Jerry Lawler Discussion Thread - King recovering from heart attack

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
RE: Lawler to undergo heart surgery today

Uncle Saddam said:
Wonder how well Lawler will recover.

If he does. Just because he's stable it doesn't mean he will recover. Not to be negative or anything, just sprinkling some realism on this horrific story. I hope he does recover though.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Lawler to undergo heart surgery today

Yes I am very well aware that he might not recover at all. But I am holding on to #TeamOptimism

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
RE: Jerry Lawler

I hope King gets better, but yeah, this is a sign that he shouldn't wrestle as often as he does in his age.

He was working in Aruba huh. :hmm:

Stopspot

Reaction score
Jerry Lawler

If they were performing CPR on him it means he flatlined. Not a good sign.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
RE: Please Vince dont use Jerry's heart attack in a storyline

I don't think they'll use it, Jerry and Vince are buddies.

BrockLesnarFanForLife

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Remember Vince is the guy who created sick storylines like the Katie Vick and having HHH bang a dummy on live Raw so anythings possible with him making this heart attack in a storyline

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score

I know, but I still don't think he'll use this.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Please Vince dont use Jerry's heart attack in a storyline

BrockLesnarFanForLife said:
Remember Vince is the guy who created sick storylines like the Katie Vick and having HHH bang a dummy on live Raw so anythings possible with him making this heart attack in a storyline

Vince doesn't involve his friends. Lawler is one of the few he has. Vince waited at the hospital all night reportedly.

Lacky

Champion
Reaction score

BrockLesnarFanForLife said:

I can assure you. Jerry Lawler's heart attack will not be in any storyline.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Update on Lawler's surgery, ex-wife comments

Stacy Carter, ex-wife of legendary Memphis professional wrestler Jerry Lawler, announced Tuesday via Twitter that Lawler underwent heart surgery Tuesday morning and is under sedation after suffering a heart attack while commentating on WWE's "Monday Night Raw" in Montreal.

A stent and balloon were placed in Lawler's heart, according to Carter, in an angioplastic surgery typically performed to treat obstructed vessels and arteries.

In a release, the WWE said late Tuesday morning that Lawler was in a cardiac care unit in stable condition.

The WWE also said, "We are hopeful Jerry makes a full recovery and returns to WWE in the near future. Our thoughts are with Jerry and his family."

Lawler, who is 62 and began his wrestling career in 1970, had participated in a tag-team match earlier in the program Monday and then returned to his broadcast position. During a subsequent match, Lawler collapsed and was rushed to the backstage area where medical staff attended to him. He later was taken by ambulance to a Montreal hospital.

Announcer Michael Cole later said that Lawler was receiving oxygen but breathing on his own en route to the hospital.

As the show went off the air, Cole said in an update that Lawler was "breathing on his own and his heart is beating on its own" as hospital personnel prepared to run tests. He said Lawler's condition had "stabilized."

No one could be reached at Lawler's Memphis home or on his cell phone.

source

Reaction score

Here's some info on the procedure done:

http://www.scai.org/SecondsCount/Resources/Detail.aspx?cid=78b8455f-d671-490e-b27b-851372a1529c&gclid=CMDUqpL-rbICFeERNAodemgANQ#.UE9r-1EZ79V

What Lawler had done is what is typically called an angioplasty, which is a much less invasive procedure than a bypass. The balloon opens up the artery and the stent (which works like a filter so to speak) keeps the artery open and also helps prevent any further blockage to that artery. My dad's had both a bypass and angioplasty done and I can say from experience, the angioplasty is a minor procedure in comparison to the bypass as they normally only have to make a small incision in the groin area as opposed to the large incision on the chest. My dad was in the hospital for about 2 days after the procedure. Of course my dad didn't ever stop breathing or need CPR neither, so in Jerry Lawler's case they'd likely keep him a lot longer for further evaluation.

The bigger concern would be damage to his brain from the lose of oxygen. Reading this thread last night, I see there's at least one instance of a man being "clinically dead" for over an hour and being virtually normal afterwards, so hopefully in King's case him allegedly being "clinically dead" for 20 minutes won't be an issue. But everyone's body is different. At this point though, I think it's a very good sign that all he needed done was angioplasty as opposed to a bypass and hopefully he will pull through with no after effects.

Reactions: Zach

Zach

Emma Watson ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score

Heart bypass surgery is seriously dangerous.