• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What If Matt Morgan Became A Masked Monster?

Haight

As much as I like Matt Morgan, there seems to be something lacking with his character. It could be his lack of mic skills or perhaps his gimmick is weak. Whatever the case may be, it is obvious that he could be so much bigger than he currently is. Therefore I am asking this question...

Would it be a good idea if Matt Morgan reinvented himself as a Masked Monster Heel? (Similar to what Kane was when he had his mask...but ten times better)

Now I know that some of you will point to Suicide as proof that such a concept would be full of fail...However I think if it was done correctly, it could be successful.

In other words, a generic masked wouldn't cut it. The creative team at TNA would actually have to put some thought into this which I am not sure they are capable of. Rellik had potential....but he wore a skirt to the ring and IMO was not used correctly.

The bottom line is that I would like to see the 'Masked Monster Heel' concept make a comeback in pro wrestling. Any thoughts on this?

I for one am a solid Matt Morgan fan. I've never understood peoples hate towards him. He's not bad on the mic. He cuts some pretty nice promos, in my honest opinion, and he works well in the ring for what he's got (size, mainly).

Frankly I'd hate to see him lose his current gimmick, the egotistical duo, and start something fresh. The gimmick now he is pulling off beautifully, and I think it could elevate him to a bigger title ... possibly a Golbal Title fued, later a World Title fued.

As for a masked gimmick, I can't really think of anything that would work, tbh. I only see masks useful for lucha libre types, and demented monsters - which never really seems to stick (kane, foley...). They already have one guy in a mask atm, and they've made a BIG deal over him losing it recently, so I'd say keep him away from the mask.

If they were gunna bring in a masked character, I'd like to see it have something to do with lucha libre. Bring in a smaller guy, push him into the x-division and have him really fly around the ring. Then, I'd love to see him lose the mask, completely dis the high flying styles and work a ground game. I think that'd pull off a great heel.

Oh and Haight, "However I think if it was done correctly, it could be successful." kind of a dumb and redundant sentence, lol.

JurassicBonez

No. No. No. No. No.

Why does he need a mask? I'm loving his current character. He's done nothing but evolve since he's been in TNA. Putting a mask on him would hurt more than help. I don't know what the hate the guy gets is about but I like the guy.

Would it be a good idea if Matt Morgan reinvented himself as a Masked Monster Heel? (Similar to what Kane was when he had his mask...but ten times better)
First off all, Matt Morgan is not better than Kane. He is not better than Kane when he had the mask on, and even getting up in age, Kane is probably still better than him.

Being said that, I feel no need for a mask on him. Why fix something that is relatively fine? What is a mask going to change about him other than we can't see his face? It's not like he is going to get any better in the ring than he already is. I feel no need for the mask.

Axis

I can't think of any character who was originally unmasked, and then put on a mask as simply a new chapter to the same character. I'm not racking my brain hard for it, but it isn't popping out to me. Reasoning being that it wouldn't serve a purpose. The point of a mask is to add mystery and intrigue, so that the fans are more focused on the actions rather than the face. Morgan's face is well-recognized. There would be no point.

Jon Honcho

First off all, Matt Morgan is not better than Kane. He is not better than Kane when he had the mask on, and even getting up in age, Kane is probably still better than him.

No. Kane is immobile and has always been immobile. His character has meant jack shit since 2001 and he takes up roster space. Matt Morgan is already a better wrestler than Kane and a better prospect for world champion. It's not a secret why Kane has only been champion for one day and has only been in a small handful of title matches.

Kane vs. Xpac Cage match
Kane vs. Taker WM 14
Kane vs. Taker Inferno match
Kane vs. Triple H IC title match
Kane/Taker vs. HHH/Austin
Kane vs. HHH chain match

Kane's had more good matches under the mask than Morgan has had his entire career. Also, Kane is like 3 inches taller and 75 pounds heavier than Morgan, not to mention like 10 years older, so making the athletic comparison is not fair. And in his masked prime Kane smokes, absolutely smokes Morgan in every conceivable way. And once he took the mask off, his promo skills went to a level Morgan will never see. Better promo, better feuds, more success, and believe me, being a WWF champ for one day>>>being TNA champ for one year. Plus he was upper mid card for four solid years. Morgan is just a TNA mid carder. Kane by a landslide.

And if they are going to wrap his face in a mask, they might as well wrap his entire body in plastic and dump it in a ditch, that would be the only way Morgan gains fame from the industry. (just some nonsensical hate for you, Bonez <3)

Jon Honcho

Kane vs. Xpac Cage match
Kane vs. Taker WM 14
Kane vs. Taker Inferno match
Kane vs. Triple H IC title match
Kane/Taker vs. HHH/Austin
Kane vs. HHH chain match
)

What all of those matches have in common is that they featured a wrestler who could carry Kane to something respectable. Except for the inferno match. That's one of the cheesiest crapfests of all time.

No. Kane is immobile and has always been immobile. His character has meant jack shit since 2001 and he takes up roster space. Matt Morgan is already a better wrestler than Kane and a better prospect for world champion. It's not a secret why Kane has only been champion for one day and has only been in a small handful of title matches.
I guess you forgot the fact that he has put over so many people. If it weren't for Kane, we wouldn't be able to take Dolph Ziggler seriously. And the reason he hasn't been a champion, guess what, he doesn't want to be a champion. He doesn't need the title whored out to him for him to play ball, unlike some people in the past.

XPac didn't carry anything. HHH and Taker were a few years from reaching their primes and didn't carry anything in those matches either. And that first inferno match was good, sure the ending was cheesy, but it's kind of absurd to believe anyone but the fully covered guy is going to burn. You're way off on that assertion, Kane was a very respectable big man and a true big man. He could and did hold his own. He's not a Khali or Mark Henry. Morgan is not a really big guy in Kane's mold, he's like Scott Hall big. And Morgan has been in the ring with Angle and AJ, guys who really can carry at this point in their careers, and the matches were ho-hum affairs, and that's on Aj and Kurt?? Yeah right. I can go on, after he took off the mask he had good matches with:
Shane
RVD
HBK
Benoit
Booker T

Are you going to claim he was carried by Books, Shane and RVD?? C'mon.
Morgan just doesn't have the resume Kane does and it's overly obvious. Just pitch three good matches Morgan has had. Then pitch me some good feuds. Stuff that is good, not average. And that's what Morgan is, an average guy. And that's at his best.

Jon Honcho

I guess you forgot the fact that he has put over so many people. If it weren't for Kane, we wouldn't be able to take Dolph Ziggler seriously.

You take Dolph Ziggler seriously? He's a good wrestler but his gimmick sucks. If you think his best matches are with Kane then you're delusional. Rey had much better matches with him as did Morrison.

You take Dolph Ziggler seriously? He's a good wrestler but his gimmick sucks. If you think his best matches are with Kane then you're delusional. Rey had much better matches with him as did Morrison.

Dude, where did I say that his best matches are with Kane? Kane put him over and Ziggler looked credible in the process.

hbkfan

i like matts chareter the way it is now he seems comfortable with it and seems to be gotting over as a heel id hate to see him lose that and start something new all over again.

MizMasta3000

I can't think of any character who was originally unmasked, and then put on a mask as simply a new chapter to the same character. I'm not racking my brain hard for it, but it isn't popping out to me. Reasoning being that it wouldn't serve a purpose. The point of a mask is to add mystery and intrigue, so that the fans are more focused on the actions rather than the face. Morgan's face is well-recognized. There would be no point.
All I can think of is Mysterio...maybe.

straight_edge76

I like Matt Morgan, I really do. I like his gimmick and I don't think he is half bad on the mic, he is quite good imo. But masked Kane he is not. Masked Kane was, and still is one of my all time favorites, he was legitimately looked at as a nearly unstoppable force, and had some great matches with some of the biggest names in the buisness at the time. Not knocking Morgan at all, but he is miles away from where Kane is.

Much like Enzo said, I dont think he is a true big man, like Kane he is more a Hall or HHH big man. Kane is, and I think always will be the measuring stick for masked monster characters, nobody has ever pulled off the demented monster with a mask character quite like Kane, Abyss was close for awhile and even as an Abyss fan I say that Kane was a much better monster.