Official NBA Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
RE the Thunder "out running" the Spurs. No...Clippers have very fast guards and the Spurs put the brakes on them then gassed them. But I will say the Thunder-Spurs is the defacto Finals, as the West Finals have been 7 of the past ten years.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA! I said the Spurs will be able to run them a little bit... they're the only team that legitimately knows how to slow anyone down.

However, the Spurs are so fucking boring. Basketball purists love that shit because it's tremendous defense and a solid, meticulous attack... but it's unwatchable. The difference with the Spurs running the Clippers and the Thunder is that the Clippers don't have that violent mid-to-long range shot, whereas the Thunder barrage will put 30 pts up in any given quarter and leave you playing catch up. That's where the Thunder get the edge in the long run, especially with Westbrook playing the way he's playing, which is the way I said a few pages back that he'd have to play if they were going to be a threat. He's shooting with patience, letting things set on the floor around him and he's making great decisions in shooting vs. passing. I think the Spurs can take them to 7, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Thunder won in 6. No way do the Spurs not take 2 games easily though.

But like I said, the Spurs have their work cut out for them solely because of that mid-to-long range attack. If the bigs have to come from out of the paint, the Spurs are losing the rebound battle and that can't happen with the Thunder because their bigs are too solid scoring from inside contested or not.

But like I said, the Spurs can take it to game 7, and it's always anyone's ballgame when San Antonio is in game 7.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I just can't wait for this Spurs/Sonics series. It's truly going to be fun to watch. But whoever comes out of the West, whether it's San Antonio or OKC, should win the title relatively easily. Even if Miami makes it to the finals, they just aren't playing well enough to beat a team that quick, explosive, and athletic in OKC or a team in San Antonio that hasn't lost a game in over a month.

Reaction score
However, the Spurs are so fucking boring. Basketball purists love that shit because it's tremendous defense and a solid, meticulous attack... but it's unwatchable.

Not that I'm expecting you to, but you haven't been watching the Spurs this season, have you? They were the second best offensive squad this season, like third in points in the paint, first in 3point fg%, and were just fucking fun to watch. It wasn't the same old half court offense this year, the Spurs had legs and used them, used them better than the Thunder, and I'll get to this in a minute.The defense caught up to the offense at the end of the season, but nowhere near the level it was five years ago. But Kwahi Leonard will be one of the best defensive players in the next few years.

The difference with the Spurs running the Clippers and the Thunder is that the Clippers don't have that violent mid-to-long range shot, whereas the Thunder barrage will put 30 pts up in any given quarter and leave you playing catch up

The same barrage that the Spurs outraced twice this season? The same barrage that is behind the Spurs in every major offensive category except free throw percentage? The same barrage that led the league in 3 point...wait...that was the Spurs... The Spurs bench dropped 114 on the Suns and Golden State while the starters sat the last two games of the season. The Spurs have a deeper bench, better and more outside threats than OKC and so on. Spurs are ten, eleven deep. OKC isn't.

especially with Westbrook playing the way he's playing,
Ummm his numbers are nearly identical to his season averages, so, umm that's that...

because their bigs are too solid scoring from inside contested or not.

Tim Duncan outproduces Ibaka and Perkins combined offensively. Splitter and Timmy outproduce the four main bigs in OKCs rotation. Kenyon Martin and Blake Griffin> OKC's bigs offensively, and the Spurs handled them just fine.

You talk about Russell being patient. Again, I don't expect you to, but you aren't watching the Spurs this season. No team was better at making the extra pass then the Spurs. Every time the Jazz or the Clips made a run and even took the lead in some cases, the Spurs played clam, cool and collected and extinguished the spurt and went ahead by an average of 6+ points.

We can break it down like this:

Better offense: Spurs. The stats suggest so, the record suggests so. The Thunder are an incredibly close second, but second isn't first.
Better defense: Spurs. See above.
Better coach: Spurs. If you try and debate this, I hate you. :)
Better pedigree: Spurs. Track record. Again, championship teams don't blow a four game lead with 12 games to go and push their stars to the max til the end of the season. Spurs were basically on cruise control at the end of the season and absolutely dominated. 10 straight, +10 differential or better, starters averaged like 9 minutes less than the Thunder's starters last 10 games of the season.

This is homerism, but it's also backed by fact. I don't think the Thunder are going to be pushovers, but I do think you are over rating them a bit and you haven't really watched the Spurs much, if at all. Westbrook, as well as you claim he is playing, mentally broke down last year against the Mavericks, a notoriously mentally weak team. Do you think he can prevent pouting against arguably the mentally toughest team in the league? The Spurs completely removed Chris Paul from the game last night, Paul is better than Westbrook, I don't think Westbrook is this renaissance player you make him to be and he can be handled. Spurs can throw Tony Parker, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard and Manu Ginobili at him. 8 legs> 2 legs.

It's going to be a a slug fest, but it is what it is. The Spurs have the pedigree, offense, depth, coaching and mentality to beat the Thunder. Spurs in 6. Short term, the Spurs are a NOW team. The Thunder take on Miami next year in the Finals. But if the Spurs stay healthy, they win.

Even if Miami makes it to the finals, they just aren't playing well enough to beat a team that quick, explosive, and athletic in OKC or a team in San Antonio that hasn't lost a game in over a month.

They wouldn't beat the Spurs for the same reasons you cited they not being able to beat OKC. :)

I really liken the Thunder to the late 80s Pistons. They knocked on the door and almost got in but the wiley, cagey, more experienced Celts closed it fuckin shut on them. They took that experience and kicked the fuckin door down two years after that. That's how the Thunder are, just not as tough as those Pistons, who were the fucking Steelers of the NBA then.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Not entirely sure why the Lakers just drew up a play for Steve Blake over Kobe. He's no Robert Horry...

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Yeah, because the play was drawn up for Steve Blake. Did you not notice how eveyone was running away from that corner so as to clear up space for him? It was a cheeky decision, but questionable imo.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
It's a conspiracy. Durant gave up a WIDE OPEN shot at the end of the half to let Ibaka shoot 3, and they were up 3...

...The Lakers dish it to Blake (btw, Kobe contested >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blake open).

Its all to make Bron's Blue clutch gene look better... dude passed it to Battier and Battier threw it right back like, "smurf, fuck you... TAKE THE SHOT YOU BITCH!"

Stern wants Miami and LeBron to look good... for those who still believe Stern's got a mafia run over the league.

Anyways, word Enzo, I'm not arguing that the Spurs are a joke. There's just something special about this Thunder team. BTW, comparing them to the Pistons in the 80's/90's is unfair... we're talking one of the greatest defensive teams to ever step on a floor... a team that shut down Champion Bulls 2 years in a row and Chicago lucked out getting a win in both series. The Thunder are just an insanely talented offensive team. Last night showed that they're vulnerable to teams who attack at both ends with poise... which the Spurs will do... but they're still good enough to pull away with a W. It'll be a fun series either way, and the first time I'm actually looking forward to a Spurs series... ever, lol.

Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at the Heat. Time to move Bosh or Wade for depth. Either or now. A year ago I would have said no way you move Wade, but with his mental breakdowns, the fact that he's a greedy unpatriotic prick and he got away with a foul that would have gotten 95% of other players suspended. Used to be one of my favorite players, now I hate the guy.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^Yeah, that foul was atrocious, and further supports people who believe Stern is nurturing the fucking team.

Wade's trying everything he can to make LeBron take over instead of handing it out, and LeBron looks for an out with Battier, lmao.

The Heat would fare better trading LeBron though. At the end of the day, he's the cancer no matter how you look at it. Get him out and bring in the depth you want/need. LeBron has no heart at all. He's like Wilt... he'll be the greatest when it doesn't matter, but when you need him to come through for you, he'll find a way to not be there. I was hoping he'd be like Jordan and get it done once he had some people around him who could really play... but he just can't.

Indiana won't win this series, but they exposed a few wounds in Miami.

Reaction score
LBJ should have gone to Chicago. No doubt he'd have a ring right now. D Rose is that guy that will be the icer, let LBJ be the setup man. I know I didn't agree with you before, but LeBron is the greatest player in the league, he just isn't clutch and doesn't want to be clutch. I'd trade him too.

BTW, Spurs stomping a mudhole in the Clips after being down 24 and the Thunder letting the Lakers slide last night displays the gap in level of maturity between the teams. Spurs are freakin amazing. I honestly feel they can sweep all the way through the Finals. I'm not saying they will with 100% certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

And FUCK Stephen A Smith. Kool aid drinkin, chicken eatin Nope. 1.5 months ago Nope was laughing, LAUGHING, at the Spurs. And now he has eaten shit and jumped the bandwagon, "the Spurs are the best team in the NBA and no one is close. And they execute better than any team I've seen in recent memory." Good lord, I hope he is lynched.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
:lmmmao: I remember watching that episode of First Take and he was almost crying that Skip Bayless thought the Spurs would be contenders, especially when he mentioned Tiago Splitter. I will admit, I didn't think the Spurs were that special back then either, but they have definitely made believers out of me. I'd be shocked if they didn't win it all now. Look pretty invincible.

Reaction score
There has not been a team this statistically dominant in forever. The 2001 Lakers went 15-1 and the 1999 Spurs went 15-2, but the 20112 Spurs can go 16-1 but win by an average of 10+ points. They still have 9 games to go, but damn if they haven't just been the roughest fucking team in the game for the past month and a half. I really wish Rose hadn't gotten injured, it would have made an awesome Finals.

Now we could be looking at a Spurs-Celtics/76ers/Pacers Finals. It's pretty bad for Stern when the problem with his Finals ISNT the Spurs.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
lmao, can you imagine if somehow the Sixers get to the finals? That would be the lowest rated, most lopsided finals ever. What a joke. Their fans are Blue too. They acted as if they had won the NBA finals in that game 6 over Chicago, when in reality, the Bulls played AWFUL in all five games without Rose and they still struggled to beat them. They were around until the finals minutes of every game and basically gave it to the Sixers.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Even though I hate Skip Bayless, I'd have to agree with him on this. The Pacers did VERY well this season, and might end up beating the Heat, but the job Buford has done with this team is incredible.

V8TFJ.png