John Cena needs to evolve

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

-Constantine

Reaction score
He can't evolve yet, He needs a fire stone and needs to be atleast level 50.

Seriously though, He's boring to watch and his promos IMO suck. His comedy stuff is good, sometimes. His promos though are tacky and his in ring stuff has gotten better. He needs to incorporate more moves though.

1chiban

Reaction score
Just thinking about how they would go about a heel turn for Mr Cena. With Hulk Hogan, WCW and WWE were successful in turning him back into a face after him turning heel.

Would Cena turning heel be as easily reversible after a while?

I mean, he's the biggest merchandise seller (bar Rey) which in itself is mostly kids' stuff. If he turns 'bad', the kids won't want his merch, so it makes little financial sense to turn him heel.

Or they could turn him heel and he will become amazing like Batista did.

MC Rae

Reaction score
Nowadays I find Cena's promo's almost as embarrassing as his in-ring work. Of course, the material written for him is far from inspired but I feel his delivery has lost its egde and sometimes its believability.

In comparison to, for example, Edge's "say someeethiinggg" promo on Orton a few weeks ago which felt passionate and real, Cena's have become flat. He starts off monotone and then ends up shouting the usual 'I won't back down' spiel - I'm finding myself fast forwarding his promo's.

Fact is, we all know Cena is stuck in limbo. He's not turning heel ANYTIME soon unless from somehwere there is a face to take his place on that level. And until he turns heel I don't expect to see any significant shift in his character. Has he eveolved? Sure, but right now it feels like we've seen as much depth as this particular character can achieve.

Actually, fuck it, I'd like to see a change in attire as suggested in the first post little something like that could surprisingly keep things more fresh for John.

1chiban

Reaction score
Agreed on the attire change. He cannot go on wearing eye-burning T-shirts and denim shorts as a 30 year old man... although I guess the T-shirts sell with the kids so we stuck in the same old quandary.

His promos suck recently as well. Two points of agreement.

Axis

Reaction score
Those are catchphrases though. Those guys had brilliant, epic catchphrases and gimmick lines synonymous with their characters (THINGS THAT CARRIED OUTSIDE OF WRESTLING). That's not going through the same scenario over and over again, where you just sit and preach how you never give up and how you love the WWE universe, which works against just about ANY opponent. What talent does that take? Talent was being able to apply your catchphrases and prominent character features, which the wrestler created, into your promos and towards your opponents NO MATTER WHAT THE SCENARIO/STORYLINE. Ever wonder why the ONLY thing Cena is truly synonymous with is 'YOU CAN'T SEE ME' (with the hand gesture), which he created during his fucking rap phase. His character hasn't evolved at all, not in the regard that chessarmy tried to imply, but for the reasoning I just stated. The only thing that stuck with the fans was when his character wasn't a piece of shit.

Along with "you can't see me" there is,

"The Champion ... is ... here."

"Want some? Come get some."

Reaction score
"The champ is here." and "Come get some." were around before Cena made used them in the WWE. I wouldn't associate those two catchphrases in culture with Cena.

Axis

Reaction score
"The champ is here." and "Come get some." were around before Cena made used them in the WWE. I wouldn't associate those two catchphrases in culture with Cena.

It's not just "come get some." It's "You want some...*pause*...Come. Get. Some."

"Hell yeah" was also around before Stone Cold, but it's largely attributed to being his catchphrase.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
But no one says "If you want some *pause* come...get...some" as a blatant John Cena reference.

1chiban

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the most famous user of 'If you want some... come get some' a certain Dog-Faced Gremlin... followed by 'If you don't like me... Bite Me!'

straight_edge76

Reaction score
^Yeah, whenever he does say it I automatically think of Rick Steiner, makes me ROFL everytime. I don't know if he is the 'most famous' but that's who I think of.

soulreaper545

Reaction score
I truely don't care about looks it's the fact that his promo's are the same thing every single time

The only time i ever liked one of cena's promos was when he was a heel and talked trash on his opponent before the match. Ever since his face turn every one of his promos have been about overcoming some disadvantage.

sayntsfan

Reaction score
You keep harping on that he's 31? by today's wrestling standards he is still one of the young guys in the bizz. But I do agree that he should change his attire, just for the simple fact i dont like it... but thats my opinion, it seems to work for him so he can keep going. and you say in 10 years no one will take him seriously if he keeps wearing them? two words for ya... Mick Foley... the man never wore "proper" attire, whether it was shotty cheetah skin tights with a ratty singlet, to tye die clothing, to seedy old tracksuit pants, a white button up shirt that has never been washed a ripped tie, a terrible mask, and a sock in his pants. You dont need traditional attire to be taken seriously.

im new to this forum, but in Foley's defense he was a "Character" a majority of his career... that is truly one of the biggest down falls of wrestling, the amount of guys using there real names, they are no long seperating fiction from reality.

Gothabilly

Reaction score
Yeah but he was also had hair as "Stunning" Steve teamed with the late Flyin' Brian Pillman an the he was Million$ Man the "Ringmaster"

Onyx

Reaction score
Lets look at facts here, John Cena is a 31 year old man who comes out in jeans shorts, an orange shirt and an orange wrist band. He's only getting older, I've been waiting for the Cena character to evolve for years and we never got to see it. Randy Orton evolved, he went from a cocky young heel to a legend killer to a violent heel to a badass anti hero babyface. Ted Dibiase evolved, going from a generic Orton lackey to a "fortunate son". Edge evolved, going from an asshole to the "Rated R Superstar", he turned babyface briefly, then went back to the "Rated R Superstar" gimmick. Chris Jericho evolved, going from being a funny guy who mispronounced people's names to a very serious heel who calls everyone hypocrites.

Look here my friend, so what how old he is. The gimmick John Cena has is the gimmick that basically made him. So I think he shouldn't change at all anytime soon. Plus 31 isn't that old, so calm down my friend.