"The Punisher" Kevin Calvaco

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

YO-views on JEFF HARDY as WWE CHAMPION?

I like it. He's earned it, and he was the most deserving. As far as timing goes, it think they could have saved it, and been a little more patient, but at the same time, the way they booked it, it was the right time. I don't think he's ever going to be the Cena type, franchise guy, but certainly a top guy. Hopefully he doesn't screw up. I think its a good thing for the wwe to take a chance once and a while. You can't book, with a lot of "what ifs" in mind.

Mr.Kennedy possible title win in 2009?

Depends which title. I can't see him winning either main belt. Maybe a midcard. I see him bridging the gap between Mid/Main event level. Kinda like a JBL, but better. With some good storylines for him. I think he's a similar case to Hardy, except Hardy has been in the wwe for over ten years.

what do ya-think will be RAW's World title match at Wrestlemania 25?

I'll say Cena vs Orton. I wouldn't be too shocked if HBK is in a headlining role though. So it could be Cena vs HBk, or HBK vs JBL in a main spot. I can't see Jericho or CM Punk Main eventing at this point.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
cool...so like...anotha' question fo-yo-ass son....

Who do ya-think should turn heel(in any promotion like ROH,WWE,tna)?

and who do ya-think should turn face?

Montana

Who do ya-think should turn heel(in any promotion like ROH,WWE,tna)?

I would say Batista. Maybe just he's on the top of my head. But I think its time the wwe starts thinking about turning Batista or Cena heel, and push some new faces.

and who do ya-think should turn face?

This is kinda tough. I'll say Sting. He should have NEVER turned heel in the first place. They should use him a legend, and only wrestle on special occassions.

For the most part i think the heel/face situation is fine. The main problems i see with each show.

Raw

The only real problem i have with Raw at the moment, is JBL been used in the main role. As much as i hate to say it, it might not be a believable storyline, but its interesting because you don't know what your going to get next. Your waiting for HBK to superkick JBL's head off. Other than that, i don't say any noticable problems.

2008 Grade B+

ECW

My problem with ECW at the moment, is that its just wrestling it seems like. There is fueds, but theres no storylines or reason to get the viewer to watch every week. I've liked that they put Jack Swagger in a main role, with a fued with Hardy. But I think we are starting to see why Matt Hardy isn't a wwe champ or HW champ. Plus ECW has had roster depth problems as well.

2008 Grade C+

Smackdown

Smackdown is a trainwreck in my opinion. Realistically with that roster, they should be the #1 show, but i think Raw has them beat by far in terms of entertainment value. Mostly storylines and the booking of Michael Hayes. I've been argueing with Kaedon and CMS about this, and some people love smackdown for what it is. Myself, I think Smackdown is a OK wrestling program. MY problem with Smackdown is take a look at the roster... You got
HHH, Undertaker, Big Show, Jeff Hardy, Edge, MVP, Mr. Kennedy, Ron Killings, Colt Cabana, Great Khali, Umaga, Brain Kendrick, Carlito, Shelton. You got ALL this talent, and you got piss poor storylines. Undertaker / Edge had some great matches in 2008. My problem with the lack of build or storylines within that fued. Jeff Hardy wining the belt was great. They've done some good things. But if you watch Smackdown, there is noticable flaws.

- Vickie G is still GM ( I know she gets heel heat, but shes a terrible actor)

- MVP's losing streak ( i heard a rumor how its ending, You take the #2 heel on SD, and probably the guy that was carrying the show in 2007, and you job him out for almost half of year. THEN, after that, you don't have a big finale?!!?)

- Not using Colt Cabana. It boggles my mind how he isn't used. He would one of the most "entertaining" guys out there.

- Vladimir Kozlov main eventing Survivor Series, without having a PPV match under his belt.

- Jesse + Festus - Seriously....we all know this isn't going anywhere.

-Sheltons 6 + month reign as US champ with no storylines.

- Weekly main event run-ins ( i think there was a span of 7 out of 8 weeks there was a run in)

To me, these flaws out weigh the pro's. Looking at most of these flaws, it's from everything under the main event. Except Vladimir. So yeah, SD might put on 30 minutes of good stuff, but theres still 1 hour and 30 minutes of ehh stuff. BUT, when i grade, i can't look at what they aren't doing. More what they are. So as a wrestling show i'll give it B+, but as entertainment its like a D. So the overall Grade is:
Grade: C

* only because Jeff Hardy won the belt (thanks to Vince) and Taker/Edge had the MOTY for the wwe.

TNA Impact

TNA is still up and down. You can see they are trying. There is a lot i would change if i took over, but at the same time I like the direction Jarrett is taking the company. If they fix a few flaws, TNA could be a very good show.

Grade B

======================================================

So yeah, I like Impact better than Smackdown. I think they establish their characters better, and provide a more entertaining two hours.

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
You're big on independant, and Japanese wrestlers.

Do who out of these guys you think are the easiest to have in a mid card, and describe the one you choose. Try to give an example of a popular mid carder whom was, or is similar to him.

Go Shiozaki
CIMA
Kenny Omega
Satoshi Kojima
Bryan Saxton
Ron Zombie

Airfixx

1. Any thoughts on to whom/when you see Shelton finally drop the US title?

2. Considering the plans for the new 'WWE Superstars' show, do you see there being an overall effect on the product in general or do you see it as simply a chance to 'flesh-out' some of the newer characters away from the somewhat over-populated(*) main shows? ...Do you see any distinct difference between the function of this new show and ECW & OVW?

(*i.e. Given the amount of TV & PPV time available.)

3. Who do you think the most under-utilised guy in WWE was during 2008?

4. As above, but this time BADLY-utilised? (Wait; I think I actually already know the answer to this... ;o] )

5. Do you really think Kennedy will ever 'get there'? (For one reason or another, he just seems cursed to me.... I was looking forward to his return (SD has needed another credible mid-card face ever since the draft), but he's not even returned yet and I'm already sick of seeing his ass on TV!)

6. Initial impression of Kizzarny? (Dunno if you've read my comments elsewhere, but where d'fuck is the gimmick once the guy hits the ring?)

Montana

sorry, can't answer these today. I should be back on the ball very soon. Been busy. Feel free to keep asking question though. I'll probably get to them tomorrow.

Montana

Do who out of these guys you think are the easiest to have in a mid card, and describe the one you choose. Try to give an example of a popular mid carder whom was, or is similar to him.

Go Shiozaki
CIMA
Kenny Omega
Satoshi Kojima
Bryan Saxton
Ron Zombie

As well far as your pick for midcarder, it depends if you want a american or japanese wrestler. Heres my thoughts:

Go shoizaki: He's the future of japanese wrestlering (well he could be) He's a bigger muscular wrestler with the hardest chop ever. He's very plain though. No much flash, all business. Former FIP champ.

Cima: Another big japanese star, of a smaller upcoming promotion. Great wrestler, and has more flash than Go. Coma would probably be my pick, BUT if you want a american, you have more storylines possible.

Kenny Omega: Great indy talent. Last year was released from his wwe development contract. Canadian wrestler. Fun to watch, and entertaining character. Should eventually make it big in the future. I'd pick Omega, if you want a american.

Satoshi Kojima: honestly i dont know too much about him, but i guess he's a pretty big babyface in Japan.

Bryon Saxton: The next elijah Burke. Still pretty green. Im not sure he if will even be as good as Burke, but he does remind me a lot of him.

Ron Zombie: DOn't know much about him, BUT he's a indy hardcore wrestler. Looks like rob zombie.

1. Any thoughts on to whom/when you see Shelton finally drop the US title?

Good question. It doesn't look like any of the current midcarders are close. I would have said R Truth, but his push ended fast, (helms too) Considering Shelton hasn't even had a storyline on SD yet, i wouldn't expect them to start anytime soon. I Could see someone like Mr. Kennedy returning to defeat Shelton. If not perhaps a monster like Khali or Umaga. Those would be my picks. I guess MVP wouldn't be that much of a longshot either. They pretty much killed MVP though.

2. Considering the plans for the new 'WWE Superstars' show, do you see there being an overall effect on the product in general or do you see it as simply a chance to 'flesh-out' some of the newer characters away from the somewhat over-populated(*) main shows? ...Do you see any distinct difference between the function of this new show and ECW & OVW?

(*i.e. Given the amount of TV & PPV time available.)

I think its going to fly under the radar, and no one is really going to watch. Kinda like saturday nights main event. I really dont know whats going to be on the show. I think a show that hightlighted old matches would be pretty cool. But if its just a RAW/SD/ECW Recap, i can't see much many people tuning in. However its a good idea. I think saturday morning would be a better time than night too.

3. Who do you think the most under-utilised guy in WWE was during 2008?

I'll say Elijah Burke. The guy was pretty over on the internet. Not sure why they would release him. Colt Cabana too, but he never really got a fair shake.

4. As above, but this time BADLY-utilised? (Wait; I think I actually already know the answer to this... ;o] )

Like Poorly used? Pushed too much? I'll say JBL. They try to make him look like a main event, but the problem is, he's not. Instead of helping the midcard talent get over he jobs to all the top faces, and it really lost its value.

5. Do you really think Kennedy will ever 'get there'? (For one reason or another, he just seems cursed to me.... I was looking forward to his return (SD has needed another credible mid-card face ever since the draft), but he's not even returned yet and I'm already sick of seeing his ass on TV!)

There as in WWE Champ? I'd say so. Everyone likes him, even the WWE. They gave him a movie deal. I mean its on him to screw it up. I don't think he's cursed. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue up the card. Plus some the veterns are getting old, which is going to make it very important for the wwe to get the young guys over.

6. Initial impression of Kizzarny? (Dunno if you've read my comments elsewhere, but where d'fuck is the gimmick once the guy hits the ring?)

Kizarny Sizucks. He's not that great over a wrestler. I don't mind the carnival freak gimmick. I actually kinda like it. But i hate how he talks. He could just be a real creepy dude, and not a carni, but whatever. So i think they could come up with some good storylines for the guy, but i guess the wwe is changin their minds on him fast, so we will see.

Beer Money Army

sup Monty, Havent asked a question in a while...

but here is one..

have you seen any of these following?
Revenge on the Prophecy - West Mifflin, PA 1/11/03
Frontiers of Honor
Do or Die - Philadelphia, PA 5/31/03
Wrath of the Racket - Dayton, OH 8/9/03
Beating the Odds - Wakefield, MA 9/6/03
Tradition Continues - Glen Burnie, MD 10/16/03
Empire State Showdown - Spencerport, NY 10/25/03
The Conclusion - Fairfield, CT 11/28/03
ROH/JAPW Collison Course
The Battle Lines Are Drawn - Wilmington, OH 1/10/04
The Last Stand - Glen Burnie, MD 1/29/04
Gold - Dayton, OH 10/15/04
New Frontiers - Buffalo, NY 6/4/05
A Night of Tribute - Long Island, NY 11/19/05
Irresistable Forces - Chicago Ridge, IL 10, 28/06
International Challenge - Hartford, CT 12/22/06
Man Up - Chicago Ridge, IL 9/15/07
Chaos at the Cow Palace (10/21/07
Glory by Honor VI Night 1 (11/2/07)
Glory by Honor VI, Night Two 11/3/07
reckless abandon 11/30/07
unscripted 3 12/1/2007
Proving Ground 1/11/2008
without remorse 1/26/2008
eye of storm 2/22/2008
Double Feature 3/14-3/15 2008
Injustice 4/12/2008
Battle for supremacy 6/27/2008
Age of Insanity 8/15/2008
Night of the Butcher II 8/16/2008
Battle of the best 9/13/2008

Montana

Man Up - Chicago Ridge, IL 9/15/07 - Awesome show. One of my favs. Their best ppv imo. 10/10

Glory by Honor VI Night 1 (11/2/07) - Solid show, Aries/Danielson was the best match. 8/10

Glory by Honor VI, Night Two 11/3/07 - I like this show a little better than night 1. Nothing really stood out, but lots of good matches. More of a theme to the show 8.75/10

reckless abandon 11/30/07 - Throw away show. Aries/Strong makes this a one match show. None the less, even a bad ROH show, is pretty good. 7/10

unscripted 3 12/1/2007 - not the best card, but its got some interesting matchups. Jacobs/Danielson, Aries/Black, and Claudio/Hero are the top matches. 8/10

Proving Ground 1/11/2008 - Another Mehh card, but i thought this show came through. I loved Danielson vs. Albright. No MOTYC on this show, but solid none the less. 8.25/10

without remorse 1/26/2008 - Felt like they wanted to make this show really big, and it didnt work. Great Main event though with Nigel vs Strong. 7.5/10

eye of storm 2/22/2008 - Pretty good tournament. 3.5 stars was the best match though, if i remember correct. 8/10

Double Feature 3/14-3/15 2008 - One of my least favorite ROH shows. Just like a collection of matches, and matches werent really that good. Not much in the way of storylines. Team Work vs. Nigel / Go was the only match i really liked. 6.5/10

Injustice 4/12/2008 - Some pretty good stuff here. Claudio vs. Ibushi was real good. NRC vs. briscoes was good. 8/10

Battle for supremacy 6/27/2008 - Pretty lame show, Hero vs Strong was the match to see. Nigel vs Pearce was better than expected though. 7/10

Age of Insanity 8/15/2008 - I was there. One of the best matches this year in Nigel vs. El Generico. Some other fun stuff in this show, but not much near as good as the main event. . 8.5/10

Night of the Butcher II 8/16/2008 - While there was no bad matches on this show, some of the matches dragged, and the matches that should have been the longest, were not that long. The chicago crowd was pretty hyped, but for a Chicago show, i didn't think it lived up to standards. Overall rank 7.5/10 as this one just didn't have much to write home about.

Battle of the best 9/13/2008 - I just completed watching Battle of the Best. Solid effort. I've read some reviews, and i dont really agree with most. To me, the highlight of this card was Strong vs Richards. I'd say about 4 stars on that match. Stiff tough matchup. The show started off a little slow with a couple ROH vs Dragon Gate matches. But the final matches were all around 3.25-3.5 stars. Danielson vs Nigel was a little slow, but still a classic matchup. Briscoes vs AOTF was a great typical ROH brawl. Then the 6 man was a fun matchup. I wouldnt call this a must see, but certainly a solid dvd.

I review most of the 2008 ROH shows in the dvd discussion thread. i don't add any results in my reviews. Match ratings, thats about all.

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
What do you think is different between Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne), and all the other independant wrestlers whom haven't had a good run in the WWE? What is Sydal doing differently, and what should others be doing? By others, I mean Bam Neely, Kofi Kingston, and others.

Montana

What do you think is different between Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne), and all the other independant wrestlers whom haven't had a good run in the WWE? What is Sydal doing differently, and what should others be doing? By others, I mean Bam Neely, Kofi Kingston, and others.

I think he is just that good. He's one of the best high flyers in the world, and certainly one of the best americans. On top of that, he's young, has a good underdog babyface look. As far as what others shold be doing, i think its just his training and work ethic. To me, he's one of the smoothest wrestlers, and he almost always is crisp when he hits move. To me, those are two big things that seperate good from great. AJ Styles i put in that category. Most everything styles does, (except the moonsault reverse ddt) is very smooth. I think one of the few indy wrestlers you could compare in terms of high flying is Jack Evans. Sydal has a better look, adds more wrestlering, and really just isn't a spotmonkey. Guys like Bam Neely you really cant compare. Someone like a Koffi Kingston is a good example. I think Koffi has done everything right so far, and he's been IC champ. I think the biggest difference between Sydal and Kingston is the larger moveset. Maybe i haven't seen a lot of Kingston's early stuff, but he's got his 4 moves of doom, and I think Sydal just has more variety he can pull off flawlessly. I also think the WWE took notice when Sydal was in WSX.

Montana

Do you want to give me some inside info on Hardcore Impact?

Your going to have to wait until Mayhem to find out the finishing touches to Holiday Havok. Montana has wheeled and dealed and found a match thats right up your alley.