Should They Do A One Year Build With The Undertaker/John Cena?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
I've never known Sting to be a particularly strong mic worker. In fact, he's relatively white meat on the stick and the term 'build' wouldn't amount to much if his promos lack heat.
Sting's program with Hogan worked because he was silent. He was butt-hurt about the fans, but more due to the nature of the Crow character. The character showed no allegiances as the 'beachboy' Sting was effectively ended at Bash '96.
Considering Taker doesn't speak much either, I sense a Sin Cara vs Sin Cara pointing promo or cring worthy segments from Stinger who has no clue how to do a heated promo

At Sting's peak, he was avenging a wrong and effectively all this actions did the speaking for him. All the right elements came together....anger, hurt, jealousy, betrayal all played a role during the Sting/Hogan program.

inb4 someone comes in and talks about how great Sting is on the mic.

:obama:

wk

Reactions: JC4Life37

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
:mog: you got me at this one Goldberg/Warrior!? And Savage/Triple H a dream match!? Maybe in HHH nightmare!? IOF LOSING NOT ONLY MATCH BUT SOMETHING ELSE TO! :pipebomb:

Goldberg/Warrior could have been a great powerhouse match. Sure, it had the potential to stink up the joint, but then so did Hogan and Warrior at Wrestlemania 6 if not for Pat Patterson's meticulous booking, which helped make it one of the greatest Wrestlemania showdowns of all time. A talented enough booker could have worked the same kind of magic with Goldberg and Warrior in 1998. You don't need technical maneuvers or flip flops to tell a great, emotional story in the ring. The fact that Goldberg was the modern day powerhouse and Warrior was a powerhouse of the past and a guy who arguably would have been Goldberg's biggest threat to date is enough to sell the match. Plus, Goldberg would have been the first man to defeat Warrior cleanly, quite the fitting accolade considering Warrior himself had the honor of defeating another big star (Hogan) cleanly years earlier.

And Savage/Triple H could have been an intense feud, I'd imagine. I can easily think of several things that could have been done with that rivalry, at least in a total dream booking scenario where the two faced off when Savage was still with Elizabeth because the dynamic of one guy having a classy lady for a wife (Elizabeth) and the other having a total bitch for a wife (Stephanie) would have been an interesting one. Imagine an Elizabeth and Sherri type of cat fight all over again. There's other cool aspects the feud would have, but I don't want to ramble on too long. Might fantasy book something like this in a thread of it's own just for fun.

This is literally the greatest what-might-have-been in WWE history as far as I'm concerned. I just remember that Sting's reason for not coming was his concern with what they would do with his character. The sad thing is that Sting's basically been proved right by what happened to so many of the other guys who came in from WCW during the invasion angle.

wk

Blame Kevin Dunn. Supposedly, he was the one who persuaded Vince into believing that they shouldn't let the WCW guys look too strong over their own superstars (even in storyline) since they spent the last several years trying to get the WWF brand name over as a superior product compared to every other promotion. And since McMahon always takes Dunn's opinion into serious consideration (hardly anyone likes Dunn apart from Vince himself, apparently... it's even been said by a few that he may be one of the first people fired when Triple H and Steph take over), he went with it. I'm still skeptical though if this would have happened o the same extent if huge names like Sting and Goldberg or even Hogan had jumped over. Booker T., which a former WCW Champion, still felt like a mid range name compared to those guys and so was DDP.

Post-Invasion though, I find the whole belief that WCW guys were so horribly misused to be a very flawed one, but that's another story. Also, for the record, if HHH/Steph really are considering having Dunn fired when they officially take over, consider it their first mistake because Dunn is still an awesome production guy.