Orton Criticizes WWE Roster Depth

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
In the latest edition of WWE Magazine, Randy Orton claims that it's inevitable for him to win more Championships this year as WWE's roster lacks depth. Orton had the following to say:

"I've got many years left on my contract. I'm not going anywhere. In terms of titles, championships runs and winning Rumbles, that's inevitable. That's going to come. I'll win that championship fifteen more times!

There's not many guys in the locker room right now that I haven't worked with or that I feel I can have that big WrestleMania match with. Who have I not worked with that's anybody? Up-and-comers are being groomed to be the next top star, but will they ever get to where I've got?"

Seems like a bit of a douchebag but he does a speak a bit of truth. But, I'm sure many can put on a good feud with him and outdo him and his boring voice even if they're not big stars. Look at Barrett.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Sadly he's right on the money. I like comments like these because it sounds like Orton really does want the best for the roster and to be able to have big Wrestlemania level matches with the stars of tomorrow.

I REALLY want to see a fued between him and Daniel Bryan, but after there aren't many other match-ups for Orton that would be fresh.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Orton spoke straight truth. There needs to be more up and comers. The depth is definitely not there. You have your main event players then you have way down your mid carders. Too big of a gap to really make the Big wrestlemania matches of yesteryear. Or those big feuds that matter or mean anything.

They NEED feuds. They NEED real feuds. The one that they had with Orton, DiBiasie, and Rhodes... that was good. It was groomin them to be something big. They focused more on Ted but kinda dropped the ball there. Now Rhodes is finally getting up there.

Other than that the only feuds that mattered were between the main eventers and other main eventers. Then you have nothing but random matches.

Think Austin only needed King of the Ring to get up? Nope. He had Bret help. The feud leading to Survivor Series 96 with Bret's big return match... then you had the epic at Mania 13? Those really helped catapult Austin. FEUDS WORK! But WWE refuses to do them unless it is a main eventer. No storylines for the midcarders to help them move up. I mean closest one is Miz... but that was from winning the Money in the Bank and winning the belt.

I mean they had a real good one with Kofi and Orton. Real good. But then it was dropped. And now we see Kofi still in the same spot he was before that feud. That feud was elevating him.

WWE is shooting its ownself in the foot because they aren't allowing these guys to do anything. That is why there is a lack of depth.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Look, I can take what he said about 100 different directions.

The first thing that poped into my mind was Hulk Hogan in early '99. That in fact sounds as if that it came from the Hulkster himself. It's a simple reality that your peak years are behind you. Not saying that 32 is not still very much being in your prime, but as far as the product revolving around him, like '09, those days are over. It's the sound of a man who sees the WWE moving on, and he is resisting the role of putting the next generation "over".

Or, maybe he wants off SD. Is this some early lobbying to get back on the flagship show? SD is the land of rising tallent, where made stars are sent to put them over.

Or maybe this is still the same guy who took a shitt in a "Divas" baggage B/C surned him down. True story.

Is this a "Fake Out" to make the RR look like a foregone conclusion? Or is it saying, "Hey, I might not be winning this year but I'm not going anywhere".

Or is he saying dont put me in anymore matches with "Lesser" guys?

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
This is kayfabe guys. This is from WWE magazine, so don't really go all crazy about it. At first I was pissed off about it, but then I noticed WWE magazine. Don't get all amped up, this is just kayfabe.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
The problem with WWE is that their making it a tv show. Writers scripting everything instead of the wrestlers developing their character. When they said they were taking Wrestling out they were correct because it's not the same anymore it's very much something different.

I understand growing and changing but when you see it's not working go back to the drawing board.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
What he says is ture. WWE need a lot more stars because currently the mainevent scenes are some of the weakest they have had in the past decade. Orton has to play his role in the development of the new stars as well, same as Cena, the established names will have to lose to these up and comers in order for them to be taken as top stars.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Look, I can take what he said about 100 different directions.

The first thing that poped into my mind was Hulk Hogan in early '99. That in fact sounds as if that it came from the Hulkster himself. It's a simple reality that your peak years are behind you. Not saying that 32 is not still very much being in your prime, but as far as the product revolving around him, like '09, those days are over. It's the sound of a man who sees the WWE moving on, and he is resisting the role of putting the next generation "over".

Or, maybe he wants off SD. Is this some early lobbying to get back on the flagship show? SD is the land of rising tallent, where made stars are sent to put them over.

Or maybe this is still the same guy who took a shitt in a "Divas" baggage B/C surned him down. True story.

Is this a "Fake Out" to make the RR look like a foregone conclusion? Or is it saying, "Hey, I might not be winning this year but I'm not going anywhere".

Or is he saying dont put me in anymore matches with "Lesser" guys?

I'm not exactly sure what it is you are reading if that is what you are gathering from it. What it is saying is there is a lack of stars. Yeah his big year was '09. Thing is... he's still a top draw. Not only that he knows his time is coming up. And when that happens who is going to lead things? Who is there that he can put over? Because it isn't that he has to have every win, he doesn't have to have every title. Hell he doesn't have to have every main event. The guy lives for wrestling. He is a 3rd generation superstar... it is in his blood. He doesn't want the industry to fizzle out but the industry can't do much if there aren't any guys that can lead it in the future. You can take any sentence spoken by anybody a 1000 different directions but that doesn't mean that you are going to be right... but what you're doing is trying to put some sort of spin on it to make it look like he is only out for himself. What he is saying with those title, rumble, blah blah blah is... someone has to win them, someone has to go for them... but who is gonna step up? Someone has to step up or else... he is going to continue to step up.

What it would sound like is he wants to step down knowing that there will be someone there to continue where he left off. Look at all the injuries he's sustained, the surgeries he's had to have. He can't keep going nonstop. Who is going to take the brass ring and continue? Who is going to be the next big star? Who are going to be the next big stars? Who are going to be the future WrestleMania main eventers?

You're just looking to put him down however you can for whatever reason is what I am reading what you wrote. But then again thats just one direction I'm going in. I could go in a few more.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Something that didn't click the first time reading for me was Orton saying that he had many years left and that he wasn't going anywhere. WWE must love hearing stuff like that from arguably their number two guy. I always forget how young Orton is, he is only 31, and so he will be around for close to another decade. He can really help dictate the path that WWE take in the next five years and he can help usher in a new era.

Duke Nukem

Reaction score
I really, really hate Randy Orton. He's a good talent that should be used as an enhancer from now on. He's bitching about there being no one on his level like he's the shit. Well I say make somebody then. Man I hope he doesn't win the Royal Rumble.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
He's just saying obvious shit.

Cena's won nearly as many titles as Flair in 1/4 of the span.

It's just a sign of the times, wouldn't be surprised if he got those 15 title runs this year alone.

Chadillac

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what it is you are reading if that is what you are gathering from it. What it is saying is there is a lack of stars. Yeah his big year was '09. Thing is... he's still a top draw. Not only that he knows his time is coming up. And when that happens who is going to lead things? Who is there that he can put over? Because it isn't that he has to have every win, he doesn't have to have every title. Hell he doesn't have to have every main event. The guy lives for wrestling. He is a 3rd generation superstar... it is in his blood. He doesn't want the industry to fizzle out but the industry can't do much if there aren't any guys that can lead it in the future.

Are yu watching the same show I am? There has not been this many up and coming stars since 2005. And the whole point of working with other guys who are not as "over" as you, is to help put them over. I do agree that the WWE is pushing stars who have no business being where they are, like Bryan.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I am watching the same show and I'm looking and... man change your sig... it makes me want to punch you.

But I am watching the same show and I'm looking and there aren't that many out there that are on the brink of becoming the new main eventers. They are just... on the cusp of ... I dunno. They seem rather content where they are. Plus you don't want to risk pushing a bunch of guys. I mean WWE was doin good with it and look at what happened with Lesnar. They pushed him to the moon too quickly and had him go over a lot of top talent and looked really good and he left. WWE is going to be hesitant because they don't want to build a huge star only for him to want to walk out and if he does... no clue where he'll go. Could go to TNA and that would help them and hurt WWE. Or if he goes elsewhere then ah well. But to invest that much time in a guy only for him to leave... not good. Plus you have to look at the age of the wrestlers and all the work they do... not all of them are really worth it because their time is almost up.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
This is why I hate Randy Orton. There are a couple of guys who are better than him but he still thinks he's the best around. I mean, he has talent but he's more overrated than talented. Somebody needs to put it in his head.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has a little bit of truth. I just don't like the way he's tellin' it.

Chadillac

Reaction score
I am watching the same show and I'm looking and... man change your sig... it makes me want to punch you.

I am watching the same show and Im looking and there arent that many out there that are on the brink of becoming the new main eventers. They are just... on the cusp of ... I dunno. They seem rather content where they are. Plus you don't want to risk pushing a bunch of guys. I mean WWE was doin good with it and look at what happened with Lesnar. They pushed him to the moon too quickly and had him go over a lot of top talent and looked really good and he left. WWE is going to be hesitant because they dont want to build a huge star only for him to want to walk out and if he does... no clue where he'll go. Could go to TNA and that would help them and hurt WWE. Or if he goes elsewhere then ah well. But to invest that much time in a guy only for him to leave... not good.

I guess you can just go ahead and punch your screen B/C my sig is staying. And your post is absurd.