Umaga passes away :(

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hometown Kid

::sigh:: You can't blame anyone for a death caused by an over dose of pain medication. This isn't a problem contained to WWE, it's something that has always run rampant through the wrestling industry. There have been a few who have tried to unionize and create better conditions for wrestlers, but you know what? These guys are all expendable. There is always another guy waiting around the corner to fill your shoes.

You're just looking at how it is instead of how it should be though, if the government actually gave a crap and cracked down on the business, the number of deaths in wrestling would be in the dozens instead of the hundreds, I believe. Of course it is an "industry wide" thing, but guess who's number 1 and set the standards? If someone buckled down from the top of WWE and put a real union for the safety of the workers in place, the indies would have to follow. Just because the wrestlers get lost in the money does not make it okay for people dying like this, it just doesn't.

noumenon

You really think if WWE put in place rehab programs, drug counseling and wellness programs that it would change the industry?

Oh wait, they already have.

Believe me, I'm the first one to say these guys don't need to be working 300 days a year, it's absurd. But that's the way the business is run for Vince to make optimal money... and in order for these guys to make optimal money, Vince needs to make his.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Vince McMahon is responsible in that he is well aware of the havoc his business practices wreak and he chooses to do nothing about it because he might lose a few dollars.

Hometown Kid

You really think if WWE put in place rehab programs, drug counseling and wellness programs that it would change the industry?

Oh wait, they already have.

Oh yeah, except they're all complete jokes to keep the big boys at the White House away. Like I said, there are many factors, but if they got a legit you know, system and union going dealing with drugs and many other things wrong with the shady biz rather than the borderline criminal system they have now, I think some things would change. And the only way a union/system that gets taken seriously can get started is from the top, in my opinion.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Don't even start with the wellness policy, it's a joke.

If it was serious more than half the damned roster would be suspended.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The notion of a union is a nice idea but I think getting wrestlers classified as actors or athletes would be a great first step, then they can get a players association or SAG memberships.

noumenon

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, believe me. The shit that Vince and the wrestling industry in general gets away with is unbelievable. There's just so much money to be made that no one really wants to stand up and miss out on it. I would love to see these guys finally become unionized. It wouldn't change the fact that the profession they're choosing to be involved with his probably the most hazardous "sport" around. Injuries will happen, guys will be in pain and get hurt.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I would say that football and MMA are just as hazardous. But since these are "real sports" they get regulated.

If football players played 300 nights a year, and MMA fighters fought the same amount of nights I guarantee that the mortality rates in these sports would be similar.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I used to have a book called Ring of Hell. It was basically a tawdry expose of Chris Benoit and the pro wrestling industry and there was one quote in there from Scott Hall. I would give it verbatim but since I loaned it out and never saw the asshole again, I'll be forced to paraphrase. The quote came from either the a torch or observer interview.

Hall was meeting with McMahon one of the first few times. This was back during a period where WWE was again testing and fining people for smoking pot. Anyway, Brian Knobs had tested positive for marijuana and Vince had fined him for it. So Knobs was yelling at Vince calling him a motherfucker asking him how he was supposed to wind down and relax after shows if he couldn't burn a bit. And according to Hall Vince turned around and said to Knobs, I guess you'll just have to start drinking more and taking more pills. Hall ended the quote by saying he knew at that point that Vince McMahon was one of the most evil people ever.

Now, I know there will be a lot of hesitancy to maybe believe Hall but say what you will about him, I've never seen the guy to be a liar. Ever since I read that quote I've never been able to forget it.

Kizza

I'm trying to think of the shoot I listened to, but the guy basically ripped Vince to shreds. He's from Portland. Can't remember who it is, but it was a very powerful anti Vince message.

Travis40

But they need to keep up with their former talent and be on their asses about staying clean and healthy. WWE just cant just let someone loose and not give a shit about them again.

WWE offers all former talent to go to rehab at WWE's expense. If these fuckheads are dying from drugs, blame them, not WWE.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

I do not mean to be nasty here, but why dont these things happen to assholes i hate like Khali,Big vis, warrior, and savage. Id swap all of them to get eddie,umaga, test and crash holly back. Life sucks at times and umaga passing away is one of these times.

And you wonder why people don't like you.

When I said RIP Eddie, I was refering to Eddie Fatu. I refuse to call him the persona that got him killed. This shit is just uterly rediculous.

His persona was that of a stubborn, selfish bastard who continued to take drugs, not caring about how it could potentially effect those around him? Damn, I thought his gimmick was that he was Samoan.

His death is his own fault, plain and simple. I feel no sympathy for a man who thought he was too good for rehab despite obviously having a problem. I do, however, feel for his family and those who were close to him.

seX-Power

I really don't care all that much anyway tbh. I don't get emotionally attached to any wrestlers or celebrities in general.