General Tennis Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Surely it couldn't be as bad as our PM, Julia Gillard, when Stosur won the US Open in 2010. She called her up and opened with "I didn't watch any of the game but well done." Nice to know that she didn't even care enough to watch even part of the match but was happy to milk it and say that she had called her to congratulate her.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Sam Stosur picked up her fourth WTA title and her first in two year's (her last was her US Open win in 2011). For a player like Stosur who has been entrenched in the top ten for so many years she should have so many more than four titles but unfortunately she is 4-12 in Finals. Still good to see her win and beat Azarenka who she has always struggled against.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
BBC said:
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli is retiring from tennis just 40 days after winning her only Grand Slam title.
The 28-year-old Frenchwoman, ranked seventh in the world, said she was taking the decision with immediate effect because of persistent injuries.

She made the tearful announcement at a media conference following defeat by Simona Halep at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati.

"It's time for me to retire and to call it a career," she told reporters.

"I feel it's time for me to walk away."

Bartoli, who beat Germany's Sabine Lisicki in the Wimbledon final in July, said her Achilles, shoulder, hip and lower back hurt continually when she plays.

She added: "It's never easy, but that was actually the last match of my career. I just can't do it anymore."

Surprise retirement. Good time to go though after finally breaking through and winning her first grand slam tournament. Fair call for her to go if she is injured and has to constantly play through pain, can't be fun but the $2+ million cheque from Wimbledon would make retirement easier.

Also Sam Stosur has split with her coach of six years. Not the best timing right before the US Open but for now Australia's current Fed Cup captain Alicia Molik will coach her.

US Open starts next week

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
US Open started two days ago. Great first win for Bernard Tomic, actually showed some fight which is nice especially after his horrible performance against Roddick last year. Stosur did what only Stosur can do and lost first round to a lowly ranked player. Ashleigh Barty managed to make it to the second round as well, only the second time she has done it, she lost in the second round but she has a long career ahead of her. Hewitt managed to get through to the next round as well.

Tomic has a very good chance of getting through next round since he faces a qualifier whereas Hewitt will struggle against Del Potro.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Haven't been able to watch much of the Open since each day starts at 2:30am. Tomic bombed out against a qualifier in the second. Hewitt had a strong run including beating Del Potro. Had his chances against Youzhny to make the quarter finals but gave up a 4-1 and 5-2 lead in the last. Good tournament from him. Youzhny has played well but unfortunately for him he faces Djokovic next and he has cruised through the tournament so far. Murray still on track to defend his title. Federer had a shocking game against Robredo, so many unforced errors and was rolled in three sets.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Well played Stan the Man. First ever Grand Slam semi-final for him and he gets there beating last's years champion, Murray, in three. He is up against Novak next and I think he can push him, don't expect a win but expect a four setter. They had an awesome match at the Australian Open this year so I am expecting some quality. Nadal vs. Gasquet is the other semi, can't really see Gasquet threatening him there.

On the women's side it is Serena vs. Li Na and Azarenka vs. Pennetta. Can't see Pennetta winning, this is her best surface but against Azarenka I just can't see it. Am hoping Li Na can win it but Serena just keeps on winning and it is tough to bet against her.

Happy that Barty and Dellacqua have made it to the women's doubles finals again. They are turning into quite the pairing, made the finals at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and now US Open. Only missed out at the French where they were out in the first round. Hopefully this time they can win it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Don't expect many, if any, responses but do any here follow Davis Cup tennis?

Finally Australia made it back to the World Group, been out of it for seven years and it has been a long wait to get back to the elite level. Very happy that we managed to win the tie on clay since that is our worst surface by far. Unfortunately we have drawn France away for our first tie and they have an excellent team with guys like Tsonga/Simon/Monfils/Gasquet.

The full World Group draw can be found HERE

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Australia was very lucky that Jerzy Janowicz was injured. VERY lucky.

Here's me and Djokovic just chilling :

1402395_593640937350429_633142335_o.jpg

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah hasn't been activity in this thread in a year, since then I've met Djokovic again, met Murray also etc etc

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Wow! Good for you.

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw

She should have asked Marshawn Lynch for advice.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
I know Naomi had to be loyal to her contract but health should be above all. I've gone to work many times when I was not there mentally and long term it made things worse for me.

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
c1eeeedbf5a4436e676f3824dbdcdd0b.jpg

Sad to see a legends career coming to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Serena Williams has lost in straight-sets to Elena Rybakina in the fourth round.