give up" Superman persona would have went over great. There's a reason he's called this generation's Hulk.

I don't rate Hogan in the ring, but he sold better than Cena, knew the basics of timing and was better on the mic also.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

I don't rate Hogan in the ring, but he sold better than Cena, knew the basics of timing and was better on the mic also.

Cena's selling is hilariously bad in most cases, but Hogan fans would eat that shit up. The dumb little stay down until 9 and then jump in the ring like he wasn't hurt right before 10 would go over great even though it's the most annoying thing Cena does. Hogan wasn't any better than Cena on the mic, not until he turned heel at least.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

Cena's selling is hilariously bad in most cases, but Hogan fans would eat that shit up. The dumb little stay down until 9 and then jump in the ring like he wasn't hurt right before 10 would go over great even though it's the most annoying thing Cena does. Hogan wasn't any better than Cena on the mic, not until he turned heel at least.

Disagree, Hogan's promos were cheesy, but the guy just had something about him when he walks in a room people take notice and he did put a lot of passion into his promos even if the words themselves were bad.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

And Cena doesn't put a lot of passion in his? I'm not saying Cena would have gotten as over as Hogan back in the day, but he definitely would have gotten mad over as long as he had the same backing that Hogan had then and Cena has now.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

And Cena doesn't put a lot of passion in his? I'm not saying Cena would have gotten as over as Hogan back in the day, but he definitely would have gotten mad over as long as he had the same backing that Hogan had then and Cena has now.

Cena either goes too over the top and sounds childish or just sounds too bored most of the time.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Keith, you contradict yourself when you act like Hogan and Cena are somehow different, and you also don't seem to know what a worker is. The sole purpose of workers is to get the audience in the palm of their hand and get them to react the way they want to them to. Y'know like a Hogan wanting people to boo/cheer for him, and Cena wanting that "let's go Cena/Cena sux" chants rolling when he is working, notice even the beloved CM Punk doesn't even get his name cheered when they wrestle? Mark of a great worker, to get the crowd to eat out of their hand doing the least. There is a reason why so-called workers had to kill themselves to get the same type of reactions the Cenas and Hogans of the world get with the least amount of effort.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

Brodus & Sweet T would both get over well, I have always said Albert got screwed by being a decade late to the party. Brodus is so much like Junk Yard Dog/Koko B. Ware that he would have the crowd eating out of his hand in the same way.

Cena could work, if they ramped up the gimmick a bit. Make him as cheesy and corny as he can possibly be and watch it go one way or the other. Tugboat made it pretty big for a time with a lot less, and being even cornier.

Austin Aries could work as well, but he would probably never even hold a title, unless it was the Tag titles. The guy is a solid in ring performer, can deliver a promo that should not even bother being delivered in TNA, and can gather heat instantly. He would be the perfect opponent for new babyfaces, as his size would have prevented him from getting very far on cards.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

Brodus & Sweet T would both get over well, I have always said Albert got screwed by being a decade late to the party. Brodus is so much like Junk Yard Dog/Koko B. Ware that he would have the crowd eating out of his hand in the same way.
Cena could work, if they ramped up the gimmick a bit. Make him as cheesy and corny as he can possibly be and watch it go one way or the other. Tugboat made it pretty big for a time with a lot less, and being even cornier.

Austin Aries could work as well, but he would probably never even hold a title, unless it was the Tag titles. The guy is a solid in ring performer, can deliver a promo that should not even bother being delivered in TNA, and can gather heat instantly. He would be the perfect opponent for new babyfaces, as his size would have prevented him from getting very far on cards.

JYD was pretty over, but I must have missed when Koko and Tugboat were over. First was a hit and miss tag/enhancement guy, and the former a clumsy big guy with a terrible gimmick and nothing to make him standout. They soon pulled the plug when they saw he was going no where.