Official Football Discussion Thread 2012/13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniking

Reaction score
That was an awful game.

There was just no fire from any of the Arsenal whatsoever, they almost seemed content on keeping the game within a one goal margin. Only positives to take out of that game was Mannone's good performance in goal, and the consistently great away fans who didn't stop signing. Everything else was terrible.

I'm really starting to worry where the goals will come from this season. I like Giroud and Podolski, but you just can't count on them to score. Then there's our lack of width in the team, our shady defence, and our problem with injuries. I still expect us to finish fourth this season, but even still, all of our problems were really exposed today.

An actual Arsenal fan who posts with sense. Thank you and I agree with this post completely.

We played very badly and Utd were very very good. If it wasn't for their wastefulness in front of goal, as well as Mannone with some great saves (is he shit now Cork?) then the scoreline could've been very bad. I'm thankful it ended 2-1 and not 5 or 6-0 like it could've ended up.

The referee wasn't bad at all, in fact he did a good job. It's always somebody's fault when it comes to you, Cork. Every time and it's just pathetic.

Wanna know who else is pathetic? Santos. I don't recall him ever having a good game for us. We need Gibbs back BADLY!

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
When you pay £985 for a season ticket, you get to insult my opinion.

If a player plays shit, I am going to call him shit. I've put enough money into the club I support to want a competitive team full of players giving their all, I'm not going to be happy with Gervinho, Ramsey etc half arsing it every game am I you idiot?

Sick of you fair weather fans who've never been to a game trying to pot shot me about my loyalty.

Aniking

Reaction score
When you pay £985 for a season ticket, you get to insult my opinion.

If a player plays shit, I am going to call him shit. I've put enough money into the club I support to want a competitive team full of players giving their all, I'm not going to be happy with Gervinho, Ramsey etc half arsing it every game am I you idiot?

Sick of you fair weather fans who've never been to a game trying to pot shot me about my loyalty.

Oh please, don't pull out that card. You paying for a season ticket is completely irrelevant and makes your opinion no more important than mine. It's as if you're saying "You live in Australia, your opinion means nothing" which is quite ridiculous and small minded.

You called Mannone shit after he had one, maybe two games where we wasn't that great. Every other game he has done well, yet according to you he's probably still shit. In the past he hasn't been that great, but this season he has been. Gervinho has been inconsistent like always, Ramsey too, but they've had their good patches too. Does that mean they're shit? No. I think we can both agree that Santos hasn't had one good patch since we signed him, but the others have. I've put no money into the club and I too want a competitive team full of players giving their all, but one bad game doesn't make a shit player. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a TRUE idiot.

So what you're saying is you have to go to a game to be a true fan? Well I'm sorry I live over the other side of the world, and that must mean I'm clearly not loyal to my team. You can go to as many games as you like, that's not what we're questioning. It's your stupid opinions that search for excuse after excuse, and it's your lack of substance behind them as well. You said weeks ago Arsenal would smash Man Utd, but based off what? We were crushed and weren't even close to offering an even game. The ref had absolutely nothing to do with it but you blamed him anyway.

Reactions: 1 person

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ Great post.

Anyway I don't see the defeat yesterday as a disater for Arsenal, just that the performance let them down. Fact is they are a better team this season than they were last season, and there have been plenty of positives already. Its just that they are not quite ready to challenge for the title yet, but as long as they finish in the top four (which I think they will by the way), and look strong in the cups then that should be enough for Arsenal fans right now. Their in the Quater finals of one cup compulation, are likely to make the knockout stages of the CL and are in a reasonable position in the league still at an early stage. Are things really that bad? I'll answer that one no.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
You called Mannone shit after he had one, maybe two games where we wasn't that great. Every other game he has done well, yet according to you he's probably still shit. In the past he hasn't been that great, but this season he has been. Gervinho has been inconsistent like always, Ramsey too, but they've had their good patches too. Does that mean they're shit? No. I think we can both agree that Santos hasn't had one good patch since we signed him, but the others have. I've put no money into the club and I too want a competitive team full of players giving their all, but one bad game doesn't make a shit player. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a TRUE idiot.

So what you're saying is you have to go to a game to be a true fan? Well I'm sorry I live over the other side of the world, and that must mean I'm clearly not loyal to my team. You can go to as many games as you like, that's not what we're questioning. It's your stupid opinions that search for excuse after excuse, and it's your lack of substance behind them as well. You said weeks ago Arsenal would smash Man Utd, but based off what? We were crushed and weren't even close to offering an even game. The ref had absolutely nothing to do with it but you blamed him anyway.

Hurr durrrrr.

I have said in this thread Gervinho was brilliant up till the Man City game where his form fell off a cliff (which is true, no?), but feel free to ignore that to suit yr argument. Ramsey isn't good enough to play for Arsenal, he's basically to us what Joe Allen is to Liverpool. Mannone is albsolutely terrible, constantly costs us goal after goal by parrying the ball straight to opposition players, only saving grace is that Fabianski is even worse, and Martinez who played vs Reading is trash.

Also, yes, you have to go to games to be a true fan. It means I see thinks you don't while sitting in yr armchair watching highlight shows. Thus, I have a more well formed opinion of what goes on during matches, not just a compilation of Gervinho doing tricks for 30 seconds making you think he had a great game.

^ Great post.

Anyway I don't see the defeat yesterday as a disater for Arsenal, just that the performance let them down. Fact is they are a better team this season than they were last season, and there have been plenty of positives already. Its just that they are not quite ready to challenge for the title yet, but as long as they finish in the top four (which I think they will by the way), and look strong in the cups then that should be enough for Arsenal fans right now. Their in the Quater finals of one cup compulation, are likely to make the knockout stages of the CL and are in a reasonable position in the league still at an early stage. Are things really that bad? I'll answer that one no.

It could be worse, we could be Liverpool, but it's just same old Arsenal and that frustrates me. No progress is ever being made, it seems like the board want to constantly test how far back they can strip our squad of talent while still getting Europe. I am used to watching Vieira, Overmars, Henry and Fabregas, now I have to watch players like Diaby, Gervinho, Giroud and Ramsey get games for us, its frustrating how far we've regressed and if Arsenal fans are happy with that then they are stupid.

At the clubs AGM last week, Wenger said 4th place is like winning a trophy to him. Thats the saddest fucking thing I've ever heard in football, absolutely pathetic and killed me.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I see both sides of the coin really, you're geographic location may say you're not a true fan because you can't get to the games but it's not as if that can be helped. If people lived in close proximity of their club and were still armchair supporters as it's put then that's a different matter. So long as they're supporting the club through other means like buying the merchandise it's something at least.

Me personally, I could never be an armchair supporter of a Premier League club miles and miles away when I know i've got a hometown club to support no matter how good or bad they may be. I started out watching Bradford City in the old division 2 when I was a kid and saw us rise through the leagues, survive a season in the premier league and then tumble all the way back down. Call me mad but I definitely wouldn't change that to be a "supporter" of a successful club like Man United like most of the people I grew up with, even though they've never been to a game in their life. That's not a dig at anyone by the way.

As far as attending games and having a better view of players goes, i'd agree with that but even then I don't think it makes someone's opinion any more right than the next persons. I used to go watch us play every home game then go on our forum after the game and read other peoples views and it's remarkable to see such differing opinions that it makes you wonder if you were at the same game or not.

Onto Arsenal though and the big problem with them that I have is that there's no X-Factor in their forward lineup to turn a game on it's head. The midfield undoubtedly has the quality, it's just lacking upfront. Rooney, RVP, Suarez, Aguero, Tevez can all do that, I don't see anyone upfront for Arsenal who can do that. I think Giroud can come good, but he won't be a game changer. Podoloski, Gervinho and Walcott can all turn up and provide that quality but you just never know when.

Also I heard about that AGM meeting and it's depressing as hell. You'd think losing countless top players over the years that it would kick them up the arse but it hasn't, not even slightly. At this rate that might only happen by dropping out of the CL because that should then make sure that the club from top to bottom will be looked at

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, it was annoying as hell to hear "we'll be back in contention by 2014 when Financial Fair Play kicks in!". So what are these two seasons before then? Do me and 60k others pay a grand a year to hear the manager say words to the effect of "weve gave up already, gonna be going through the motions for a couple of years", if thats the case then we shouldnt be the most expensive season ticket in Europe.

I'm not a Wenger Out sort of guy solely because he has been handcuffed and there isnt anyone better available but hes just as much part of the problem as our mediocre squad or stingy board. What you said about going out the Champs League is probably the best scenario to happen.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't agree with the not going to games, makes you a bad fan argument. I've supported Manchester United all my life, 1) Because my Grandad introduced me to them when I was like 3 years old, and 2) Because I live in Manchester. I try to make as many games I can a season, but for match days at OT, it's setting you back at least 60£ +, and I doubt I could get a season ticket for less than £500. Rip on me for this if you want, but in my current situation, I really can't afford to be going every week to watch them play, when I have higher priorities right now which include my education. Not only that, but I have a student loan, and don't have a job, it's almost impossible to justify spending what money I do have on something that at the end of the day is a game. So does not affording to go to games, and having higher priorities than the games make me a bad fan? I think not. I go to as many games as possible, and I will always do my best to get good deals on tickets, when I can't, I'll follow the club on TV/steam. Call it bad if you like, but I find the going to games argument pathetic. That's like saying someone is not a true wrestling fan because they don't go to every show...

Aniking

Reaction score

All I want from this season is a trophy. I didn't think we'd be able to compete for the title, although I was hoping we would. It probably won't turn out that way, but if we win the Capital One Cup or the FA Cup then I view that as progress. I'd be happy winning one of them, and obviously if we win both I'd be stoked. Just one trophy could be the kick for bigger things.

I have said in this thread Gervinho was brilliant up till the Man City game where his form fell off a cliff (which is true, no?), but feel free to ignore that to suit yr argument. Ramsey isn't good enough to play for Arsenal, he's basically to us what Joe Allen is to Liverpool. Mannone is albsolutely terrible, constantly costs us goal after goal by parrying the ball straight to opposition players, only saving grace is that Fabianski is even worse, and Martinez who played vs Reading is trash.

Also, yes, you have to go to games to be a true fan. It means I see thinks you don't while sitting in yr armchair watching highlight shows. Thus, I have a more well formed opinion of what goes on during matches, not just a compilation of Gervinho doing tricks for 30 seconds making you think he had a great game.

That's true, his form has fallen off a cliff since the Man City game. I think we all knew he was never going to keep that going long. I had no idea you even said that, so don't even try to use that to back your argument up. You're making assumptions that I've read the post and remembered what you said. I don't live my life just to remember your opinions on players. Get over yourself.

So Martinez is trash because of one bad game? Really? This is the point I'm trying to make - you call players shit because they have a few bad games. Wilshere didn't have a good game against Man Utd, and based off your logic it clearly means he's shit. Yes he's just come back from injury, but that's your logic right there. It's ridiculous!

You could be sitting on the furthest seat at the very highest point of the stadium, watching dots move around the pitch and come onto a forum and claim "I see things you can't see watching the game on television in your armchair" for all I know. Once again you're making pathetic assumptions that because I'm watching the game on television it means I have no clue what I'm talking about and I base my opinions on players on compilation videos. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and clearly shows you have no clue what a true fan REALLY is. Saying you have to go watch games live in the flesh is ignorant.

I see both sides of the coin really, you're geographic location may say you're not a true fan because you can't get to the games but it's not as if that can be helped. If people lived in close proximity of their club and were still armchair supporters as it's put then that's a different matter. So long as they're supporting the club through other means like buying the merchandise it's something at least.

Me personally, I could never be an armchair supporter of a Premier League club miles and miles away when I know i've got a hometown club to support no matter how good or bad they may be. I started out watching Bradford City in the old division 2 when I was a kid and saw us rise through the leagues, survive a season in the premier league and then tumble all the way back down. Call me mad but I definitely wouldn't change that to be a "supporter" of a successful club like Man United like most of the people I grew up with, even though they've never been to a game in their life. That's not a dig at anyone by the way.

As far as attending games and having a better view of players goes, i'd agree with that but even then I don't think it makes someone's opinion any more right than the next persons. I used to go watch us play every home game then go on our forum after the game and read other peoples views and it's remarkable to see such differing opinions that it makes you wonder if you were at the same game or not.

Exactly, it can't be helped, but apparently that's counting against me in his flawed arguments. If I lived in London, I'd go to as many Arsenal games as I possibly could, and that's the truth. I'm not just saying that for the hell of it, I deadset would. I may not have any Arsenal merchandise, but that's not because I'm like "What's the point because I don't live there". It's because I don't have the cash to spare, but according to Cork I'm probably not a true fan if I don't spend what I have on merch or season tickets or whatever.

The problem here is the A-League isn't that great to watch at times, although it is slowly improving. I live in Western Sydney and now there's a Western Sydney team that is in it's first season. I've watched every game they've played so far, doing my best to get into the league. It's harder here when soccer/football isn't as big as it is in England, and the teams in our league would match up to the teams in League One at best. I'm too accustommed to watching as many Premier League games as I can each weekend that when I watch A-League games there are times where the quality of play is just unbearable to watch. Still, I'm doing my best, and if I do get really into it then I'd look to go to as many games as I can.

And that is spot on. Just because I can't go to games doesn't mean I have no clue what I'm talking about. Clearly Gimmick has a clue what he's talking about yet I doubt he goes to every home game, that's if he even lives in London. It's an ignorant thing to say that true fans HAVE to go to games.

Now as for Arsenal, I don't think we're a disaster yet either. We've shown that we can come back from troubling times like we did last season, but in saying that we've not been in the best form since the International Break. Lost to Norwich, lost to Schalke at home, barely got past QPR, won a game against Reading with a scoreline that suggests it wasn't a normal game, and now a loss to Man Utd that should've been a severe one. We'll turn it around, I know we will, but we won't be good enough to push for the title. Top 4 and a trophy would be a success.

But something does have to be done. I couldn't believe it when I heard Wenger compare making the Champions League to a trophy. Yes it's a great achievement to have made the Champions League for, what, the past 15 seasons, but it's not silverware. Success is measured in trophies for top teams, which we supposedly are. I like Wenger and all and I think he's done a great job, but nothing he has done has worked for some time now. Teams know the formation and the tactics we employ and know what to do to stop us, resulting in teams like Norwich picking up victories when they really shouldn't. The club has the money to hold onto players and to purchase top talent, it's just the club have such a strict wage budget (which is fine) that it cannot be budged. It means that world class players won't come to the club because a) they won't earn enough and b) won't win trophies. That's why they all leave, but the current Executives don't seem to care. They say they do, but nothing is being done about it.

In saying that, seeing the club purchase top talent like Cazorla and Podolski was awesome. Giroud is a different prospect and is yet to hit any heights, but he looked bright at times against Utd, which can't be said for most of the team. It's tougher for him to have an impact as he needs service, so if he's not getting any then he can't do anything.

Pete

Reaction score

TV? Streaming? More than one way to watch the entire game without going to the stadium...

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
All I want from this season is a trophy. I didn't think we'd be able to compete for the title, although I was hoping we would. It probably won't turn out that way, but if we win the Capital One Cup or the FA Cup then I view that as progress. I'd be happy winning one of them, and obviously if we win both I'd be stoked. Just one trophy could be the kick for bigger things.

That's true, his form has fallen off a cliff since the Man City game. I think we all knew he was never going to keep that going long. I had no idea you even said that, so don't even try to use that to back your argument up. You're making assumptions that I've read the post and remembered what you said. I don't live my life just to remember your opinions on players. Get over yourself.

So Martinez is trash because of one bad game? Really? This is the point I'm trying to make - you call players shit because they have a few bad games. Wilshere didn't have a good game against Man Utd, and based off your logic it clearly means he's shit. Yes he's just come back from injury, but that's your logic right there. It's ridiculous!

You could be sitting on the furthest seat at the very highest point of the stadium, watching dots move around the pitch and come onto a forum and claim "I see things you can't see watching the game on television in your armchair" for all I know. Once again you're making pathetic assumptions that because I'm watching the game on television it means I have no clue what I'm talking about and I base my opinions on players on compilation videos. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and clearly shows you have no clue what a true fan REALLY is. Saying you have to go watch games live in the flesh is ignorant.

Exactly, it can't be helped, but apparently that's counting against me in his flawed arguments. If I lived in London, I'd go to as many Arsenal games as I possibly could, and that's the truth. I'm not just saying that for the hell of it, I deadset would. I may not have any Arsenal merchandise, but that's not because I'm like "What's the point because I don't live there". It's because I don't have the cash to spare, but according to Cork I'm probably not a true fan if I don't spend what I have on merch or season tickets or whatever.

The problem here is the A-League isn't that great to watch at times, although it is slowly improving. I live in Western Sydney and now there's a Western Sydney team that is in it's first season. I've watched every game they've played so far, doing my best to get into the league. It's harder here when soccer/football isn't as big as it is in England, and the teams in our league would match up to the teams in League One at best. I'm too accustommed to watching as many Premier League games as I can each weekend that when I watch A-League games there are times where the quality of play is just unbearable to watch. Still, I'm doing my best, and if I do get really into it then I'd look to go to as many games as I can.

And that is spot on. Just because I can't go to games doesn't mean I have no clue what I'm talking about. Clearly Gimmick has a clue what he's talking about yet I doubt he goes to every home game, that's if he even lives in London. It's an ignorant thing to say that true fans HAVE to go to games.

Now as for Arsenal, I don't think we're a disaster yet either. We've shown that we can come back from troubling times like we did last season, but in saying that we've not been in the best form since the International Break. Lost to Norwich, lost to Schalke at home, barely got past QPR, won a game against Reading with a scoreline that suggests it wasn't a normal game, and now a loss to Man Utd that should've been a severe one. We'll turn it around, I know we will, but we won't be good enough to push for the title. Top 4 and a trophy would be a success.

But something does have to be done. I couldn't believe it when I heard Wenger compare making the Champions League to a trophy. Yes it's a great achievement to have made the Champions League for, what, the past 15 seasons, but it's not silverware. Success is measured in trophies for top teams, which we supposedly are. I like Wenger and all and I think he's done a great job, but nothing he has done has worked for some time now. Teams know the formation and the tactics we employ and know what to do to stop us, resulting in teams like Norwich picking up victories when they really shouldn't. The club has the money to hold onto players and to purchase top talent, it's just the club have such a strict wage budget (which is fine) that it cannot be budged. It means that world class players won't come to the club because a) they won't earn enough and b) won't win trophies. That's why they all leave, but the current Executives don't seem to care. They say they do, but nothing is being done about it.

In saying that, seeing the club purchase top talent like Cazorla and Podolski was awesome. Giroud is a different prospect and is yet to hit any heights, but he looked bright at times against Utd, which can't be said for most of the team. It's tougher for him to have an impact as he needs service, so if he's not getting any then he can't do anything.

I agree, its just that lack of perspective which some fans lack, to finish in the top four 15 straight seasons, constantly compete near or around the top, play some of the best club football on offer and to run a proftiable business (unlike Man Utd for example) is pretty good going. Another thing I would add is that Arsenal will come again and when the finical fair play rules come into effect things maybe very different.

Thing is Cork at the start of the season you were talking the big talk saying how Arsenal could be title contenders and the rest were useless, but sudderly you have gone from that to doom and gloom. Things were never as good as you made out, but that not as bad now either.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
To paraphrase Dale, there's both sides of the coin to look at when concerning Arsenal these days.

I've gone back numerous times before on the Arsenal's progression (and most of the time regression), but these days I'm mostly content with how Arsenal are doing things overall. Are things that good? Not at all. Over the past couple of years we've dipped in the table and have really dipped in form. Our squad is really not what it used to be and sometimes you have to wonder if Wenger is just happy with getting a comfy fourth place in the table and nothing else.

BUT, things could be worse as well. We still qualify for the Champions League every year (and think we'll do the same this season), and the club is run very well. It drives me crazy when journalists on such websites like The Guardian question and often criticize Arsene Wenger's philosophy and his desire to manage a club that is financially stable. These people will go on and on about how Wenger isn't spending more money that he doesn't really have, yet don't speak a word about Chelsea and man City's ludicrous spending and Man Utd's huge debt. To them, walking on thin ice is alright as long as you have some success in the short term.

Also, let's not forget that 7 years without a trophy isn't that long. How many years did Man Utd go without winning a trophy before Alex Ferguson came along? How about Chelsea and Man City before billionaires took them over? I'm not saying Arsenal's success will come in large doses in a few years time, I'm just saying that some people forget to look at the larger picture. And let's not forget that over the course of those 7 years we lost a Champions League Final, two League Cup finals and very nearly won the league twice. I may be looking at the glass half empty, but that's not too bad for a team that's had to stay within their means and compete with massive clubs that spend when they please.

As I said, there's two sides of the coin to look at. We're doing very well financially as a club, yet also have very high wages for some ridiculously average players. We don't have a lot to spend, yet we never spend more money than we get back. And although qualifying for the Champions League every year is very good, it's not a trophy, no matter what Wenger says.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Thats all well and good but I don't pay thousands of pounds to see a great bank balance, I want to see a great team.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
TV? Streaming? More than one way to watch the entire game without going to the stadium...

Spoken like a true armchair supporter.

Thing is Cork at the start of the season you were talking the big talk saying how Arsenal could be title contenders and the rest were useless, but sudderly you have gone from that to doom and gloom. Things were never as good as you made out, but that not as bad now either.

So I can't be positive or negative about my team now, basically thats the jist of your point.

Everyone thinks their team will do better than what is possible, its pre-season optimism.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Spoken like a true armchair supporter.

So I can't be positive or negative about my team now, basically thats the jist of your point.

Everyone thinks their team will do better than what is possible, its pre-season optimism.

Now your putting words into my mouth, you know thats not what I meant. And you generisaling, some supporters actually have realistic expections like me with Villa.

Status
Not open for further replies.