UFC 136 - Edgar/Maynard III

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah i don't mind Sonnen, but i'll be pulling for Stann. And yeah the prelims look pretty good, normally i don't watch them but i think i'll check em out for this show. And also, i'll be pulling for Florian but really don't think he'll win.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Fresh from his exciting UFC 133 scrap with Mike Brown, The Ultimate Fighter's Nam Phan is back in October, replacing Josh Grispi against always tough Matt Grice.

"Josh Grispi had to withdraw from UFC 136 in Houston, but the always ready Nam Phan is stepping up and taking his place vs Matt Grice on October 8th," said UFC President Dana White. "Both fighters have verbally agreed to the featherweight matchup."

Only from a prelim fight but thought i'd post it anyways.

Ben

Reaction score
Yea Florian chokes on the Reg in big fights so I don't see him winning. Stann/Sonnen is such a easy fight to sell with Stann being the all american and Sonnen being one of the biggest D Bags in MMA.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
A bout between Steve Cantwell (7-4 MMA, 1-3 UFC) and Mike Massenzio (12-5 MMA, 1-3 UFC) has been added to October's UFC 136 event.

UFC officials today announced that verbal agreements are in place for the middleweight fight.

Featuring a championship doubleheader, UFC 136 takes place Oct. 8 at Houston's Toyota Center.

The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view. However, Cantwell vs. Massenzio is expected to take place on the evening's preliminary card.

Cantwell, the WEC's final light-heavyweight champion, is stuck in a three-fight UFC losing streak. After 3-1 run in the WEC, he joined the UFC and scored a technical-submission victory over Razak Al-Hassan at UFC Fight Night 16. But since then, he's suffered consecutive decision losses to Luiz Cane, Brian Stann and Cyrille Diabate.

Nineteen months passed between the Stann and Diabate losses due to an undisclosed medical issue with the Nevada State Athletic Commission and subsequent injuries. He now makes the drop from light heavyweight to middleweight.

He now meets Massenzio, who also is stuck in a three-fight UFC losing streak and in desperate need of a win. After upsetting Drew McFedries in his octagon debut, the standout amateur wrestler and submission-wrestling champion has suffered losses to C.B. Dollaway (TKO), Stann (submission) and Krzysztof Soszynski (decision).

Prior to the Soszynski loss at UFC 131, he took a fight at a regional show in New Hampshire and scored a TKO win over Nate Kittredge.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
After replacing injured Josh Grispi, Nam Phan (16-9 MMA, 0-2 UFC) now finds himself without an opponent.

UFC officials announced overnight that fellow featherweight Matt Grice (13-4 MMA, 1-4 UFC) suffered an undisclosed injury and is off the UFC 136 fight card.

Officials are searching for a replacement for the fall fight card, which takes place Oct. 8 at Houston's Toyota Center.

The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view, and two bouts air on Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" special. However, Phan is expected to compete on part of the preliminary card that streams on Facebook.

Phan recently avoided a UFC release despite his second straight loss under the organization's banner. Phan, a semifinalist on "The Ultimate Fighter 12," suffered a controversial split-decision loss to Leonard Garcia at the show's live finale back in December. And then tat UFC 133 in August, Mike Brown bested him via unanimous decision. Phan now has lost four of his past five fights and finds himself in a must-win situation.

Grice had recently returned to the UFC on the heels of a four-fight win streak on the Oklahoma fight circuit. However, Grice, a four-time state high-school wrestling champion who went 1-3 in his first UFC stint, suffered a vicious TKO loss to Ricardo Lamas at UFC on Versus 4 back in June.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Eric Schafer's (12-5-2 MMA, 3-4 UFC) return to the UFC is official.

UFC brass recently confirmed Schafer is replacing an injured Nick Catone and now meets fellow middleweight Aaron Simpson (10-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at October's UFC 136 event.

Simpson originally announced the switch, but UFC officials had yet to confirm the move before now.

Featuring a pair of title fights in the evening's headlining contests, UFC 136 takes place Oct. 8 at Houston's Toyota Center.

The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view, but the Simpson vs. Schafer bout takes place on the evening's preliminary card.

Schafer returns for his third UFC stint. After a 1-2 run in his first, he fought his way back into the organization in 2008. He won his first two outing (with stoppage wins over Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes) before setbacks to Ryan Bader and Jason Brilz via decision. After his release, he took off 18 months, dropped to middleweight, and picked up a submission victory over Chris Albandia at XFO 41 earlier this month. He's now 5-2 over his past seven fights.

Simpson, a two-time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, looks to build on the strength of back-to-back victories over Brad Tavares and Mario Miranda at UFC Fight Night 24 and UFC 132, respectively. After suffering consecutive losses to Mark Munoz and Chris Leben, Simpson has gone back to his wrestling roots for the past two contests and netted decision victories in both outings.

MMAJnukie.com

Ben

Reaction score
First there were rumblings, then there were rumors, then "sources close to the situation," and now the confirmation -- Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann at UFC 136 on Oct. 8 in Houston, Texas, is a number one middleweight contender fight.
This according to UFC President Dana White, who today confirmed at the "Edgar vs. Maynard 3" pre-fight press conference (video here, updates here) that a 185-pound title shot is awaiting the winner of this Saturday night's bout.
There are, perhaps, no two candidates better for such a consideration than Sonnen, who took current division king Anderson Silva to the brink his last time in the cage at UFC 117 in Aug. 2010, and Stann, who's knocked out both Jorge Santiago and Chris Leben so far this year.
And while neither man has put on his promoting shoes and done much talking to sell their fight this weekend, the match-up dictates a prize should be awaiting the victor.

Winner of Stann/Sonnen gets a shot at Silva. Pulling for Stann here, but I see Sonnen winning. Silva is getting shoulder surgery so match prob want happen until spring of 2012

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
At today's UFC 136 press conference, Dana White was asked about a possible fourth bout between Frankie Edgar (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) and Gray Maynard (10-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1 UFC), here is what he had to say…

"(Let's) put it behind us. This division is stacked with tons of talent, and there's a lot of good fights to make at 155.

I'm sure both of these guys will want to move on and get back to business"

MMAScoops.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;s4dFo547UPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4dFo547UPY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Ben

Reaction score
Pumped for this show. Spike Prelims start at 7 and if anyone wants to watch the main card I've got some streams lined up.

Ben

Reaction score
Pettis looked good def worked on his ground game since the guida fight

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Can you hook us up with the links Ben please.