TNA signs with POP TV

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score

TNA is now on POP TV, which is available in around 75 million households in America in a time slot of 9 PM EST on Tuesdays. The first ever episode will be live, on January 5th, and then they will tape episodes to air every Tuesday. Definitely a step above D-A, IMO. Quite exciting. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I should laugh because this means they are most likely back to paying for being on TV.

But they've got a TV home now I guess, even if it is the old TV guide network.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Rumour is that they pay for their slot and recoup via advertising but didn't advertising put wrestling in general on a no-advertise list?

Hopefully POP will be paying TNA a good amount. I want for TNA to go ahead and sign more wrestlers next year... Especially with Angle set to depart.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Rumour is that they pay for their slot and recoup via advertising but didn't advertising put wrestling in general on a no-advertise list?

Hopefully POP will be paying TNA a good amount. I want for TNA to go ahead and sign more wrestlers next year... Especially with Angle set to depart.
Pop ain't paying them anything. TNA pays POP. Judging by the other wrestling promotion that airs on POP that's how POP cuts deals.

Every show on POP is paying for a slot and hoping that advertising makes them profit apparently. So I guess it is do or die for TNA. Their existence will rely on them getting advertising.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Pop ain't paying them anything. TNA pays POP. Judging by the other wrestling promotion that airs on POP that's how POP cuts deals.

Every show on POP is paying for a slot and hoping that advertising makes them profit apparently. So I guess it is do or die for TNA. Their existence will rely on them getting advertising.
TBF Paragon Pro Wrestling is like a small indie while TNA's a national TV show that was in talks with WGN America.

Really, POP charges people to air their shows on their channel? Huh...

Stopspot

Reaction score
TBF Paragon Pro Wrestling is like a small indie while TNA's a national TV show that was in talks with WGN America.

Really, POP charges people to air their shows on their channel? Huh...
TNA's talks with WGN was most likely smoke and mirrors. If they were in talks with WGN, who would have offered them money (granted most likely a small amount of money) compared to paying money to air on POP, why would you sign with POP?

POP are in more homes than DA, but that's because it is the TV guide channel. That's literally what it is, the TV guide under a new name.

Former TNA star MVP, who has some knowledge of how TNA office works. Brought us this calculation on twitter.

Spike = $$$
DA=$
POP= -$

POP is most likely a good home on TV, if you can draw in the money you spend to air there on advertising, TNA has a history of not doing well on that front.

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well I guess I was wrong, TNA lives! They need major help in management though if they don't want to fuck up TV deal 3. That was actually the first time I predicted TNA's death with DA.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
TNA's talks with WGN was most likely smoke and mirrors. If they were in talks with WGN, who would have offered them money (granted most likely a small amount of money) compared to paying money to air on POP, why would you sign with POP?

POP are in more homes than DA, but that's because it is the TV guide channel. That's literally what it is, the TV guide under a new name.

Former TNA star MVP, who has some knowledge of how TNA office works. Brought us this calculation on twitter.

Spike = $$$
DA=$
POP= -$

POP is most likely a good home on TV, if you can draw in the money you spend to air there on advertising, TNA has a history of not doing well on that front.
Because WGN America will only offer them the TV deal if they sign in the summer, like last time when they were in talks just before they signed with Destination America.

Also what do you mean by TV Guide Channel? I mean, in the UK, I don't think we have one of those - we'll just look on the general TV guide for shows, not an actual channel?

Hmm... If wrestling in general has been given a Do Not Advertise by most advertising firms, then how do TNA get the money in... :/ I don't know what adverts were shown when they were in Destination America but I assume it was the redneck kind.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Because WGN America will only offer them the TV deal if they sign in the summer, like last time when they were in talks just before they signed with Destination America.

Also what do you mean by TV Guide Channel? I mean, in the UK, I don't think we have one of those - we'll just look on the general TV guide for shows, not an actual channel?

Hmm... If wrestling in general has been given a Do Not Advertise by most advertising firms, then how do TNA get the money in... :/ I don't know what adverts were shown when they were in Destination America but I assume it was the redneck kind.
The TV Guide channel was a channel owned by the American TV guide magazine ( you know that extra newspaper you could buy that had all the tv lineups) where they ran the tv lineups, a lot of infomercials and reruns of shows that bought slots. Pop is that channel rebranded and with more of an entertainment focus. But from all I can find, you still have to pay to get your show on it.

And it is not so much that wrestling itself is a no go for advertisers, but the TNA brand it seems. WWE still gets advertisers and sponsors. And ROH has had a ton of advertisers and sponsors, all from dating hotlines to athletic brazes to prostate exam infomercials.

It's more like if you are wrestling and not the WWE. You can still get advertisers, but you cannot be as picky

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
The TV Guide channel was a channel owned by the American TV guide magazine ( you know that extra newspaper you could buy that had all the tv lineups) where they ran the tv lineups, a lot of infomercials and reruns of shows that bought slots. Pop is that channel rebranded and with more of an entertainment focus. But from all I can find, you still have to pay to get your show on it.

And it is not so much that wrestling itself is a no go for advertisers, but the TNA brand it seems. WWE still gets advertisers and sponsors. And ROH has had a ton of advertisers and sponsors, all from dating hotlines to athletic brazes to prostate exam infomercials.

It's more like if you are wrestling and not the WWE. You can still get advertisers, but you cannot be as picky
Ohh okay. Looks like right now they still only air reruns and movies. Plus PPW but that's early in the morning.

Those ROH adverts sound boss. Don't they sometimes have their own wrestlers in them? That's what I've heard a few times anyways (probably a joke though).

Oh and Drew Galloway is on the promo pic for the POP announcement, looks like they might be pushing him as one of their big stars.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Ohh okay. Looks like right now they still only air reruns and movies. Plus PPW but that's early in the morning.

Those ROH adverts sound boss. Don't they sometimes have their own wrestlers in them? That's what I've heard a few times anyways (probably a joke though).

Oh and Drew Galloway is on the promo pic for the POP announcement, looks like they might be pushing him as one of their big stars.
There's almost always a ROH star involved in the ads, or at least in a intro to it "stay tuned for this message from the health alert hotline".

And Galloway has been intended as a big push star since he came in. Yet somehow he only picked up two clean wins in his first 6 months with the company

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I... have no idea about what PopTV is. If like the old TV Guide channel it's available with lesser cable packages, great news for Impact. The channel itself would be a much bigger draw that would attract a wider array of advertisers.

Still doesn't solve the question of "who's going to watch?" unfortunately. What can TNA do to get any of us back on board?

Stopspot

Reaction score
I... have no idea about what PopTV is. If like the old TV Guide channel it's available with lesser cable packages, great news for Impact. The channel itself would be a much bigger draw that would attract a wider array of advertisers.

Still doesn't solve the question of "who's going to watch?" unfortunately. What can TNA do to get any of us back on board?
About five years of solid booking and storyline development. That seems to be the case outside of rare instances for downbeaten wrestling promotions to get back on their feet.