Official MLB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Travis40

Reaction score
I'm shocked that the Rangers are still first in the West with Rich Harden in their rotation. He is the black hole in this rotation. Hopefully all of Tanner Scheppers' AAA starts go well, and he's brought up to Arlington by the end of July, because I'm tired of Harden going 4 1/3 innings every start. On August 1st, the rotation should look like this.

Colby Lewis
CJ Wilson
Tanner Scheppers
Tommy Hunter
Scott Feldman/Derek Holland

With Josh Hamilton hitting over .300, and Vlad absolutely killing the ball, the offense looks to be steady. I'm worried about the catcher situation, with having Max Ramirez and Matt Treanor in the majors, while Jarrod Saltalamacchia stuck in AAA, hitting .330, because he can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. Taylor Teagarden was sent to AA, because he was hitting under .100 in the Majors. Overall, I just don't see the Rangers winning the division this year...

Travis40

Reaction score
Gonna bump this. But Cliff Lee was traded to the Rangers today. Initially, I wasn't happy with the deal, because the Rangers had to give up Justin Smoak and Blake Beavan, but I think this makes the Rangers a World Series contender. Basically the trade is...

Mariners get:
Justin Smoak
Blake Beavan
Josh Lueke
Matt Lawson

Rangers get:
Cliff Lee
Mark Lowe

...even if Lee decides to go elsewhere, the Rangers still have Mark Lowe controlled through 2012, and they were able to keep Tanner Scheppers, Martin Perez, Derek Holland, and Neftali Feliz. Lee is going to make his Rangers debut tomorrow night against the O's....hopefully the bullpen doesn't fuck up again :/

Enigma22

Reaction score
im just happy lee didnt go to new york. i couldnt take him and CC winning a world series the same week lebron debuts with the heat. its great for the rangers tho. they really are a legit team now that they got a real ace.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I was suprised that he got dealt to the Rangers honestly. I didn't think that his people would allow him to go down to a warm weather climate, I remember when he pitched down there earlier in the year he complained about the heat.

Travis40

Reaction score
Rangers lost 5-1.....Lee pitched really, really well. He just gave up a couple of cheap HR's that fucked him. Went complete game and didn't walk anyone :) It's been pretty hard to watch the Rangers lose 3 in a row to the O's, but it's just one series, and hopefully they'll turn things around against Boston after the break. Did anyone else see Scott Kazmir stay in the game for the Angels when they were losing 13-0? Dude gave up 13 ER's tonight....

Travis40

Reaction score
Rangers beat the Yankees in the ALCS to advance to their first ever World Series.....yuppppp

Bring on the NL Champs

straight_edge76

Reaction score
As a Yankee fan, I have to say that I am dissapointed they didn't play as well as the could have in the ALCS, but I give the Rangers credit... The outplayed the Yanks in every aspect. No doubt, and as much as a Yankees/Phillies II would have been awesome, I am looking forward to the Giants/Rangers World Series, and the Lincecum/Lee pitching dual should be great to watch.

Travis40

Reaction score
Here's my predictions

AL East - Red Sox
AL Central - Twins
AL West - Rangers
AL Wild Card - Yankees

NL East - Phillies
NL Central - Brewers
NL West - Padres
NL Wild Card - Giants

ALDS - Rangers over Yankees in 3 and Red Sox over Twins in 4
NLDS - Phillies over Giants in 5 and Brewers over Padres in 4

ALCS - Rangers over Red Sox in 6
NLCS - Brewers over Phillies in 7

World Series - Rangers over Brewers in 5

AL MVP - Josh Hamilton
NL MVP - Albert Pujols

AL Cy Young - David Price
NL Cy Young - Roy Halladay

AL ROTY - Jeremy Hellickson
NL ROTY - Dominic Brown

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Here are mine (not really realistic lol but fuck it):

AL East - Yankees (fan bias here lol)
AL Central - Twins
AL West - Rangers
AL Wild Card - Red Sox

NL East - Phillies
NL Central - Brewers
NL West - Giants
NL Wild Card - Rockies

ALDS: Twins over Red Sox in 4, Yankees over Rangers in 5
NLDS: Giants over Rockies in 4, Phillies over Brewers in 3

ALCS: Yankees over Twins in 6
NLCS:Giants over Phillies in 7

World Series: Yankees over Giants in 5

AL MVP: Joe Mauer
NL MVP: Albert Pujols

AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
NL Cy Young: Cliff Lee

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
So yeah, the season's in the home stretch, WTF? The Cubs let go of their most reliable OF earlier and are just a complete mess. Poor HTK. ):

Otherwise a really boring closing stretch for pretty much every race is all but settled, unless the Red Sox or Braves choke away the wild card leads. Also if the Angels can overtake the Rangers in the AL West.

The real big story bubbling up is the AL MVP race, where Detroit's Justin Verlander is causing a stir with his contention to be the first starting pitcher to win the award since Roger Clemens 25 years ago.

I think the stage has been set since many have won it before, and his 23 wins and under 1.00 ERA is pretty insane. The fact he plays with such great players will be his main downfall in the voting, but with his loss-stopper role as well, I think he deserves it, as well as the Cy Young. Without him and his "40 games", I don't think Detroit makes the playoffs, at least his impact would be greater than that of Miguel Cabrera for example. I say give him the MVP.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Unless Detroit knocks off either Boston or NY, I think those two will be in the ALCS, and in the NL, I think it comes down to Philly and Atlanta, with Atlanta choking again. I'll take Boston and Philly with Philly going over again. Too much pitching.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
LMAO @ the Braves and Red Sox.

Wouldn't it be some shit if the Cardinals and Rays not only made it in, but played in the World Series?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Boy, that Bryan LaHair sure is something. The Cubs actually aren't that bad, and I was expecting a train wreck coming into the season. Nice bullpen, great young talent, who knows? :) It's still early so I get to be entertained as we haven't been eliminated yet. Hooray. >_>

Watch out for the Nats in the NL, i've liked what i've seen so far from them and with the extra wild card spot they might have a chance to make some noise this year.