Flair vs hbk a showstopper?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

LKP

I know there is already a Wrestlemania thread, but I would like to see everyone's opinion on whether the Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels match will be a "legendary classic" or whether it will fail to live up to the hype.

Considering it's Flair's "Retirement Match" (and we all know he will lose), it's Wrestlemania and it's two of the most legendary wrestlers on the WWE roster, you would imagine that the match will steal the show and be a Match of the Year candidate. But is that possible?

Flair is 59 years old. He hasn't wrestled full-time for years. He's had troubles with his back and knees and I tend to get a bit bored of his constant chops, chopblocks, back body drops and eye pokes. I don't know what he's going to be able to pull off at Wrestlemania, so I assume that Shawn will be doing most of the heavy work.

Shawn on the other hand, is 42 years old. He's had so many injuries to his knee's these past few years that I can hardly count. He hasn't had a full year in WWE since 2003 without taking time off for injuries. I know he'll try and pull his usual Wrestlemania moonsaults and springboards but all it takes is for him to injure that knee of his and the match is over.

Does anyone believe these two can steal the show at Wrestlemania? Bear in mind that there's the MITB match, Edge/Taker and the Orton/Cena/HHH triple threat. I wouldn't be suprised if WWE puts this match on last.

Switchy

Reaction score
^^It definately won't be the last match, you should know how WWE are with their WWE title matches being WM ME by now. Well most likely thing is HBK is going to win and Flair is going to retire so I think Flair will wrestle like he used to knowing he won't wrestle again after that match so he has nothing to lose and HBK at WM is self explanatory, yes he does have a past of injuries but still when has that stopped him before?

No, chances are it won't be the best match of the event, or the year but if Flair loses it will still be a match that will be remembered for a long, long time so both men know they have to pull out all the stops to make it as good as it can get.

LKP

It can be awesome if booked right. I think it will be booked right. As for flair losing at wm24 its a bit obvious, if he loses so im not sure who will win the match up.

Montana

It can be awesome if booked right. I think it will be booked right. As for flair losing at wm24 its a bit obvious, if he loses so im not sure who will win the match up.

I agree. It all depends on how much time they allow. Flair may be old, but i think if they book it right, this can be match of the night. Flair won't go down without a fight, trust me.

LKP

Maybe hbk will make flair tap out to that reverse figure four hes been using lately? What a way for flair to go out if that happens.

MC Rae

Reaction score
I think it will be a great match provided its booked well. I don't think it will be the showstealer of this years Wrestlemania so to speak (it has some tough competition in my opinion) but it could well be a strong match-up, I really think the both of them are going to give it their all (especially Flair). I think this match may just suprise everyone in its quality.

The Rated R CMStar

Showstealer, but if HBK works on Flair's pace and both get their moves in, like HHH/Flair at New Year's Eve, then it could be a good match

HHHforever

Reaction score
I think it'll be a great match. Will it be the match of the night? Mehh, it'll be up there I don't think it's going to be the best match from a technical stand point, but the crowd and the atmosphere will be fantastic. However in 10 year what match will everyone remember from WM? HBK vs. Ric Flair, without question imo. Unless they pull something crazy out for the other matches, this won't be the match of the night but it will be the most memorable.

Adampro123

Reaction score
Even if the match itself isn't that good the importance of the match will make it legendary.
with that said i think the match will be very good actually because shawn michaels is the greatest of all time and i think no matter how oldflair is he and HBK can go out there and put on a good match especially by WWE standards.

Now everyone is thinking (along with myself that this will be ric flairs last match and he will lose. but you never know WWE could throw a swereve and let flair win. he could keep it going all the way to next years mania who knows really? or he could win and just retire on his own time which is what i would like to see most.

HBKforever

Reaction score
This is a stupid question....of course it will be the match of the night. Let's pretend we know who is in this match. First of all let's look at HBK's Wrestlemania track record.....Wrestlemania X, XII, XIV, 19, XX, 21, 22, and 23 he had the best match of the night. There is no reason to think that he will not be the showstopper yet again and having the best performance. That's what you do when you're the best of all time. Now let's look at Ric Flair. Is he old? yes. Has his skills diminished? yes. But remember that he is still one of the best workers and the fact that this will more than likely be his last match will without a doubt be a factor. Ric will pull out all the stops in his last match on the Wrestlemania stage, simply because he has nothing to lose. It's not like he has to take it easy so he can make Raw the next night. I fully predict that this will not only be the match of the night but quite possibly one of the best of all time.

aznality

Reaction score
I have no doubts for HBK he will perform. As for Flair, he really has to step it up. I have high hopes for this match, and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Christian

Reaction score
I personally think the only match that's better than the Flair-HBK match is the MITB. Hopefully HBK and Flair will steal the show, that'd be sick.

CenaMark54

It should be a 60 minute iron man match for old times sake. I doubt Flair could go that long though.

I think it will still be a great match. Flair is one of my all time favorites and I am confident he can deliver. I've never liked HBK, but the dude can bring it, especially in big matches. HBK will go out of his way to make sure Flair has a proper send off, so we should expect a great match.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
You can probably predict how great the match is by how long it last. If both of them are tired out after 10 minutes then it's a bust but if it's reaching 15 - 20 minutes of old school wrestling with a lil suprises then yeah it'll steal the show.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
This match will 'steal the show' for anyone who was alive to see Flair in the 80's. To anyone from this era though, this match simply cannot live up to the hype. Look at Flair, look at his current wrestling ability, and face the facts. His moveset is about as broad as BG James', except with knife-edge chops instead of lefthand jabs. He's not the same guy you 30+ people remember feuding with Sting. He looks like a strawberry gelatin dish and after 5 minutes of competing he has the color to match. This match will be of midcard quality at best. Take your respect for what he once was out of the equation and look at what he can actually bring to the table. This match should have happened 8 years ago and the only thing it will steal is your money.