People Actually Thought This Was "Good"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Pete

Reaction score
Nirvana ARE overrated beyond disbelief but already they did two or three alright songs and some people mad enough to claim they pioneer a genre that didn't exist. There is nothing to support a claim that Nirvana are good musically, they had a few *hits* but their music utter toosh outside those hits and it was clear all about the image or Kurt Cobain being off his rocker to write those shitty ass riffs and lyrics.

Sorry Pete, but when you actually begin to get pubes, you'll learn Nirvana are jokez.

Also, can please try not getting into some debate over Metal sub-genreing; never ends well.

Probably have more pubes than you. Also, like Nevermind as much at 27 as I did when I got it when I was 10. I bet you're one of those guys who thinks simple music sucks because it's simple. Go listen to your overrated Tool and Opeth and Dream Theater - I ain't bashing on those bands.

Nirvana were pioneers of nothing (Temple Of The Dog and the Melvins invented grunge, and Soundgarden and Mudhoney were around before Nirvana, too), but Cobain was a visionary. People just can't deal with that fact for some reason.

/fanboy rant (for now). But this line of arguing really REALLY pisses me off.

Pete

Reaction score
One hit wonder? I'd say the opposite to be honest; they were pretty damn huge.

And it wasn't necessarily that Cobain couldn't handle success, but rather that he didn't want the success.

EXACTLY. THANK YOU. He never MEANT for Nirvana to get big. They just did, and he hated every second of it.

They weren't about "an image". They weren't prefabricated. And they never wanted to be big. They were therapy for Kurt Cobain, more than anything. The rest just came about by accident.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I have loling at all of this. To say Nirvana sucked is to say lyrics don't matter. They had some of the best lyrics, and I don't get the hate on Shinedown or Breaking Benjamin, both are good bands in my opinion. Shinedown has some really great songs. Regardless, it's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

Pete

Reaction score
They had a deletorious impact on music. This is who they directly influenced:

Seether
Creed
Breaking Benjamin
Shinedown
Hinder

Nothing Nirvana did was ever "good." Sloppy musicianship, and the only reason Cobain is venerated as a saint is because Rolling Stone and Spin magazine decided that he was the "voice of a generation." :rolleyes:

Except I don't read those hipster rags, and I agree with him being the voice of our generation. And I have done for 17 years, even since I found out about them.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
One-hit wonder? Are you guys high, or have you never heard any other songs from them? That's it, isn't it? You're the typical person who can't name a second Nirvana song beyond Spirit.

As for the second point...I'm not going to start arguing it here because there's a hell of a lot to it. Let's just say I don't think Kurt killed himself at all, and neither was he a pussy.

That bolded line is what I am talking about. Mot people can only name the one Nirvana song, and that is the definition of one hit wonder; a band who only have one song known by the majority of people, one mainstream hit.

Alot of Nivanas legacy is because Kurt killed himself as well, if he was till alive people would have realized they were a mediocre barely talented band. But in death (even suicide) Kurt becomes an icon.

EXACTLY. THANK YOU. He never MEANT for Nirvana to get big. They just did, and he hated every second of it.

They weren't about "an image". They weren't prefabricated. And they never wanted to be big. They were therapy for Kurt Cobain, more than anything. The rest just came about by accident.

Isn't that him not being able to handle success? If he hated success then he couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle being rich, famous and beloved for playing mediocre music and took the cowardly way out to escape his [sarcasm]horrible[/sarcasm] existence of success.

And calling Tool overrated.... :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Pete

Reaction score
Well, most people can only name one Ramones song too. Or Green Day. Or Metallica. Are all those, by your definition, one-hit wonders? Because in that case 90% of all bands are one-hit wonders, as 95% of the population only listens to the radio, and barely buys any records.

And I know if I was famous, it would make me EXTREMELY antsy. I hate being in the spotlight. I'm not saying I would dislike it, but I wouldn't be comfortable. Maybe that's how Kurt felt, too.

Also, Courtney Love killed him. /conspiracy theory.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Probably have more pubes than you. Also, like Nevermind as much at 27 as I did when I got it when I was 10. I bet you're one of those guys who thinks simple music sucks because it's simple. Go listen to your overrated Tool and Opeth and Dream Theater - I ain't bashing on those bands.

Nirvana were pioneers of nothing (Temple Of The Dog and the Melvins invented grunge, and Soundgarden and Mudhoney were around before Nirvana, too), but Cobain was a visionary. People just can't deal with that fact for some reason.

/fanboy rant (for now). But this line of arguing really REALLY pisses me off.

Opeth blow bawls beyond belief... Simple Music Sucks? Explain simple music?

And your 27? You jump and down like your a 12 year old sometimes. Everyone labels Nirvana the pioneers, the people who brought grunge to the forefront; I've still yet to see any fanboy explain what makes Nirvana a 'good' band? Simple as, there's many reasons Tool and Dream Theater are good bands, none for Nirvana; ironic you call two bands overrated then you got people chacking off over a crackheads noise band.

As for what I listen to, I listen to EVERYTHING, quite literally, what ever takes my mood.

Pete

Reaction score
Simple music - you know, simple riffs and verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-chorus structures. Three to five minute songs. You know...simple. I have a LOT of elitist friends and they seem to think bands who perform simple music (Nirvana, Ramones, Green Day, AC/DC, etc etc) are not worth their time. It kind of annoys me.

Why are Nirvana good? They write good rock riffs. They write decent lyrics. Their cover songs are awesome. They are good songwriters. They are talented musicians (Kurt is actually the least talented among them). They manage to be relatively heavy and still appeal to mainstream audiences. Their albums (apart from the last one) are insanely good. They're not like the Sex Pistols, who are awesome too, but who literally couldn't play...you know? Hard to explain. Above all, their music connects with me (and many people I know). And if I jump like a 12 year old (which I admit I did back there) it's because Nevermind was my first real record. I would not listen to rock music at ALL today if it wasn't for that record. So yeah...I'm a fanboy.

Also, Tool = pretentious and repetitive (I saw them in concert, could not tell one song from the next and literally - LITERALLY - FELL ASLEEP midway through).

Dream Theater = 45-minute guitar practice caught on tape.

Glad we agree on Opeth.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
That whole era of Nirvana-worship in the early 90's is seriously one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened in rock music.

Story of Nirvana

Kurt Cobain: "I really like this grunge music stuff and I want to be in a band and share it with the world!"

*people listen to his music*

*millions of people adore him and his music*

Kurt Cobain: "AWWWWW FUUUUCK MAN! I HATE MYSELF AND ALL THIS FAME! I JUST WANT TO CHILL OUT AND GET HIGH. NEVER WANTED ANY OF THIS. I HATE "SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT", IT'S THE WORST SONG EVEEEEER! COURTNEY, GET ME MY GUN!"

The End.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I do think Nirvana was completely overrated but the same can pretty much be said for any band. Kurt Cobain kind of seems like the first hipster. Refused to play with his dominant hand and he didn't want success. Smells like teen spirit came out the year I was born. Everyone has different tastes so some people hate it and some people love it. I've never heard that many songs from them aside from ones on music games and I've never felt like I had to check them out like I did Metallica or the Pixies. I feel like Nirvana would be like a Pearl Jam if Kurt never died so young. It seems dying at 27 makes people automatically assume he's in the same league as a Jim Morrison or Janis Joplin. I don't think he is but has he influenced music? Yes. Is he horrible, no but is he overrated, yes.

Pete

Reaction score
That whole era of Nirvana-worship in the early 90's is seriously one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened in rock music.

Story of Nirvana

Kurt Cobain: "I really like this grunge music stuff and I want to be in a band and share it with the world!"

*people listen to his music*

*millions of people adore him and his music*

Kurt Cobain: "AWWWWW FUUUUCK MAN! I HATE MYSELF AND ALL THIS FAME! I JUST WANT TO CHILL OUT AND GET HIGH. NEVER WANTED ANY OF THIS. I HATE "SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT", IT'S THE WORST SONG EVEEEEER! COURTNEY, GET ME MY GUN!"

Courtney: Yes, dear. *SHOOTS KURT*

The End.

And FYI most bands DO hate their hugest hit. I bet Green Day fucking loathe Wake Me Up When September Ends at this point.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Lets try to keep it cordial there's no need to take pot shots at each other personally for liking/disliking one group. If it continues to take that approach the thread will be closed.

Now to the one hit wonder argument they have four songs that hit #1 on the charts the song that the OP included is actually a number one. And yes many bands are overrated and though I like Nirvana they are also overrated so are the Beatles. Has Nirvana influenced many musicians of course they have no is that a direct result of the people before nirvana? Well if thats the argument then the only person who's actually worth a damn is the first cave man to put a string on a stick because he influenced everyone after him.

People like bluegrass and I don't hate on them.

People thought NSync was good not hating on them either.

It is what it is.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score

He didn't want success, but he filmed videos, played live on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards, did every press junket available to the band, and signed lucrative contracts to make his music accessible to mainstream, Billboard radio stations. I'd say he wanted to become big, just as much as he "accidentally" sold out and got rich real quick.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Courtney: Yes, dear. *SHOOTS KURT*

The End.

And FYI most bands DO hate their hugest hit. I bet Green Day fucking loathe Wake Me Up When September Ends at this point.

Green Day should loathe themselves for being 40 year old men who dress like 15 year olds and play awful, whiny music.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
You should all loathe yourselves for looking like goofs. To argue over music is something I like to call Blue. Why, you may ask? Because music taste is opinion based. So yes, people enjoyed/still do enjoy Nirvana, solely because their music was usually believed to be that of being anti-famous and anti-government and shit. A ton of people LOVED that shit back in the day. To be quite honest, Nirvana has some of the best lyrics out there.

I'm not taking one side here, and I'm going to prove it right now by calling Pete out on the Tool and Dream Theater stuff. Both of those bands are great, to say otherwise is your opinion, but to use what you find them as repetitive and shit as your argument against them honestly makes your argument null and void. Music is opinion based people, enough with these petty arguments, and I honestly despise the OP for posting this bullshit thread. All this ever leads to is an argument, because the OP probably knew there were Nirvana fans, and probably just wanted to get a rise out of people. So I'd honestly recommend a Staff member to lock this shit before it gets more out of hand.

In words of a wise man... "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."