• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'm a lyricist too, and I find most of Kurt's lyrics quite good (and some of Billie Joe's old stuff too). AND I'm a bass player, and both Krist Novoselic and Mike Dirnt of Green Day are influences. I mean, OK, a talented guitarist Billie Joe ISN'T; but the other two...? Forget about it. If you only know the band post-American Idiot, the assumption that they're mediocre is valid. If you know their older stuff, however...

[youtube]p9Y-r-rs9W8[/youtube]

Listen to the bass and drums on that and tell me they're not talented.

About Tool...IDK. They just always seemed like the ultimate hipster band. Every single person who's ever gushed to me about Tool was a musical elitist and/or a hipster.Apart from maybe one. I guess they're just not my cup of tea. I need choruses/hooks to keep me interested, I'll admit. I'm very mainstream that way.

Tool is the perfect band to get high and listen to. Stoner music at it's finest. Never been a fan of Green Day, save for maybe one song, even though that song has been overused in almost every teen/college oriented flick that I find it annoying now.

Now, as for Nirvana. They have always been the type of band that seemed to hold what they said dear. That, and if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have The Foo Fighter's. Just sayin'. 8D

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
THANK YOU!

Tool is "pretentious"? You do know what that word means, right? Quite honestly, they're arguably the most diverse and talented band of the past 20 years. Disliking their music is one thing, but claiming they aren't even a good band is just wrong. And that's NOT an opinion, that's a straight-up FACT. Quit posting nonsense.

Tool is our Pink Floyd.

"Pretentious" means "self-important". Tool always struck me as "look at us, we don't need no stinkin' choruses! We're EDGY! And Different!"

Just because they do something doesnt mean they are doing it to be pretentious, its just their style, as playing basic overrated music is Nirvana's style.

Pete

Reaction score
Just because they do something doesnt mean they are doing it to be pretentious, its just their style, as playing basic overrated music is Nirvana's style.

By that logic, those people who scoff at every band with more than 50 fans are not pretentious either?

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Tool has choruses. Have you ever heard their music?

Pete

Reaction score
Uh, yeah. I fell asleep after four to five songs that sounded strictly the same.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I can end this pretentious arguement real fucking quick.

Maynard is nothing like Marylin Manson, who in fact is so pretentious that he actually said(on stage durring a performance no less) he was going to beat the shit out of co-headliner Rob Zombie, because they were splitting profits 50/50 and Manson thought he deserved more(probably didnt help that most of Zombies current band, is made up of former Manson members).

Maynard appears to be down to earth atleast, I dont hear about him having a problem with other bands he decides to tour with, I have never heard any of the bands he has ever toured with have a problem with him, or any of his bands for that matter, he avoids the cameras as much as possible, and tries to live a semi-normal life(if recording/touring with 3 bands, and having a vineyard is normal).

And if we really want to talk about all this horrible music that people actually enjoyed, why are we discussing music that people can actually enjoy? did everyone forget about such shitty bands as The Backstreet Boys? Whose only purpose was to get underaged girls wet!

Pete

Reaction score
I'm sure Manson was doing that for shock value, like how when I was a teen he was rumoured to have removed a rib so he could give himself blowjobs, to have a goat's eye put in place of his own, and to kill puppies on stage (among other things).

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I hated the term grunge, and I hated the explosion of this sub genre. But I liked most of the bands, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden among others, that I can't really name off the top of my head because it's a monday and I had a long weekend.

I like the bands, thats all that matters to me, some people don't like them, thats ok, I won't stop listening to the music I like because someone says it sucks.

Reactions: 1 person

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Uh, yeah. I fell asleep after four to five songs that sounded strictly the same.
Well I'm just saying, because even from a guy that claims to give an objective opinion about their music, someone who allegedly attended one of their concerts despite the fact he doesn't like their music, you sure don't sound like you know a whole lot about their music or are even aware of the level of skill required to write that type of material. Especially when you seem pretty keen on the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus writing style that anyone can make. Saying you're not a fan of something is one thing because it can't be argued and it's strictly a matter of taste. But saying they aren't talented, inspiring, or as good as most people claim is just not true.

And the whole "I went to their concert despite the fact I dislike their music" part is just something I don't believe, sorry. Even if you got the tickets for free. If someone gave me free tickets to Nickelback, I would just throw them in the fucking garbage. Why would anyone waste their time and attend something they know they wouldn't like? I know a lot of those Smashing Pumpkins fans enjoyed being miserable, but that's a lot of effort for anyone to go through just to NOT enjoy something.

Last edited:

Pete

Reaction score
Well I'm just saying, because even from a guy that claims to give an objective opinion about their music, someone who allegedly attended one of their concerts despite the fact he doesn't like their music, you sure don't sound like you know a whole lot about their music or are even aware of the level of skill required to write that type of material. Especially when you seem pretty keen on the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus writing style that anyone can make. Saying you're not a fan of something is one thing because it can't be argued and it's strictly a matter of taste. But saying they aren't talented, inspiring, or as good as most people claim is just not true.

And the whole "I went to their concert despite the fact I dislike their music" part is just something I don't believe, sorry. Even if you got the tickets for free. If someone gave me free tickets to Nickelback, I would just throw them in the fucking garbage. Why would anyone waste their time and attend something they know they wouldn't like? I know a lot of those Smashing Pumpkins fans enjoyed being miserable, but that's a lot of effort for anyone to go through just to NOT enjoy something.

I saw them at a festival. Me and my friend were there to see Metallica (I believe they were the headliner that year). Before the Tool set, I suggested we go get food or something. He stated he wanted to watch their set, so I decided to give them a chance. That's how I ended up staying for about five songs. At one point I told my friend I was going to go and we'd meet up later for 'Tallica. I found a bench (this was in an open-space area), sat down, and next thing I knew I had taken a nap.

So that's how I ended up 'seeing' Tool. As far as your point about me not being interested in their music, it's absolutely accurate. That was the last time I tried to give them a chance. From then on I knew they weren't for me. Doesn't mean I don't find the Tool dicksucking that's been going on for the last 10+ years absolutely ridiculous.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Yes, but that's YOUR opinion. But to say they aren't talented is probably the most inaccurate thing you can say. I don't think I've ever seen a band with much talent before. Their music may not be inspiring to some, but it's some of the best I've listened to.

Pete

Reaction score
Never said they were untalented, just overrated (they ARE, the way some people ride their dicks) and unappealing (TO ME at least). Certainly are good musicians, but maybe think a bit too much of themselves for it.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Never said they were untalented, just overrated (they ARE, the way some people ride their dicks) and unappealing (TO ME at least). Certainly are good musicians, but maybe think a bit too much of themselves for it.

I don't think I've ever heard any talks of them thinking highly of themselves. Where do you get your facts?

As RRS said, the band members of Tool are very down to earth, despite their devoted fans they dont talk themselves up, Tools fans talk them up and there's nothing wrong with that, but its not Tool being pretentious or arrogant.

You sure it wasn't just the one song? Some of their songs especially live are incredibly long, personally I can tell every riff, every beat, every one of Maynards complex/thought provoking/deep lyrics apart.