NBA Offseason Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Sounds like the guy is compared to in Kobe :p but really I wouldn't say he is overrated as there is some questions about him and how people think he'll be either a star or a bust. I personally think he'll be very similar to the guy he should be compared to in Monta Ellis possibly better.

Far as Phoenix goes glad they are prepared for life after Steve even if he does stay he's the PG for the future and will be a smooth transition.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I did a full draft recap from my blog. Hornets should trade Eric Gordon after this. The Uncommon One: The Euro Draft Pipe Bomb

Celtics (A)- Boston had two first round picks and they were spot on with the picks. They realize that they should be settled in the back court for years to come with Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley back there. Paul Pierce might have a few years left in him so its clear to get big man. They get Jared Sullinger who won't be an all star due to restrictions in athleticism and offensive ability but he's going to be a hard nosed player. I really like this pick especially in the later part of round 1. Then they draft Fab Melo who is a project right now but Doc Rivers could bring the best out of him. I'm not crazy about the pick but Melo could really become a great center if his head is on right. Then they took another Syracuse player in Kris Joseph who is a good athlete. Joseph will be more of an energy guy off the bench with his freakish athleticism. He has serious hops but he doesn't have a good jump shot and fades out of games easily. Still a really good draft by Boston filling their needs with quality players for their bench and possible starters.

Knicks (C-)- I have been following the draft for about seven years now and other than a few top ten choices, the Knicks always seem to have limited draft picks. It was just one of those years again and they took a chance on a prospect. Kostas Papanikolaou was the pick here and I really have to question it. With possible concerns at guard position, you draft a player that plays the same position as Carmelo Anthony? I'm sure that Kostas could possibly play power forward but did you really need to take this pick? I'm not a fan of the pick but Knicks were in tough spot so I give them the benefit here. Still a very questionable pick for a team that had depth issues especially in back court.

Nets (C+) - The Brooklyn Nets have been re invented but were put in a tough spot with just 2nd round picks. They drafted Tayshawn Taylor who is a pretty intriguing pick but I'm not sure where he'll fit. They may be looking for a possible replacement in Deron which is smart but I'm starting to think Deron will stay. Taylor is a good pick here despite his inconsistent decision making and shooting. He's a playmaker that has the ability to do everything. Then with a late 2nd round pick, they took Ilkan Karaman from Turkey. I'm not familiar with much international players but he's 6'9 that gives them more depth up front. Nets did a decent job here but I would have liked to see them take a shooting guard or even small forward. Gerald Wallace is on his last legs so that would have worked for me but not bad from Brooklyn (really awkward saying that)

76ers (C+) - I'm a big fan of Moe Harkless coming from St.John's which is my favorite college basketball team. This isn't a good fit for him though when you look at this team. Evan Turner and Andre Iguodala are very similar players but that does bring up the question if Iguodala would be traded? Harkless is another player that can do it all but doesn't have a consistent jump shot similar to both players. I'm not sure what the 76ers were thinking here but Harkless is a gamer that will give you production. Philadelphia traded up to get Arnett Moultire in the first round who could be a game changer. He's a bit raw offensively but he brings good size and can run the floor really well. That pick could make this draft for Philadelphia. The last pick was a Euro prospect from Georgia in Tornike Shengelia who is a 6'9 tweener. I thought Lavoy Allen was a similar player to him and he's on the 76ers as well so I'm not sure. Overall this wasn't a great draft for them but they got some players to work with that have talent.

Raptors (C-) Toronto didn't address their weak core of big men whatsoever. I'm a fan of Terence Ross but do they move DeRozan to small forward now? It was a good pick talent wise but wouldn't you want to take the chance with Drummond? He has more potential to be a superstar and could change a franchise if he works harder. Then Boston takes Quincy Acy who has shown that he's hard nosed and can play but he's undersized for a power forward. I'm not sure how he'll fit in the league but he does bring toughness to a weak team. Toronto can't go a draft without taking a European prospect but they take a Croatian which brings me joy. I don't know much about Tomislav Zubcic other than he could shoot like most Europeans and is a matchup problem with his arms. I'm still not happy with Toronto not using their picks to bring more size to a team that struggles to rebound. I know they drafted a hot shot center from Lithuania who should be good from last year but they should have done more. They didn't impress me here.

Bulls (B-) - Marquis Teague was one of my favorites around the late 1st round to early 2nd round. He plays with so much fire and got to the basket whenever he wants. This will be a helpful pick for the early part of the season but what do you do with him when Rose comes back? Chicago is a pretty deep team so they don't really have any flaws but more athleticism on the wings would be nice. Teague is going to give you good minutes though so thats why Bulls get a good grade.

Cavs (F)- It may be harsh but I'm going to be critical here. Dan Gilbert had the tools to have a productive draft but instead he blows it up all trading three picks just to get Tyler Zeller? I like Zeller but I'm not convinced his body can handle the NBA. He's pretty frail and has problems defending physical players. You can just watch him against Thomas Robinson in the elite 8 last tournament and you'll see he has issues. The fact that they traded three picks for him is insulting. The Cavs had a top five pick and it sums up the draft. I know they drafted Tristan Thompson to be their big men last year so Thomas Robinson becomes ruled out. They take Dion Waiters who was a 6th man in college. Waiters showed he can score and dribble but how can this be justified? Harrison Barnes would have been a much better pick here. Cavs were a major let down this year in the draft and will be the biggest losers from this.

Pistons (B)- This is a bit friendly but I like what the Pistons did here. Andre Drummond will come along eventually although it could be after leaving the Pistons. I'm not sure if this will be a good fit with Greg Monroe since their both very similar. If they can feed off each other, then it could make the Pistons competitive again. The 2nd round picks of Khris Middleton and Kim English will help the depth. Both comes from great schools that were in Top 25 all year in Missouri and Texas A & M. They both play hard nosed defense that Detroit sorely lacks and can hit three pointers They are good value picks in the 2nd round and it was a good draft overall by the Pistons that sorely needed it.

Pacers (C)- They only had two picks but the first one was a pretty big reach. Miles Plumlee is a perennial underachiever who never fully got it right at Duke. He'll bring more depth into their big man rotation but with Hibbert, West, and Hansbrough already there. I'm not sure if they really needed to make this pick. Indiana is a well groomed team so they didn't need to really address anything but in terms of talent, they could have done much better in the 1st round. The other pick was Orlando Johnson who I never heard of but he's a guard who is mostly a shooter that could be needed coming off the bench. Indiana had some horrible spells against the Heat when they couldn't hit three pointers.

Bucks (B) - John Henson was a really good pick here. I'm not sold on Henson as a big time player but he'll be a great role player. I would like to see him gain more weight because he's going to be pushed around in the paint area but his shot blocking ability is incredible. He's also improving his offensive game from his jump shot to post moves. He's really dedicated to improving and has a great work ethic so I think he'll come around for the Bucks. I'm not sure about the Dorion Lamb pick here though although he'll bring scoring off the bench. Lamb had some great moments at Kentucky with his scoring ability but Bucks could have used more defensive help. An athletic shooting guard or small forward would have been a great pick but the Bucks did well in the draft overall.

Hawks (C+) - They have some clear needs and I don't think they addressed them very well. John Jenkins can score but he doesn't come across to me as a guy who can start. We all know he can shoot the lights out but his defending and being undersized really hurts. I don't see him as a first rounder and it could come back to haunt Atlanta. Mike Scott will bring good size and is a nice pick for the Hawks. He could have done more in college with his talent but underperformed in big games. He'll be a nice guy to bring off the bench so I don't have a problem with that pick. Jenkins hurts the grade by a decent amount to make it just an average draft for the Hawks.

Bobcats (C-) - I'm being very generous here and could easily trash Bobcats more. Thomas Robinson would have been the ideal pick for me but Michael Kidd- Gilchrist isn't that bad. The problem is he doesn't come off to me as a star player and he'll be put in a really tough position. He can drive to the hoop and really plays hard but his jump shot is average and he doesn't come off as a guy who can take over a game. You want that with the 2nd pick and he clearly doesn't do that compared to Robinson. He reminds me of a 3rd best player on a team when it comes to a playoff team so Charlotte still has a long way to go. Then they draft Jeff Taylor who plays the same position as him which makes no sense. He's very similar as well with great defense and is pretty athletic. Charlotte has so many needs and they really didn't address them to well in the draft. Michael Jordan continues to be a massive failure in Charlotte.

Heat (B-) - Miami only had one mid round 2nd pick after trading down so they can't really be graded. They brought size in at least with Justin Hamilton although I haven't seen much of him from LSU. He underperformed in college but really did good in the workouts to merit a pick. If he can rebound and block shots, then he'll fit right in there with Miami.

Magic (B) - I would have liked to see them go after a shooting guard but with the likely trade of Dwight Howard, they'll probably get one back. Andrew Nicholson is a good value pick despite not coming from a big school. He is very underrated when it comes to post moves and rebounding. He'll be a nice asset to the Magic along with Kyle O'Quinn. He's another guy that is coming from a small school but made a big name for himself in that upset win against Missouri in the 1st round. He's a bit raw offensively but he takes so much space and always seems to get every rebound. They got some good players to work with but a guard would have been nice to see in the 2nd round considering Ryan Anderson will likely stay in Orlando.

Wizards (B+) - Bradley Beal is going to be a major player for the Wizards with John Wall. Beal is the prototypical top five pick that can do so many things from shoot, pass, and drive to the hoop. He's also a very underrated rebound and it will show in the pros. Wizards made the right pick here and nobody could complain about that. I'm not sure about the 2nd round pick of taking another guard with Tomas Satoransky. I've heard he's a major sleeper in the draft with his scoring ability and how he can really take over a game with his shooting but with Wall and Beal, where will he fit? I would have gone with a big man but still this was a great draft for Wizards.

Western conference

Mavs (B+) - Even though they didn't have a high pick, Dallas gets a high grade for making a great trade. Is Tyler Zeller that much better than Bernard James? I don't think so and James could develop into a solid center in the league. James is already 27 though since he's gone to Iraq a few times for the army but you could see how much dedication and effort he'll put into his opportunity. I think many people are rooting for him and he's a great character pick for a Dallas team that could use some positivity. Jared Cunningham was the first pick out of the trade who resembles Russell Westbrook in a way. Cunningham won't make the transition like Westbrook but he could be similar to Jason Terry with his scoring. The last pick was Jae Crowder which is questionable despite Crowder being very good in college. Crowder was a 6'5 power forward in college as crazy as it sounds. I'm not sure how he'll fit in the league but he plays so hard and makes so many plays off broken plays that he'll always play a role on a team. Dallas doesn't have any future superstars coming from this draft but they a lot of high character players that will be needed for years to come.

Rockets (B) - Houston was loaded coming into this draft with 3 first round picks. I thought they did a good job but could have done better. My problem with Houston is the worry that Lowry wants out and Goran Dragic is a free agent. I assume now that they'll re sign Dragic without taking a point guard. I'm not sure where Jeremy Lamb will fit but he has star potential and can score points in a six man role. Royce White is a tough hard nosed player that could fill a void at small forward with the loss of Chase Budinger. Terence Jones is my favorite pick out of the three because he has so much talent. It seemed like he was held back in Kentucky since their were so many stars but Jones has all the tools to be a force. His athleticism, rebounding, and inside scoring will get him far but he just needs to be more consistent with his decision making. Houston did a good job but I thought they would go for point guard or even some size.

Grizzles (C) - I'm not a fan of this pick despite Wroten's talent. I'm a big fan of Mike Conley and I think Memphis didn't need a point guard this early. They needed a shooter at the swingman position after the horrendous three point shooting in the first round.

Hornets (B+) - If they trade Eric Gordon then this draft will be better but right now its clustered. Anthony Davis was easily the first pick with no debates about it. He's one of the best defensive players I've seen coming out of a draft and has the skills to become a big time scorer in the league. He's the perfect guy to help New Orleans from the Chris Paul era. Austin Rivers is an interesting pick but the issue is that he's literally the same player as Eric Gordon. That leaves a huge mess in the back court and Rivers isn't the player that's known for passing. Rivers has a lot of potential but will go through serious growing pains. Darius Miller was the last pick and he's another shooting guard. Miller can shoot and is a very good defender but he's pretty undersized and it seems like they have too many guards. They got a high quality amount of players but Eric Gordon has to be traded to make this an effective draft.

Spurs (N/A) - The Spurs only had one pick and it was near the end of the draft. I'm not going to grade them since it was the 59th pick even though I like Marcus Demnon. I'm not sure what position he'll play in the pros but he plays with so much intensity from that Missouri system. You will get excellent defense from him and three point shooting. He'll probably end up being a shooting guard since he was never a good passer. This is a good pick though but he's a tweener right now.

Nuggets (C+) - This was a mysterious draft for Denver who went foreign on their picks. I'm not sure how Evan Fournier will fit into the team with Aaron Affalo being an effective two guard. He could be an energy guy off the bench but isn't that Andre Miller's role? Denver doesn't have many specific needs but that was a mysterious pick. Quincy Miller is an interesting pick if he can get healthy for the season. Miller showed lots of promise in Baylor but never fully got it together. He's not going to start as long as Danilo Gallinari is at small forward but he could be another quality guy off the bench. They rounded the draft with Izzet Turkyilmaz from Turkey who gives them size but remains mysterious. Denver didn't really make much of an impact in this draft to make me impressed either that or I'm totally clueless with international players.

Timberwolves (N/A)- Another team that can't get a grade because they only had a late 2nd round pick. They traded their first round pick for Chase Budinger which was questionable. Budinger is a good player but he'll never become an all star something that you can't say for the 18th pick of the draft. The Timberwolves ended up drafting Robbie Hummel who is considered to be a legend in Purdue. Hummel is a feel good story coming off two Torn ACL injuries and still managed to play well. He's undersized as a power forward and too slow as a small forward but he can bring instant offense from the bench with his shooting ability and offense. I never see him starting in the league but he can shoot for a guy his size.

Thunder (A-) - It may not work out but you have to give credit to the Thunder. They took a chance on a player who has so much star potential but fell through boards due to knee issues and work ethic problems. Perry Jones III never broke out in college but you saw flashes that he can be a star in the NBA. He's coming into a situation where he won't be called upon to produce that much at first but he can step up and take command. The situation is perfect for him and Thunder might have gotten themselves another great pick from a draft.

Blazers (A-) - Blazers drafted really well after a roller coaster year with the roster. They are going to rebuild and drafting Damian Lillard was the right decision. They can get a new point guard to run the offense and grow on the fly. Raymond Felton is on the decline and you might as well start fresh with a player of Lillard's caliber. Then Portland drafts a 7 foot 1 center in Meyers Leonard who will fit right next to LaMarcus Aldridge. Leonard won't have the same expectations as Greg Oden but he'll be expected to do what every center does then provide some offense. Leonard can do that and he can form a great duo in the paint with Aldridge. Portland's last pick is a scrappy guard in Will Barton who never broke out in Memphis but can bring instant offense off the bench. Portland may struggle this year but this draft was a great step in the right direction.

Jazz ( N/A)- Utah doesn't get a grade here because they only had a mid level 2nd round pick and I never really heard of Kevin Murphy. I'm not sure why Utah would take a power forward with the issues they have in the back court but I'm not sure what they'll find that late in the draft.

Warriors ( C+) - I'm not sure where Golden State's mindset was after Harrison Barnes. Barnes may never be the player that he was billed up to be, but he's going to make plays offensively and he'll always have his jump shot. He needs to improve on his passing and making better decisions but Barnes won't be called upon right away to be a star. Now my problems with the Warriors is that they trade for Andrew Bogut but then draft two centers in Festus Ezeil and Ognjen Kuzmic. I don't understand the logic in that although I could see drafting once center since Bogut is so injury prone. Golden State could have used a shooting guard in the draft and really missed out. Draymond Green is a nice pick and he'll bring plenty of toughness to a weak team but I see David Lee staying in Golden State for the long run. Golden State gets an average grade because the Barnes pick is going to really help them but I don't understand taking two centers in the end.

Clippers (N/A)- Another team that got a late round pick so they can't really be graded. Clippers got Furkan Almedir from Turkey who is a big man that could play both positions. With Kenyon Martin getting older, Reggie Evans being mostly useless, and DeAndre Jordan regressing it could be a nice pick.

Lakers (N/A)- They only had one pick and it was the last pick of the draft. They took Robert Sacre from Gonzaga who I really like but I'm not sure why the Lakers took him when they have Bynum. Its the last pick so most likely nothing can really come of it but I just found it odd.

Kings (A)- Sacramento only had one pick and they made it count taking Thomas Robinson. Robinson is a terrific player that is a traditional power forward. He has so many post moves and he never gives up on a play. The man is a pure work horse that hopefully can rub it off on DeMarcus Cousins. The only thing that Robinson needs to work on is simply staying within his limits. Sometimes he dribbles too much or takes a wild shot which is out of his element. He needs to stick to taking just a few dribbles to either take a hook or layup or take a jump shot. Robinson has an above average jump shot that makes him even more dynamic.

Suns (A) - They only had one pick but they really delivered on the pick. With the likely departure of Steve Nash, the Suns were left with a major need at point guard. They filled that need with arguably the most natural point guard in Kendall Marshall. Marshall is an outstanding passer that could fill the void that Nash left. He will need to fill big shoes but I expect Marshall to be one of the best rookies out of this draft. This is a great situation for him and you got to like this pick by Phoenix. I'm interested to see how much of a scorer he'll become though because he was filled with so much talent in UNC. Phoenix will need him to score more than what UNC asked him to but so I'm really intrigued.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Eric Gordon is A unrestricted FA so they can't trade him. I don't think he stays but I think that guard combo would be pretty lethal scoring wise if you put em out there at the same time.

Killswitch

Reaction score
I was stunned by Boston's back-to-back picks of Sullinger & Melo. Especially when they need another PG to play behind Rondo. Not saying either player is bad. But it's a lot to gamble on when you need help right away. I kinda am intrigued by Melo. Sullinger, not so much.

LaBrandon Aldridge

Reaction score
Eric Gordon is A unrestricted FA so they can't trade him. I don't think he stays but I think that guard combo would be pretty lethal scoring wise if you put em out there at the same time.

No, Gordon is a Restricted Free Agent. They can match any offer he receives, and they likely will. Pretty much everyone believes they drafted Rivers to play Point.

Killswitch

Reaction score
The Odom to the Clippers deal is done. Expands to 4 teams as Mo Williams decides to not opt out.

The Los Angeles Clippers acquired Lamar Odom from the Dallas Mavericks as part of a four-team trade also involving the Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets.

The Clippers sent point guard Mo Williams to the Jazz and the draft rights to Furkan Aldemir, the Clippers’ second round selection (53rd overall) in the 2012 NBA Draft to Houston while the Jazz conveyed the draft rights of Tadija Dragicevic, Utah’s second round pick (53rd overall) in the 2008 NBA Draft to Dallas.

To complete the trade, Dallas sent the draft rights of Shan Foster, the Mavericks’ second round selection (51st overall) in the 2008 NBA Draft to the Jazz with Houston sending cash considerations to Dallas.

AF.

Reaction score
Doesn't Odom suck nowadays?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Terry signs with the C's and Joe Johnson gets traded to the Nets. Pretty good addition for both teams though looks like the Celtics aren't rebuilding just yet.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Lakers making an offer to Nash now and pursuing Dwight. Nash signing up for a Lakers jersey would be good payback for the sig you made me wear Mak

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Nash already said he won't sign with L.A being old school since they are a rival. If he went back on that I'd disown him worst than I did with Amare.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I would be proud of a sig with him in that jersey next to Kobe lmao

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I just wanna see Steve Nash win a ring. He is an awesome player. My fave player.

SAL

Reaction score
I was stunned by Boston's back-to-back picks of Sullinger & Melo. Especially when they need another PG to play behind Rondo. But it's a lot to gamble on when you need help right away. I kinda am intrigued by Melo. Sullinger, not so much.

I completely disagree with everything in this post.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I would be proud of a sig with him in that jersey next to Kobe lmao
Ugh

Seems like he's giving Toronto some serious thought since they'd probably break bank for him being how big he is in Canada and all. All I know is with Kendall Marshall I won't be as sad if Steve leaves now since I really think Marshall will be an All Star player.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I completely disagree with everything in this post.
Didn't understand the concept of drafting a young point guard to play behind a all star young point guard either.