Thoughts on the Roman Reigns & John Cena segment?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

El Curry

Kids See Ghosts
Reaction score

I just wanted to gage everyone's thoughts on the segment between Reigns and Cena on RAW? Shit got pretty real.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Roman did respectably...but Cena outshined him tenfold. Apparently, this was scripted or completely worked, but still...this exposed how Roman is not quite at Cena's level on the mic... Also...

Cena buried Reigns by cutting a promo about him not burying Reigns Let that sink in for a sec...

Edit: Also, another thing I said, they missed an opportunity with the tag match to have some sort of miscommunication or someone walking out if they had to do the tag match. It undid a lot of what they said.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I just watched it. I like how they let them use everything everyone has been saying about John through Roman and everything that people have been saying about Roman through John. I like how Cena said "Step up or step aside". Both of them sounded good to me. I liked it. Also... Cena was turning it into a rap battle at the end which made me laugh.

Filet-o-Fish

The Showoff
Reaction score
As a fan of both these dudes, it was so fun to watch. Roman did well on the microphone, but Cena was something else. One of my favourite of the last few years.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Death Walker

Better Known As King Of Armageddon | Trapped In Darkness
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
batista
I just watched it. I like how they let them use everything everyone has been saying about John through Roman and everything that people have been saying about Roman through John. I like how Cena said "Step up or step aside". Both of them sounded good to me. I liked it. Also... Cena was turning it into a rap battle at the end which made me laugh.
Yeah, he's been saying "step up or step aside".....his best recent promos were the ones on Talking Smack.

This last one was either removed or "lost" from WWE YouTube channel, between 4min. 56 sec to 14 min. 50 sec covers his strongest points:
WWE Talking Smack: 12/27/16 | Full Show | WrestleRap

Last edited:
Reactions: Solid Snake

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Cena is so full of shit. Talking about how he used the US title to elevate guys like Kevin Owens and AJ Styles. He buried Kevin Owens in that feud. He let KO go over one time at a throw away PPV. And then when did he face AJ Styles for the US title? Cuz AJ didn't debut until months after he lost to Del Rio

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I don't know. I'd rather see kayfabe be fixed instead of further broken, I'd love to see storylines on TV matter instead of reading Meltzer to follow WWE and why things are happening. In a way it bothered me, but what else could you do!? Some generic "big match" angle and get more you both suck chants!?

I saw it so much differently since I tried to watch Summerslam and couldn't get through the first match because the Golden Shovel was pissing me off. Now he's mocking it on the next week lol. After he was openly mocking Corbin and politically getting Corbin to talk shit and just laughing in a cowboy hat before going through his moves and ruining a guy in Baron Corbin who at least could be a credible opponent. Laugh about Roman getting wrecked here all you want but I just cannot forgive Cena for pulling this horseshit and Prince does too. The ONE GUY on SDL they've tried to build in the last year they do this to lol I cant. That was probably the best post Takeover NXT episode yet though! :yay:

Chicken McDouble

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Cena is so full of shit. Talking about how he used the US title to elevate guys like Kevin Owens and AJ Styles. He buried Kevin Owens in that feud. He let KO go over one time at a throw away PPV. And then when did he face AJ Styles for the US title? Cuz AJ didn't debut until months after he lost to Del Rio

The US open challenge was one of the best things Cena has done, he put on great matches with people like Neville, Cesaro and Zayn who all had great showings against Cena. He beat Kevin Owens yeah, but did he bury him? Not at all. Three very good matches, and only 2 months after the feud was finished, Owens won the Intercontinental Championship, and held it until TLC. KO then went on to eventually win the Universal Championship (despite the reign not being very good), and his stuff with Jericho was amazing.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
This segment was the best that it could've been. If they would've stuck with the completely scripted, "I'm Roman and I'm thee guy," and, "I'm Cena and I'm the guy to beat" bullshit, it would've been terrible. The fact that they legit dug at each other and broke character to make it seem more believable, made it better. Cena def outshined Roman and showed why he's still the top dog, but I also feel like Cena is bringing the best out of Roman as Romans segment was the best he's like ever done.

This segment single handedly made this feud even bigger than what it was already going to be. Brilliant. Also, cena was completely right. He hasn't been burying talent at all lately and, in fact, Cena is here to help Roman excel in a major feud.

All in all, the feud is elevated more and I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes and it may lead to a mania match to conclude the feud. I see them fighting at no mercy, maybe the rumble, then mania. Could be wrong, but I see this feud continuing to the grand stage, similar to a Brock and Goldberg thing.

Reactions: Red Rain

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
The US open challenge was one of the best things Cena has done, he put on great matches with people like Neville, Cesaro and Zayn who all had great showings against Cena. He beat Kevin Owens yeah, but did he bury him? Not at all. Three very good matches, and only 2 months after the feud was finished, Owens won the Intercontinental Championship, and held it until TLC. KO then went on to eventually win the Universal Championship (despite the reign not being very good), and his stuff with Jericho was amazing.

I think u are cutting Cena a little too much credit for that. With KO, a lot of people were pissed that he didn't go over in that feud and win the US title. Everyone was hoping and expecting him too. Cesaro, Neville, and Zayn might of had good matches with them but did they win the belt? Nope. Where are they are now in their careers? Zayn has yet to win a title. Neville has been demoted to crushing jobbers on a useless program (205 live) and constantly working pre shows. Cesaro got to hold the tag team titles (big whoop) but has prettt much always been held down his entire career. Cena decided he would "elevate" Alberto Del Rio by letting him go over (mind u so he could go film a TV series and begin his career as a part timer). And Alberto Del Rio was a giant waste of time for the WWE

Reactions: Death Walker

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I honestly had no intention of watching this segment...and
I didn't watch the match after it...but I read Cena told Roman
some "hard truths" and I couldn't resist taking a look.

Youtube is a beautiful thing...

Is it wrong that I really don't give it shit about the match itself?

I mean both guys are great in the ring...and Cena at least
has a personality...but I don't really care and I could list 6
or 7 feuds I'd rather see than this one.

I will admit...it was fun hearing Cena tear Roman to pieces
and watching Roman stumble through his responses...using
"intelligent" comebacks like "You Suck" & "You're a Bitch"

Very good Roman...your promo skills sure have improved
since you told the Big Show the story of Jack & the Beanstalk.

All you Roman fans still remember that right?

If not...well...I'm happy to remind you.

I guess I'd be happy to see Cena bury Roman...but we all
know that isn't going to happen...because everything in
the WWE exists to make "Roman Look Strong" so I'm
guessing they'll have three matches...Cena wins 1
Roman wins 2 and then after Cena leaves to go be
in some more movies while Roman defeats Lesnar
at Wrestlemania 34 to become Universal Champion
as the crowd rains boos down upon him.

+++

Roman Reigns is going to be the future face of the
company whether we hate him or like him, boo him
or cheer him or we buy his merchandise or we don't.

Vince McMahon doesn't care what any of us think and
he doesn't really need to make money or worry about
any competition.

This is happening...Roman will be the top guy, the big dog,
the face of the company because Vince McMahon "knows"
what is best for his company.

And I'm okay with that...because I always have the choice
not to watch or care about Roman Reigns...the same way
some fans don't care about the women's division.

Just because the WWE is "selling" Roman Reigns doesn't
mean I have to buy it...or even look at it.

I hope the match/es are entertaining and the fans enjoy
them...but I'll pass.

DualShock

Jobber
Reaction score
The problem with the segment is that Cena was acting cocky like he is some beloved face from the past like Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, Ric Flair etc. who returned to Raw to criticize the current face of the company. In reality Cena was criticizing Reigns for the same bullshit Cena was criticized for. It's like watching John Cena using a time machine to travel back in the past to berate John Cena 2007.
It would be alright if Cena did cut a promo like "I've been through the same bullshit like you with the boos and instead of learning from my mistakes you are lazy, not changing and only hoping to get some respect 10 years later because you would be then a veteran" or "Trust me whatever you do you will not force the fans to cheer you, I know that from experience so stop trying to get cheers at my expense" or something like that but the point of the promo was something like "They don't boo you for the same reason they booed me. They booed me because of this and that but the reason why they boo you is because you suck".
No they booed you Cena for the same reason they boo Reigns, because you also suck as a corporately created failure as a face of the company.
What's the point of a part timer who sucked as a full timer telling the current full timer he sucks?
The only reason why the fans believe Cena looked better in the promo and owned Reigns is because Cena is now a part timer who will maybe in the next 5 years have only 20 matches so he isn't the main problem anymore so it's easy for him to mock Reigns because the fans will ignore his mistakes and will focus only on the full timers who they don't like.

Death Walker

Better Known As King Of Armageddon | Trapped In Darkness
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
batista
The problem with the segment is that Cena was acting cocky like he is some beloved face from the past like Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, Ric Flair etc. who returned to Raw to criticize the current face of the company. In reality Cena was criticizing Reigns for the same bullshit Cena was criticized for. It's like watching John Cena using a time machine to travel back in the past to berate John Cena 2007.
It would be alright if Cena did cut a promo like "I've been through the same bullshit like you with the boos and instead of learning from my mistakes you are lazy, not changing and only hoping to get some respect 10 years later because you would be then a veteran" or "Trust me whatever you do you will not force the fans to cheer you, I know that from experience so stop trying to get cheers at my expense" or something like that but the point of the promo was something like "They don't boo you for the same reason they booed me. They booed me because of this and that but the reason why they boo you is because you suck".

Um, give it time?? I mean this is only the beginning of their feud.