John Cena needs to evolve

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

Reaction score
Lets look at facts here, John Cena is a 31 year old man who comes out in jeans shorts, an orange shirt and an orange wrist band. He's only getting older, I've been waiting for the Cena character to evolve for years and we never got to see it. Randy Orton evolved, he went from a cocky young heel to a legend killer to a violent heel to a badass anti hero babyface. Ted Dibiase evolved, going from a generic Orton lackey to a "fortunate son". Edge evolved, going from an asshole to the "Rated R Superstar", he turned babyface briefly, then went back to the "Rated R Superstar" gimmick. Chris Jericho evolved, going from being a funny guy who mispronounced people's names to a very serious heel who calls everyone hypocrites.

As you can see, there are several names that I can come up with off the top of my head that have evolved over the years, John Cena is not one of them. He's been the same ol' guy since his debut, the ONLY thing thats changed is he doesn't rap anymore...THATS IT. The point is, with Cena now 31 years of age, its time they do something different with him. I'm not asking for a brand new gimmick, I'm just asking for his look to change. You can only wear sneakers and jeans shorts for so long, maybe its time Cena went back to wearing normal wrestling tights. Maybe its time the arm bands, the caps and the orange t-shirts go away and normal clothing take their place. Cena can't look like this forever, and just like Orton, DiBiase, Jericho, and Edge, its time that he evolves his character a little bit to get with the times.

Thoughts?

maty619

Reaction score
Maybe its time the arm bands, the caps and the orange t-shirts go away and normal clothing take their place. Cena can't look like this forever, and just like Orton, DiBiase, Jericho, and Edge, its time that he evolves his character a little bit to get with the times.

Along with like half of WWE's merchandise sales.

Why would you include DiBiase, he is a young developing superstar, unlike the other three stars you mentioned, of course he will develop his character to see what fits.

Cena will not develop his character unless someone can take his place as thee dominant babyface of the WWE and there is no one looking like taking his place, all the new talents that have been pushed have been heels.

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ I'm talking more about Cena's look than the character. Cena can't wear jeans shorts/sneakers forever, he's 31, you really think in 9 years people will still take him seriously? Its quite hard to do now tbh

maty619

Reaction score
I mentioned his looks but also mentioned his charcter just like you did with Randy, Ted and Edge, I am just following suit man. Anyway, like I said the Cena merchandise sails probably accumilate to somethink like a half or a third of the WWE's merchandise sails, they would not give that up for some 'evolution of a character, no way. Whether I think they should is another matter though, I wouldn't think that it'd make much of a difference to anything. I suppose if he started wearing tights people (like non WWE fans) might take him more seriously, I think it would work with a heel turn, just like Matt but his looks now suit what he is doing.

Reaction score
He has this look going for him, and its working. Kids flock to buy his merchandise. It's a formula that works. Stone Cold wrestled in generic black trunks, it worked for him.

Reaction score
We can see this two ways.

1: We as internet smarks want Cena to evolve to something that we find satisfactory, despite being the true minority amongst WWE fans.

2: Why change something if it isn't broken? Cena draws millions for the E and is probably one of only two or three legit, proven draws (Rey is HUGGGEEEE in the latino market, Undertaker being the other) in the company. The business is in a recession and why would they take a huge risk and possibly hurt the cash cow? It's not our business, nor is anyone on the net qualified to really make that suggestion. None of us have ever made a dime running a wrestling company, let alone millions. We can complain, lament and ponder how things can improve to our standards, but that wont change anything really.

maty619

Reaction score
By that theory the majority of the posts in the wreslting section should be discarded, as most are critisizing WWE. I see exactly where you are coming from Enzo, in fact I share your opinion to some extent but this place would be boring if we didn't critisize WWE.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
He never said to not criticize the WWE, he just used basic buisness logic. Cena, like you and he said, bring so much money into the WWE in terms of drawability, and merchendise sales that taking that away would be borderline buisness-suicide. Cena wont be changed drasitcally for awhile, not until another Cena-esque character comes up, and honestly I do not think he is currently employed by the WWE at this time.

maty619

Reaction score
Sorry, just had an English exam so I've got used to changing the words that are said :p, he said we can complain but that won't change anything so...

Off topic but kinda links in with this, do you think if Rey loses at OTL WWE will lose merchandise sails, lets face it, who wants a mask that says SES on it?

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I'd buy A mask that says SES on it lol.

Honestly, I don't think they would suffer THAT much, Rey wouldn't voluntarily join, he would be there with not choice in the matter, almost like a slave if you will. Besides I seriously doubt that anything could be done to effect Rey's overness with he fans tbh.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Cena has to turn heel eventually. If not then the WWE is gonna be missing out on something HUGE. Cena as a heel wearing wrestling tights and not sucking the fans assholes every night would be amazing. Throughout history every top guy has had at least one heel turn and theyve all been pretty sucessful. Austin, Taker, Rock, HHH, Batista, Jericho, Hogan, Edge..the list goes on and on. The only evolution that there is left for Cena is a major heel turn, and it is getting to the point where when it finally does happen it is gonna be EPIC. Like Hogan status. They better eventually pull the trigger and do this regardless of whether or not their sacrificing their precious fucking merchandise profit.

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
I don't know what age has to do with it. Pro wrestling is weird when it comes to age. The first DX reunion in 2006 saw a 41 year old HBK and a 37 year old HHH making fart jokes and staring at Coach in a thong.

maty619

Reaction score
I think they are keeping the Cena heel turn as a desperation move, I suppose if they pushed Rey to Cena's status then it could be possible, but like I said I think they will use that if it is desperately needed to spark like into the WWE. I don't think this will happen though due to the lack of over faces in the company. I think the Edge face turn could have been a tester, I expect another huge face turn so WWE can see who can cope in Cena's shoes so they don't go all in before they know they can follow it up if that makes any sense.

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
^^^I yearn, YEARN, for the day John Cena comes out and tells the kids to "stick it" a la Hulk Hogan in 1996! He was such a bad ass heel in 2003 mocking Undie, Guerrero, Lesnar, Angle, in some funny and really scathing raps. Imagine him walking out in a suit or just jeans and a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up, sneering at the fans!