Vince: Fans Didnt Buy The Attractions of SummerSlam 13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think people are being a bit mean now. We were all raving about Summerslam on this forum and loved the two main events, and suddenly because it drew less buys than expected those matches are forgettable?

When I buy this years event on DVD and relive those great matches I won't be thinking about the figures.

Nate

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
homicide
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
I think people are being a bit mean now. We were all raving about Summerslam on this forum and loved the two main events, and suddenly because it drew less buys than expected those matches are forgettable?

When I buy this years event on DVD and relive those great matches I won't be thinking about the figures.

This. We're not saying that the matches were bad (Punk vs Lesnar is probably the best match of the year so far tbh), we're just discussing how nobody gives a rats ass on Bryan winning the title.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

Who said the matches were bad?

Vince didnt say the matches were bad, they were good. He said the attractions weren't bought, meaning Punk being a threat to Brock was bs as was Bryan's dream story, compared to the year before. The guys didnt fit the billing vs Cena and. Brock, and they basically won't make the mistake again at their second biggest ppv of the year.it just goes back to people saying Punk wasn't big enough, credible enough, or legit enough to look like he can whoop Brock's ass to any casual, and that Bryan should be main eventing b ppvs not the big 4 vs Cena for the wwe title.

Matches were great, challengers to Brock and Cena were not fit for a Hollywood stage and Vince acknowledged that to all the share holders. You can always remember how great the matches themselves were, but Vince lives in the real world of dollars and cents, Punk and Bryan dropped the ball like whenever they are the TV focus, and Vince just realizes he can't let that happen at SummerSlam, let alone WM. That shouldn't stop you from enjoying the matches like you would any other one, just make you cognizant of the fact Bryan and Punk are back burner heading to Mania because the goal is to sell the event and make bank because they flopped at the second show so they won't be main eventing the big one where part timers and Cena will be in high regard

Last edited:
Reaction score
The guys didnt fit the billing vs Cena and. Brock, and they basically won't make the mistake again at their second biggest ppv of the year.it just goes back to people saying Punk wasn't big enough, credible enough, or legit enough to look like he can whoop Brock's ass to any casual, and that Bryan should be main eventing b ppvs not the big 4 vs Cena for the wwe title.

Just a side thought from my previous post and about RVD being credible to me when I was younger and this is a contrictation to my own thought process but what if we're over thinking it as weathered and older wrestling fans but the kids buy into Punk and Bryan as those credible faces (I think Bryan is more credible than Punk just due to Bryan's technical offense) and it's more the fact they can't just afford to shell out for the PPVs than they're just not credible? Or they would rather save their pocket money to buy a PPV with Cena vs someone big.

I remember my thought pattern was very similar when I was a youngster.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Bryan's match was so random though. He went from half of hell no to getting a match because they were both dating the Bella's. Yes he was over, but on screen he had no individual credibility when he was being called Kane's weak link beforehand the whole title run. They acknowledged their relationships in Total divas on raw, and all of a sudden injured Cena just gave, keyword gave, him a title match. Bryan can work, but it's not like they had shown him to be viscous and technical like Benoit, Finlay, or Angle before just throwing him into the SSlam main event.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Bryan's match was so random though. He went from half of hell no to getting a match because they were both dating the Bella's. Yes he was over, but on screen he had no individual credibility when he was being called Kane's weak link beforehand the whole title run. They acknowledged their relationships in Total divas on raw, and all of a sudden injured Cena just gave, keyword gave, him a title match. Bryan can work, but it's not like they had shown him to be viscous and technical like Benoit, Finlay, or Angle before just throwing him into the SSlam main event.

They kinda did show him to be vicious and put him over like crazy during that "weak link" angle whenever he'd fucking take all three members of The Shield out on his own, but I agree that it was super random. Actually don't even think Total Divas was that much of a reason to be honest because I don't think it was even mentioned on Raw that they were dating the Bellas during that feud. Think the main reason was because they just didn't see anyone else that could do it and they saw a good Orton/Bryan feud that could hold them until Cena came back since they probably already knew he'd be taking some time off. The announcement really fell flat though when Cena picked him, I mean the crowd popped like crazy but that was just such a weird way to do it, wish they would have had Bryan win something that night to face him at least.

Still better than when he beat King in a Beat the Clock challenge randomly to face Punk for the belt though :lmao

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Let me just say, just because a dude is over to the live crowds, it doesn't mean people are tuning in to see that guy. Road Dogg was over as fuck, his "Ladies n gentlemen" schtick was Rock-like at live events and TVs, but nooone was going to tune into Raw if he was pushed against a Rock or Austin. Godfather was over as fuck as well.....does that mean he should've been facing Steve Austin?

Oh and I wasn't mean aftger the fact, I said Punk beating on Lesnar wasn't going to translate, look it up.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I was just responding to something which I think Chris posted about having forgotten about Bryan being involved in the Summerslam main event, if it was meant as a joke then forget I said anything, but to me it just seemed a strange comment to make based on how most people on here seemed to love SS and those matches.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Or you know..could be that paying $55 dollars a month just isn't worth it anymore. Either cut the prices, or the number of PPV's. 13 a year is unneeded.

And if you check history, Shawn Michaels wasn't a main "Draw" but still went down as one of the greatest of all times. Who draws and who doesn't doesn't mean much to most fans.

This is what caught my eye the most out of this entire thread. I'm not a fan of the 13 PPV's a year. That's a ridiculous amount, and little time for fans to truly get behind someone.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I was just responding to something which I think Chris posted about having forgotten about Bryan being involved in the Summerslam main event, if it was meant as a joke then forget I said anything, but to me it just seemed a strange comment to make based on how most people on here seemed to love SS and those matches.

I did love the matches and the PPV and it was even strange to me that I literally didn't remember what the SummerSlam matches were whenever I read the thread title and then I remembered it was Bryan/Cena after I read the post.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
This is what caught my eye the most out of this entire thread. I'm not a fan of the 13 PPV's a year. That's a ridiculous amount, and little time for fans to truly get behind someone.

Yeah, well.....those hundreds of thousands of money marks are considered "real wrestling fans" because they shell out actual money towards the product......And WWE probably won't drop their price because they still get a high number on PPV.....There is alot of shit on PPV who wish they could get over a 100000 buys.......That translates into half a mil, and that isn't chump change for one night.

Weez

Reaction score
I can't believe no one brings up how awful they are making these part-time buildups.

I'm sorry, I loved Brock Lesner in 2002-3, or whenever it was, like everyone else. I loved him in UFC, and pulled for him, and I don't even fucking LIKE MMA. But they sign these part-timers like Rock, Lesner, etc and then don't fucking have them on the shows. You get a random run-in appearance a week or so before, or a pre-tape from Rock's Mansion or some shit, and that's supposed to sell a PPV?

If you're the rock? Yes. If you're Lesner? No.. I'm sorry, the guy isn't a big enough draw to get buyrates by himself. There, someone finally addressed the fucking elephant in the room.

Lesner is the biggest looking BADASS I've ever seen. The only way the smaller guy works vs this guy is a WEEKLY program where either A) Lesner beats him to death every single week and Punk gets enough sympathy to play true BABYface and the fans want to see Lesner get his or B) It's a back and forth feud where the Cocky Badass assumed the smaller guy is a pushover and attacks, only to unleash Punk's MEAN side where he's putting the Anaconda Vise on Refs and shit after they pull him off Lesner.

Notice how shit I said they should do they actually did?

Problem is that A doesn't work because Lesner IS popular enough that he transcends the Heel/Face angle of wrestling. He's gonna get some pops even if he fucks a corpse on RAW. So, even if you had him there EVERY SINGLE WEEK, which they didn't, Punk isn't going to get the sympathy up enough to have them PAY to see him get redemption.

Did they have Punk (incoming announcer stereotypical phrasing) "GO to that dark place" and "throw out any semblance of order" and bust in like a "house on fire"? Yeah, but what's the point if he's not doing it THE BIG FUCKING BEAST THAT HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING FIGHTING?

Also, even by SS: People were getting tired of the same week in/week out Punk/Heyman verbal jousting. Fuck sake, it'd been what? Almost 2 years of that shit by now, either with each other or against? Time to fucking move on already. I hope we've finally got that.

Also, I'd like to point out that I don't want someone that the WWE RECENTLY put the strap on for 434 Consecutive days as Reigning, Defending WWE Champion to get continually made to look like a Velocity Jobber on my Television. Nothing says "We don't make Stars anymore" like having some guy who was a badass in your company for 2 years a decade go run roughshod through your talent. Lesner isn't the Rock, He isn't Stone Cold and he sure the fuck isn't Hogan.

But I agree with most here, on a purely physical basis, Punk looks to have ZERO chance against Brock. That's what the fucking program is for: To make you suspend that belief, and the WWE dropped the fucking ball. It's really that simple.

Cena/Bryan was a great match. But as some pointed out, Bryan got handpicked for the fight and got skyrocketed up the card. The Fans that actually BUY the ppvs weren't used to seeing him in the main event, and it was no guarantee that Cena and Bryan's styled would mesh for the great match that we actually got.

I'd be honestly surprised if the numbers for Whatever PPV that came after SS weren't up from a year before, but then again.. Orton... Ugh.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Here's a thought.

Turn Cena he'll probably do just as well as a heel. Hell turning him heel at this point would be an accomplishment in itself.

Then you have DB be that guy all the kids love. His character is right there with it now anyway. So push him over the kiddy ledge. Have him be the huge Face get him some merch, probably goat shit. Probably be able to get his bella some love with the right marketing in relation to it. Does he draw this way? Maybe a bit more than he is now cause the kiddies will be bitching to mom and dad about how they want his shit. Just like they do with Cena. He needs something he can market.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
[MENTION=198]Weez[/MENTION] CM Punk could've been worshipping Satan and still not look "dark" enough to pose a threat to a former UFC Heavyweight champion. That was the whole point of this not working. CM Punk lacks credibility.

Cena drew with Lesnar because he actually looks like he could go toe to toe with him, Triple H drew with him on the same thing.....Perception is key. CM Punk looks like an out of shape food vendor compared to those two.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
To be fair, it's not as bad or wasn't as bad when they were brand split ppvs. If only 5 were unified and 4 for Raw and 4 for SD it would go better. Sad thing is who will pay for a sd ppv.