Should They Do A One Year Build With The Undertaker/John Cena?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score
Taker/Sting isn't worthy of a one year build and hype imo. They really shouldn't waste the idea of hyping a match for that long on guys who are BOTH part-time attractions (this is what Sting would be if he returned as he obviously wouldn't want to work a full schedule, and he's openly stated in interviews before that only on those conditions would he ever sign with WWE.) I'm apathetic whether that match even occurs, honestly.

That why Sting and Taker should be 1 year build! There both part timer and everyone online had ask this match! So if Sting did sign with wwe and the rumor are true (which I don't believe by the way) and he make dubut the night after wm30 that would best time to start 1 year build with taker! Taker could be written off and sting could be going for awaile while wwe try selling t-shit. That maybe to do storyline like cena and rock were there team up at s.seris and then feud at wm31!

F.R.I.E

Save_Us Frie.2.J
Reaction score
That why Sting and Taker should be 1 year build! There both part timer and everyone online had ask this match! So if Sting did sign with wwe and the rumor are true (which I don't believe by the way) and he make dubut the night after wm30 that would best time to start 1 year build with taker! Taker could be written off and sting could be going for awaile while wwe try selling t-shit. That maybe to do storyline like cena and rock were there team up at s.seris and then feud at wm31!
How is Sting a part-timer?

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score

Ok, you have a slightly valid point (for once.) Having a one year build revolve around two part-time attractions could work out better since things wouldn't be as predictable all year round that way (i.e. we knew Cena wasn't winning the WWE Championship or the Royal Rumble match before Wrestlemania 28, for example, since he already knew for a full year that he would be fighting Rocky at the event, and we all pretty much figured it wouldn't involve the championship.) Still, Taker vs Sting isn't really a match I'm looking forward to. After seeing Taker do battle with a list of established names (Shawn Michaels, Triple H, CM Punk, Brock Lesnar) at six Wrestlemania events in a row, I'd want to see Wrestlemania 31 revolve around a younger guy who's looking to challenge and end the streak to make a name for himself, not just Taker versus another legend. (This is only assuming Taker doesn't retire next year... in that case, obviously I want to see him square off with Cena.)

How is Sting a part-timer?

He's stated in interviews before that if he were to sign with the WWE, he would only be willing to work a part-time schedule (since he's 55 as of today and doesn't want to risk getting injured at his age.) Supposedly, McMahon wanted him to work a full schedule and that's what prevented him from signing with the company back in 2011.

F.R.I.E

Save_Us Frie.2.J
Reaction score
Ok, you have a slightly valid point (for once.) Having a one year build revolve around two part-time attractions could work out better since things wouldn't be as predictable all year round that way (i.e. we knew Cena wasn't winning the WWE Championship or the Royal Rumble match before Wrestlemania 28, for example, since he already knew for a full year that he would be fighting Rocky at the event, and we all pretty much figured it wouldn't involve the championship.) Still, Taker vs Sting isn't really a match I'm looking forward to. After seeing Taker do battle with a list of established names (Shawn Michaels, Triple H, CM Punk, Brock Lesnar) at six Wrestlemania events in a row, I'd want to see Wrestlemania 31 revolve around a younger guy who's looking to challenge and end the streak to make a name for himself, not just Taker versus another legend. (This is only assuming Taker doesn't retire next year... in that case, obviously I want to see him square off with Cena.)

He's stated in interviews before that if he were to sign with the WWE, he would only be willing to work a part-time schedule (since he's 55 as of today and doesn't want to risk getting injured at his age.) Supposedly, McMahon wanted him to work a full schedule and that's what prevented him from signing with the company back in 2011.
I was talking in the sense of his TNA days. Plus, I only see him wrestling one match in WWE. He'd be more of a one-timer.

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score

But streak not going to beat so him face a younger star would make no sense. like I said I still don't if sting has sign with wwe yet? some people wwe feel he has but other feel he has not sign with wwe yet? SO it all sepeletion at this point? But IF (and that a big IF) wwe has sign sting I do believe that will do the Taker vs. Sting make next year at wm31 since wm31 is in California which is were Sting from. Which would make sense if he has sign with wwe? And the year build would make sense to do. since that don't have to use Sting for the whole year and jus sell his t-shit. And then makbe team up with Taker at S.Seris and face another team like Cena and Rock did. and then that move forward to WM31 that can do video hype like that did Cena and Rock which I thin would move EPIC then there since there 2 dark gimmick guy from 2 different world of wrestling. 1 Big in WWE the other Big in WCW! And with wwe network for fans who don't know who sting is wwe can ad old sting matchest from the WCW day since that own WCW content and get young fans to know who the STINGER Crow is! Also I hope does not face John Cena as Cena does not desavre to end he streak! I rather see Undertaker face The Rock over Cena!

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
I don't think Sting has even signed yet, he took Ric Flair's place on promotional appearances at Revolution Pro this past weekend. I believe Flair was made to pull out by the WWE as he's still under contract to them.- but the cited 'Personal reasons'.

I can see why Cena would be chosen as the one to break the streak, but honestly, I would hate that. I'd rather the streak go unbroken and Taker retire at 25-0, providing he could manage another four.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just speaking hypothetically here since Sting signing still isn't official yet (although it's been said that he's apparently gonna be in New Orleans during Wrestlemania weekend... just something to think about.) If he DID sign though, there would be little doubt that they would book him against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Sting wants it, Taker probably wants it, JR and Austin were discussing together (on JR's podcast) how much they'd enjoy it, etc.

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
By WM31, Sting will be 56. I don't understand the appeal of this match lol

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score

It's the same appeal as watching HBK take on Ric Flair or the Rock take on Hogan. In a lot of ways, it's the same appeal of watching Rocky take on Cena.

It's a match that people have wanted to see for a long time. And, while neither man is the same as he was in his prime, they are both still in tremendous shape and remember how to work.

wk

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score

A lot of people would love to see it due to three reasons:

1. Because of how compatible the gimmicks of "The Phenom" Undertaker and "The Crow" Sting could be, given that they're both dark and mysterious personas (albeit in completely different ways.)

2. Because back in the day, they were the easily the most loyal man of either company they wrestled for (Undertaker in WWF, Sting in WCW) and the guy that the bosses could count on the most to never jump to the competition. (This is why if Sting had come over during the WCW Invasion storyline in 2001, a rivalry between the two during that period would have been a perfect fit for that angle.)

3. Because like Waco said, they're simply two legends who have never stepped in the ring with one another. And unlike other dream matches that people love to fantasize about that will never happen at this point (Austin/Hogan, Rock/Michaels, Savage/Triple H, Michaels/Steamboat, Rock/Flair, Rock/Savage, Goldberg/Warrior, Goldberg/Undertaker, etc,) Taker/Sting is one that still has a chance of happening.

I just wish Sting had jumped over earlier. The match would have been a lot bigger years ago than it would be now.

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score
A lot of people would love to see it due to three reasons:

1. Because of how compatible the gimmicks of "The Phenom" Undertaker and "The Crow" Sting could be, given that they're both dark and mysterious personas (albeit in completely different ways.)

2. Because back in the day, they were the easily the most loyal man of either company they wrestled for (Undertaker in WWF, Sting in WCW) and the guy that the bosses could count on the most to never jump to the competition. (This is why if Sting had come over during the WCW Invasion storyline in 2001, a rivalry between the two during that period would have been a perfect fit for that angle.)

3. Because like Waco said, they're simply two legends who have never stepped in the ring with one another. And unlike other dream matches that people love to fantasize about that will never happen at this point (Austin/Hogan, Rock/Michaels, Savage/Triple H, Michaels/Steamboat, Rock/Flair, Rock/Savage, Goldberg/Warrior, Goldberg/Undertaker, etc,) Taker/Sting is one that still has a chance of happening.

I just wish Sting had jumped over earlier. The match would have been a lot bigger years ago than it would be now.

:mog: you got me at this one Goldberg/Warrior!? And Savage/Triple H a dream match!? Maybe in HHH nightmare!? IOF LOSING NOT ONLY MATCH BUT SOMETHING ELSE TO! :pipebomb:

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
This is why if Sting had come over during the WCW Invasion storyline in 2001, a rivalry between the two during that period would have been a perfect fit for that angle.

This is literally the greatest what-might-have-been in WWE history as far as I'm concerned. I just remember that Sting's reason for not coming was his concern with what they would do with his character. The sad thing is that Sting's basically been proved right by what happened to so many of the other guys who came in from WCW during the invasion angle.

wk

Reactions: JC4Life37

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score
I've never known Sting to be a particularly strong mic worker. In fact, he's relatively white meat on the stick and the term 'build' wouldn't amount to much if his promos lack heat.
Sting's program with Hogan worked because he was silent. He was butt-hurt about the fans, but more due to the nature of the Crow character. The character showed no allegiances as the 'beachboy' Sting was effectively ended at Bash '96.
Considering Taker doesn't speak much either, I sense a Sin Cara vs Sin Cara pointing promo or cring worthy segments from Stinger who has no clue how to do a heated promo

At Sting's peak, he was avenging a wrong and effectively all this actions did the speaking for him. All the right elements came together....anger, hurt, jealousy, betrayal all played a role during the Sting/Hogan program.