Should They Do A One Year Build With The Undertaker/John Cena?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
We all know (at least those of us who aren't short-sighted) that not only will the Undertaker one day face off with John Cena at Wrestemania, but that they're clearly saving it for the Undertaker's final match. (They've been kept apart this long for a reason, hopefully you're able to figure out why on your own.) But when it comes time to finally book that match, do you feel they should resurrect the idea of doing a year long build like they did with John Cena/The Rock and announce a year ahead of time that it'll be the match that headlines the next year's Wrestlemania?

Imagine the night after a Wrestlemania, for example, John Cena is out there giving a promo at the end of the show and then the lights go out and the Undertaker comes out and confronts Cena. After a long, cold stare into Cena's eyes without saying anything, he points towards the Wrestlemania sign and gives a short speech about how he wants Cena for Wrestlemania next year and how he intends for it to be his "last ride" (the Undertaker's last ride, that is... I've always believed the way Taker's final match should be promoted is him announcing that it's his final match and handpicking the last great opponent that he wants to do battle with.)

Yay? Or is it still too soon to do the "one year hype" thing again?

Reactions: edge4ever

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Meh, I don't see how it adds to hyping up Mania really. Alternatively, while staying with the idea of a long build, why not have anUndertaker and Cena stare down in the Rumble and one eliminates the other? It's much more 'organic' and natural than one just randomly challenging the other. Anyone I think Cena will get the last shot at WM32 in Texas, leaving WM31 for Wyatt probably.

I hated this year's start with Brock. Still don't understand kayfabe why Taker would be bothered. I thought what they did well with the HHH/HBK Streak matches is that they were trying to convince Taker to defend the Streak to see if they can break it. He had a reason with Punk, the Paul Bearer mocking, but Brock seemed stupid.

Last edited:

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
I think Cena/Undertaker is a big enough Mania match to warrant it. I think it will be difficult for WWE to keep the strap off Cena heading into a Mania (although, in fairness, they've done it this year and with only one world title, it's easier), but adding a title stip to the match would make it completely obvious that Cena's ending the Streak (if that's not obvious enough already).

As for it being too soon to do a year-long build again, it's not like doing an invasion angle where doing it over and over in a short period. By definition, a one-year build takes a year, so, while I wouldn't think they could/should do it every year, doing it every two or three for huge matches like this one is completely fine.

wk

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
We all know (at least those of us who aren't short-sighted) that not only will the Undertaker one day face off with John Cena at Wrestemania, but that they're clearly saving it for the Undertaker's final match. (They've been kept apart this long for a reason, hopefully you're able to figure out why on your own.) But when it comes time to finally book that match, do you feel they should resurrect the idea of doing a year long build like they did with John Cena/The Rock and announce a year ahead of time that it'll be the match that headlines the next year's Wrestlemania?

Imagine the night after a Wrestlemania, for example, John Cena is out there giving a promo at the end of the show and then the lights go out and the Undertaker comes out and confronts Cena. After a long, cold stare into Cena's eyes without saying anything, he points towards the Wrestlemania sign and gives a short speech about how he wants Cena for Wrestlemania next year and how he intends for it to be his "last ride" (the Undertaker's last ride, that is... I've always believed the way Taker's final match should be promoted is him announcing that it's his final match and handpicking the last great opponent that he wants to do battle with.)

I actually like this angle. However, I feel it is too soon to do the 1 year hype type of thing. Not to discredit Taker as he's big enough for this to happen, but because The Rock just did this at Mania 28 with Cena and did this with Punk at the Rumble (although this was a shorter time frame); I feel it's too soon to do it again. What they could do, and this is just a thought, is have Taker come back at Summerslam this year. Cena wins a big match and is peaking again....and then, bam! Lights out....a bunch of things are shown on the screen about the streak and Cena's career in general... and then it cuts off....Summerslam goes off the air an Cena is confused. Then at the next PPV a similar video is played....eventually, at some point, Taker will emerge and Tombstone Cena and then issue the challenge.

Reactions: TheArabHammer

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score

Pointing toward what WrestleMania sign? Undertaker would look like an idiot when people watch it back (on DVD or whatever) that he was pointing at the previous year's WrestleMania sign. Vince's micromanaging mind wouldn't allow that.
Now that I'm done being a dou***, I'm not in favor unless Undertaker was using another persona of his. For a year long build, it would have to be more personal (in my eyes). For his last match, this would be far less Dead Man for it to work best.
If it's Dead Man, the Survivor Series would be a great place to begin the feud (the same PPV where Undertaker [1990] debuted and the heel John Cena [2003] retired)

If it's ABA/Big Evil, then do a year long build that gives the younger audience a fresher glimpse of the Undertaker as a competitor and as a person.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'd pass on a one-year build, it's just too long. When you do something like that, you fall into some issues. For example, you can't put the guy in the title picture then since him winning it wouldn't be believable (and would hurt the match, since Taker isn't winning the belt) so you'll have him work filler feuds for a while like that crap with Kane before WM28. And you remember the first few months after the Rock/Cena match was announced, it just felt like they were getting us hyped for a match that was so far away in the distant future that.... what was the point, really?

But it does need more than just the traditional "Alrighty, it's March... lets dust off Undertaker and put him on Raw with his opponent..." build. Even starting at the Rumble would be a nice touch... Maybe you can have Undertaker IN the Rumble, and he takes out Cena and himself because Taker doesn't feel like his Streak is validated without a win over Cena?

Reactions: Muur and Wacokid27

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
They can build up that match for 5 year's for all i care. I wont be watching... Hopefully Undertaker decides to give it up before WWE pounces on that match idea.

I haven't watched a Cena match for 5 year's and i'm not starting now.

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score

no! the only one I see doing a 1 year build would be Sting for a WM which still think will never have been! If Cena that should do it the way there do with other WM opperents!

Super Saiyan Goku

Reaction score
Meh, I don't see how it adds to hyping up Mania really. Alternatively, while staying with the idea of a long build, why not have anUndertaker and Cena stare down in the Rumble and one eliminates the other? It's much more 'organic' and natural than one just randomly challenging the other. Anyone I think Cena will get the last shot at WM32 in Texas, leaving WM31 for Wyatt probably.

I hated this year's start with Brock. Still don't understand kayfabe why Taker would be bothered. I thought what they did well with the HHH/HBK Streak matches is that they were trying to convince Taker to defend the Streak to see if they can break it. He had a reason with Punk, the Paul Bearer mocking, but Brock seemed stupid.

not really if remember CM Punk earn the right to feud with Taker when he won a 4 way on Raw which I was there in Buffalo NY! It was not until after that Raw Paul Bearer die and then next week that did though whole think with Punk disrespect Paul. I really would have like to know what that would have done if Paul had not die shortly after that Raw I win to?

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
no! the only one I see doing a 1 year build would be Sting for a WM which still think will never have been! If Cena that should do it the way there do with other WM opperents!

Taker/Sting isn't worthy of a one year build and hype imo. They really shouldn't waste the idea of hyping a match for that long on guys who are BOTH part-time attractions (this is what Sting would be if he returned as he obviously wouldn't want to work a full schedule, and he's openly stated in interviews before that only on those conditions would he ever sign with WWE.) I'm apathetic whether that match even occurs, honestly.

F.R.I.E

Save_Us Frie.2.J
Reaction score
Considering that Taker would most likely not spend a year on the road, it would make the feud pretty boring. Also, what would be the center of the feud. The streak, the Cena legacy, someone's career on the line? Plus, would they attack each other? Would someone turn heel? I don't find this to be a year long build.

Reactions: Butters!

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Considering that Taker would most likely not spend a year on the road, it would make the feud pretty boring. Also, what would be the center of the feud. The streak, the Cena legacy, someone's career on the line? Plus, would they attack each other? Would someone turn heel? I don't find this to be a year long build.

The fact that it would be Taker's final match (I'm 100% certain as stated before that they're intentionally putting off a match with Cena until Taker retires) and the fact that Cena would be his greatest opponent (in kayfabe terms, as far as who is the most likely to end the streak goes) yet.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
First of all, fantastic thread. As soon as I saw this thread title I was thinking about it for a while. Now to answer it.

No. I wouldn't want to see this. I want the shock value of the announcement that Cena wants Taker or Taker wanst Cena. I don't want to wait a whole year because I found the year-long build actually made my interest in the final match deteriorate over time with Cena and Rock. I want it to be announced and then have intense week-after-week build between the two before Wrestlemania, so we can go into the PPV with the utmost of anticipation and excitement.

Reactions: Majour

Brad.

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
not really if remember CM Punk earn the right to feud with Taker when he won a 4 way on Raw which I was there in Buffalo NY! It was not until after that Raw Paul Bearer die and then next week that did though whole think with Punk disrespect Paul. I really would have like to know what that would have done if Paul had not die shortly after that Raw I win to?

Sorry. you're right. I made a mistake.