Euro 2012 predictions/Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Recaps from second batch of group stage games from The Uncommon One: Euro Cup/NBA Finals Smash Part 2

Czech Republic 2 Greece 1- If you watched this game and you're not a fan or from those respective countries, I feel bad for you. I knew that I wasn't going to watch it but even the highlights were poor. The game seemed to end before it started with two goals in six minutes for the Czechs. Tomas Hubschman put in a nice through ball in to Petr Jiracek to get the early quick lead. It caught the Greeks caught off guard but it was a perfectly timed run for Jiracek. The game went 2-0 in a matter of 3 minutes after a great run by Theodor Gebre Selassie but poor goal keeping by Kostas Chalkias cost them here. Valcav Pilar somehow put it in the back of the net despite two Greeks right there to clear it out. It was a horrid start for Greece and they're an offensively challenged team to begin with. The game didn't produce much clear cut chances and Greece were forced to make a goalie change early in the first half which is never good because that's a waste on a position that should be stable for 90 minutes. The defense looked shaky through out despite not allowing another goal but their backs never really pushed. It was a disappointing performance but somehow Greece became competitive after an awful error by Petr Cech collided into one of his defenders which led to Gekas getting a cheap goal. It was one of most forgettable games of the tournament but it did put the Czechs in second to possibly get a spot in the knockout stages. In a game where few players shined, I caught some glimpses of Gebre- Selassie and he looked very bright. He was very quick on the ball making runs on the wing and gave Samaras loads of trouble when defending him. He gets my pick for man of the match.

Russia 1 Poland 1- The game that was off the pitch was controversial with lots of violence between both countries. On the field it ended up being a competitive game that won't be memorable to most but it was a decent game. Russia seemed to have possibly ran away with this early with their fluid movement especially from Arshavin who had a terrific 1st half. He was setting the tone and it looked like Poland was playing mostly a defensive scheme. They were getting for most of the 1st half but they got it all wrong when Russia got a free kick. The marking was an absolute disaster and it led to three Russians being open on a ball sent in by Arshavin. Alan Dzagoev won the header and put it in for this third goal of the tournament. Russia seemed to be cruising to a win but Poland came out with a fire. The defense started to tighten up and the midfield began to over run Russia. The goal came off an impressive counter after Arshavin was certain to find an open man on a fast break. Instead Poland made a long run which found their captain Jakub Blaszczykowski who scored on a terrific effort. It was left foot blast that found the top corner which really got Polish fans energized. He was expected to have a big tournament and he's been performing consistently so far. It was well taken and it caught the Russians off guard. Both teams struggled to create chances and when they did, they missed horribly like Kerzahkov who should be benched going forward for Russia. He had another subpar game which can't be tolerated with the likes of Pavylunchenko and Pogyrenbak on the bench. Poland's goal keeping issues weren't bad with Szczensy suspended. Tyton didn't make any mistakes and looked mostly calm in front of net. It was a well deserved draw by Poland while Russia will be frustrated to not have won the group already. The man of the match has to be Blaszczykowski who not only scored the goal but he was causing problems in the central defense for Russia. He doesn't really excel in anything but he's very agile and doesn't stop running.

Portugal 3 Denmark 2- I'm positive that most people know that right now this is the game of the tournament. Even though the first thirty minutes were lacking with any sort of creative or chances other than Pepe's early goal, it was a fantastic game. Portugal seemed to control the first half for the most part with their defense swarming Denmark where they couldn't even get past mid field. Portugal looked hungry for the three points and began to create chances before finally finishing off a corner kick with Pepe who headed it in. After being robbed of a goal against Germany, Pepe gets what he deserved. Portugal made it two quickly with the heavily criticized Heider Postiga scoring after a nice pass by Nani. It was well timed finish with enough power on it for Andersen not to have any chance of scoring. Denmark seemed finished at the moment while Portugal were firing on all cylinders despite Ronaldo not making a huge impact. The game changed right before the half after a long but effective cross by Lars Jacobsen to Krohn-Dehil on the back post where he heads it over Patricio to Bendtner for the easy finish. It seemed like the entire Portuguese defense just fell asleep because nobody reacted to the cross or Bendtner's run towards goal. It was a perfect set up and the game was back on. The second half was more even despite Denmark really struggling to threaten Portugal. They had possession but they never looked like scoring or making Patricio make a save. Portugal eventually opened things up and Ronaldo started getting some chances. It turned out to be a complete failure with Ronaldo missing two good chances including one that will be considered miss of the tournament where he didn't hit the target with nobody near him. Ronaldo continues his struggles on the big international stage with 3 goals in 14 major tournament games. Denmark eventually found the equalizer again from Bendtner who somehow broke free and just got his header inside the post. The comeback looked settled with Portugal completely rattled but they were saved by an unlikely hero. Silvestre Valera finished a loose ball out of nowhere for the winner. After missing a great chance to tie Germany last week, he scored on a near post finish after a nice spin move. It was an unlikely goal but it gave Portugal a huge win and now hold a second place spot. The man of the match is tough to pick because it was such a physical game with miscues everywhere. Pepe played great but I have to give the man of the match to Bendtner who was a problem all game winning headers and helping Denmark control possession.

Germany 2 Holland 1- This was the most anticipated game in terms of quality for group stage. Both teams were considered pre tournament favorites to win the Euro Cup and it was a treat to see them square off in group stage. The game was pretty exciting but it seemed like Germany was always going to win. They had more confidence and seemed to play at their pace. The defense was mostly composed while Holland looked like a mess in the back. Van Der Wiel and Willems were a train wreck as backs on a team thats supposed to be elite. They were always getting beat off the dribble or pass and didn't seem to have any clue on how to push the ball up field. It wasn't pretty and Holland fans probably would have wished that Giovanni Van Brockhorst was still around. After some smooth passing and just missing out on some shots, Germany went up after a great ball in by Schweinsteiger to Gomez for an easy finish. It was just a classic Germany goal of splitting the average Holland defense and taking the lead. Holland's defense continued to struggle and Germany made them pay again with Gomez scoring in the 38th minute on a great finish where it seemed like Willems and Heitinga just froze. It was a pathetic display for a team that needed to do something in this game. They looked better in the 2nd half though with Snejider having another terrific game. He has been the only consistent player for the Dutch in two games this tournament. Affelay and Van Bommel were poor but the subs weren't much better in Kuyt and Huntelaar. Holland just couldn't seem to click and it looked like everyone was looking for their shot except Snejider. Eventually Holland got on the board with Van Perisie scoring an impressive goal with his weaker foot outside the box. Holland couldn't create much more and were fortunate that Germany once again didn't really have their shooting boots on. They controlled and passed the ball much better but Germany teams usually score four goals when the defense is that sloppy. Ozil and Schweinsteiger were fantastic on the ball and really controlled the midfield. Germany took the three points and have to be pleased taking all six points from arguably the toughest teams of the group. The defense looks stronger than most years with Hummels and Badstuber dominating the box. The man of the match is Bastian Scheweinsteiger although if you think Ozil, I can't disagree. Both guys set the tone but the assist separates it for me. Once Podolski and Muller start to pick up their form, the goals will start to increase.

Italy 1 Croatia 1- Another excellent game in the Euros that will be remembered by even the casual fans. I'm not sure if I'd consider this a rivalry but the game seemed very personal from the get go. I also should mention that Italy completely outplayed Croatia in the first half in almost every aspect. Italy looks aggressive, creative, and ready to pounce while Croatia seemed slow and didn't seem to get their flow of passing that they commonly do. They did create some half chances but nothing to make Buffon scared. On the other hand, Italy nearly scored twice in twelve minutes with Balotelli and Marchisio with great attempts on difficult angles. The pressure kept growing with Pirlo running the midfield and Croatia struggling to keep pace. Italy was breaking down the midfield, then they broke down the central defense with a through ball to Marchisio who somehow had his shot saved twice by Pletikosa after making Srna miss badly. It was pretty ugly to watch as a Croatian fan and it was only a matter of time before Italy would strike. It had to happen on the worst way which is a straight free kick goal. Nothing hurts more than that, but with a player like Pirlo and on a nice angle it was going on. Even at age 33, Pirlo looked incredible running the midfield and not showing any age. Croatia was fortunate to still be only down a goal but they needed a spark. Luka Modric seemed the most likely to do and he did just that. Modric began to take control and made runs on his own nearly scoring on few occasions. He started to get everyone involved but Italy's rock solid defense wasn't cracking. They were clearing out every cross and blocking every long distance shot. Italy didn't keep much possession in 2nd half and really looked tired while Croatia began to pounce with Corluka clearing out every ball coming in and Srna playing much better in 2nd half. Eventually the goal that seemed to be coming happened for Croatia with Ivan Strinic putting in a great ball to Mario Mandzukic who trapped it perfectly and volleyed it home from close range. It was a complete miscue on Chilleni's part who misjudged the length of the cross but it was perfectly executed by Croatia and well deserved. I've never seen a bar abrupt like that for a goal in my four years of going to Scorpios. It was an amazing crowd for a Thursday game and their was life to a desperate crowd. Croatia continued to attack and seemed more likely to score in the end but it ended in a well deserved draw. It was a tale of two halves even though I think Italy created a lot more chances in first half than Croatia did in 2nd half. It was still a great 2nd half but they didn't create many clear cut chances despite the excellent ball movement. The man of the match still has to go Andrea Pirlo who still played well in the 2nd half. His ability to spread the field and to get past players is incredible for his age. A top class performance from a true legend on Italy.

Spain 4 Ireland 0- If you ever wanted to see a one sided game in this tournament, I think this game couldn't have been more one sided. I expected Spain to dominate but it didn't seem like they were the team to keep pounding it on. They did that against a helpless Irish team that never looked like a threat. I watched the whole game but I don't feel the need to really get too into this game because it seemed like more of a training session than a game. Spain were pretty much living in Ireland's third half the entire game and passing wherever they wanted to. It was just a matter if Richard Dunne or John O'Shea would block a shot. When the Irish dared to push up, they were punished by allowing a goal. When they failed to clear shots just like against Croatia, they were punished. Fernando Torres had no business scoring that first goal but the clear out was pathetic and Shay Given could have done better. The second goal from David Silva should have cleared with three men not being able to deflect it out. Ireland worked hard and I applaud them for trying but they looked like children against them. It was painful to watch and it looked like the Spain team from 2008 that showed no mercy. I'm not sure who wins man of the match for this one but I'll go with David Silva. Even though Torres scored twice, someone from that amazing midfield has to win it. Xavi and Iniesta were terrific as usual but Silva scored and showed off through out the game. Ireland had loads of problems containing him down the left wing even though you would think their team is filled with premiership players and they would know to double team him more after the year he had at Manchester City. This was no contest from the start and Ireland was officially the first team eliminated in the tournament to nobody's surprise.

France 2 Ukraine 0- The major highlight from this game was how scary was the thunderstorm. The weather was so poor that their were serious considerations to call this game off. It would have been a nightmare to do that but eventually they began to play after 20 minutes to everyone's delight. Other than a few nice plays by Ukraine, this was a one sided contest to nobody's surprise. France has loads of quality and a few changes would do just the trick. Clichy looked more active and physical than Evra while Menez showed far more energy than Malouda. Jeremy Menez didn't have a great game and would like to have a few shots back but he scored a nice goal after making a defender turn. It was a clever finish and it opened up the scoring after a first half where France had to be frustrated from not scoring. Mexes and Menez had excellent shots on net but Pyatov really stepped up to keep Ukraine in the game. Ukraine seemed out classed and stagnant throughout the ninety minutes and were just trying to defend for their lives. The best chance was off a Adil Rami miscue which led to Shevchenko shooting a blast that was well saved by Lloris. After that it was all France moving the ball and getting to wherever they want. Ribery and Benzema looked very on form today by beating defenders off the dribble and commanding attention to pass to the open man. It worked the first time with Benzema and it worked again three minutes later when Benzema got his second assist off a perfect pass to Yohan Cabaye who was making a run in the box. It was a clever finish and it led to France winning 2-0 although it could have been far more. Cabaye shot one off the post and Pyatov made a great save on a Samir Nasri free kick. France looked like the team I expected although they did leave some chances on the field which is typical. After a great win against Sweden, you knew Ukraine was going to be fired up and they showed some bright spots early. Eventually France buckled down and never looked back against them. The man of the match goes to Karim Benzema who had two assists along with being a threat the entire game. It amazed me how many defenders that were swarming Benzema after showing off his touch. It opened things up for France and even though it's disappointing for him not to get on the score sheet, he'll be happy with assists and for them to win it all. He's very unselfish and it makes him an even more dangerous player going forward.

England 3 Sweden 2- The second best game of the tournament without much debate was once again a shocker. I was expecting England to control the game and really set the tone that they'll go through with ease which seemed like the case in the first half. Sweden had some nice ball movement and some half chances but they never looked like a serious threat to score on England. England was moving the ball around well and seemed to link well with their forwards. Scott Parker forced a great save early on but it was only a few minutes later that the Liverpool connection made their mark. Steven Gerrard put in a terrific ball that Andy Carroll was bound to put a header on. Carroll had a tough first full year at Liverpool but he showed that if you put up a ball that good for him, he'll go and get that. He didn't have a great game by any means, but it was huge for England's confidence. The second half started and it was a completely different matchup. After a good spot, Ibrahimovic hit his free kick into the wall but England's inconsistent defending got the better of them. It fell to Olof Melberg who barley struck it in thanks to Glen Johnson being in a tough predicament. Johnson was once again having a good game by making runs and his last second tackles but he could have done better positioning on the goal. It wasn't a good strike from close range so it was tough to really blame Glen Johnson even though he got the own goal credited to him. It only took ten minutes for Sweden to score with Olof Melberg scoring again cleanly this time with England being all disoriented on the set piece. Lescott was mainly the one to blame for letting him open far too easily for Sweden to win 2-1. Its strange how Lescott was from set piece hero on Monday to the goat for England although that would change.

Roy Hodgson seemed calm but he knew that James Milner was a complete liability. I'm shocked that Milner even started the game after a poor first game but he was rightfully taken off by Theo Walcott. That turned out to be the substitution of the tournament with Walcott making a huge impact. With Carroll and Welbeck struggling to get service and Ibrahimovic controlling the game, something needed to change. After a clear out off a corner kick, the ball fell to Walcott who took a crack and it somehow went in. It looked brilliant at first but eventually it was mainly off a miscue with Isaksson struggling to judge the pace of the ball. He seemed confused and the goal wasn't really far off from where he was standing despite not making an attempt. It was a well taken goal by Walcott but he wasn't finished. His pace was the difference maker to a slow Swedish team that looked lackluster in defense with Walcott coming on. After a great run in, he slipped a ball into Welbeck who scored a brilliant back heel goal to give England the lead. It was a great finish by Welbeck who somehow put that in thanks to Walcott's pace. Sweden was devastated and never seemed to really test Joe Hart again in the game other than Ibrahimovic strike that had plenty of force on it. He looked good along with Martin Olsson but Sweden's defensive fell sloppy at the end and they've become the 2nd team eliminated in the tournament. England gets a critical win and will finally get Wayne Rooney back into the squad.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Predictions for last batch of group stage games The Uncommon One: Euro Cup/NBA Finals Smash Part 2

Russia vs Greece- I'm really intrigued by this matchup and I'll be watching this game. Greece needs a win to go through, its pretty simple. Anything less would result in an early elimination while Russia only need a draw to go through or possibly win the group. As a very defensive team, I'm interested to see if Greece really attacks fully knowing they need this win. I can't see them sitting back that long unless they are in the lead. They will need to come up with something because Russia will pick their spots and create chances based on talent. My original prediction was 1-1 but I just can't see Russia losing this one especially knowing that if they come in 2nd, they may end up playing Germany. Russia wins 2-0 without too many issues.

Czech Republic vs Poland- The winner could go through while a draw could either aid Czech Republic or have both teams get eliminated. Both teams are coming off positive results although the injury status of Tomas Rosicky doesn't look good. The star midfielder for the Czechs is doubtful to play which hurts in a major way. Poland seems to be energized and I think they have enough to scrap out a win. I'm going with a 1-0 win in a very scrappy game for Poland negating the 2-2 pick from before.

Portugal vs Holland- Who could forget that 2006 World Cup game which had about nine yellow cards combined for both teams. That was priceless and I'll definitely be watching this game during the Sunday time. Holland needs two goals to have a chance at going through while Portugal may only need a tie. This is going to be very interesting because I can see tempers flying and people being tested. How will Van Der Wiel and Willems step up against Nani and Ronaldo? How will Ronaldo play after a disastrous game against Denmark? I'm wondering if this is the game Holland breaks out and scores three goals to win in dominant fashion. I don't think that will happen because Portugal has shown that they can be organized defensively despite the few miscues. My original pick was 3-1 for Holland I'm going with a 1-1 draw which will lead to a hard exit for Holland.

Germany vs Denmark- I didn't expect this game to be competitive for Denmark but it will be along with Germany. Germany hasn't qualified yet and will need at least a draw to go through despite winning the first two games. This is the only game that will be affected by a suspension based off two yellow cards. Jerome Boateng will miss this game due to suspension which could be a bigger loss than it seems. Boateng made some major tackles against Portugal and he played well against Holland. He could be missed although I think Denmark will end up defending for their lives. They could go through on a draw but it seems unlikely so Denmark will need to attack at some points. It's going to be difficult with their midfield struggling to contain that much talent. They need to continue trying to put in long balls to Bendtner to see what works. I don't think much will happen and Germany could finally break out this game with some top class goals. My original prediction was 3-0 for Germany and I'm sticking with it.

Ireland vs Italy- The one of two games where one team has nothing to play for. Unlike Sweden, Ireland has an interesting sub plot with Giovanni Trapattoni being their coach. He has stated in the past that he was really looking forward to the Italy game so I'm sure Ireland will be playing with plenty of energy. They want to end the tournament on the high note and I think Trapattoni will have some things up his sleeve. Italy is in must win mode and anything but a win will result in elimination. I think Ireland will give them more trouble than people think based on tactics. Italy could get frustrated with the lack of goals and Ireland becoming pests by sending long balls in. I'll have my eye on it to keep track but I think Italy is too good not to win. I don't think Ireland will lay down and they'll have some bright moments but Italy needs this win and I think they'll do it winning 2-1 which is a notch below my original 3-1 prediction.

Spain vs Croatia- I was really excited for Italy but this game I've been counting down an hour after Croatia played. This could be the miracle win or a complete let down for Croatia against a very steady Spanish team. Spain knows that they aren't in yet and a tie would win them the group based on superior goal differential. I don't think Spain will dominate like they did against Ireland but I expect them to control large positions of the game. Croatia will have their moments on the counter and will surprise people like they did against Italy but can the defense hold up against smooth passing like Spain? They were struggling to clear shots out against Italy and we've see what Spain does when you don't clear out plays. That will cost Croatia at some point along with Spain's dominant mid field. Croatia will shock with a goal that will be heard around the world but it ends in heartbreak for Croatia. Instead of a 2-0 loss, I'm going with a 2-1 Croatia loss which leaves me very depressed. I've grown very attached to Croatia in this tournament more than before. Even though I've predicted them to have 4 points at this point, I didn't expect them to play this great. I just thought Italy wasn't that good but they were exceptional but Croatia has stepped up. I'm proud of Croatia right now and barring a blowout, I'll be really proud of them. If they can go out fighting against the champs, then job well done.

France vs Sweden- I don't think Sweden is really going to be up for this match. They never struck me as a nation that will just play for heart. Sweden had expectations to go next round and they have to be devastated to be already finished. I'm predicting Sweden to look lackluster and not give France much trouble. France will be motivated to avoid Spain in the next round and set up a showdown against rival Italy. France will win 3-0 instead of 3-1 with ease although Sweden may surprise with better play but France seems to be firing on all cylinders.

England vs Ukraine- England can qualify for knock out stage with a draw while Ukraine needs a win. The return of Wayne Rooney will be huge for England although I expect a lot from Ukraine after lackluster performance yesterday. I'm sad that I'm missing the game due to work but England is my second team and I hope for the best. They seem a bit shaky in the back right now and I think England will struggle a bit early on. I don't see this ending 4-1 like my original pick but I see England wrapping it up early but Ukraine scores a late one for a late scare. England holds it together and beats Ukraine 2-1 to go through.

I'm not previewing these possible match ups because it could easily change. The games would be Russia versus Portugal which would really intrigue me. Germany will face Poland in a very heated rivalry that could get nasty outside the stadium. Spain will play England in my favorite game of quarterfinals based on star quality. France faces Italy to cap off the quarterfinals in a very big rivalry where France will look to get revenge from 2008 after they were knocked out by Italy.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I honestly don't see the intrigue with Russia/Greece if i'm honest. Sure there is stuff in the balance but Greece are an absolutely woeful side and Russia have looked good thus far and i'd expect them to take apart Greece with absolute ease.

Holland/Portugal should be a decent game with Holland needing a decent sized win to go through with Germany likely beating Denmark. Can see Holland winning but not by the amount of goals needed to qualify.

France should beat Sweden knowing that it will give them top spot in the group, but Sweden do have something to play for in the regards that they won't to go home having lost all three games.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well that was a turn up in group a.

I think Poland's problem is that as host nation they played every game with emotion and peaked too early, and as a result by the time the second half comes they are shattled, the same thing happened today and in their opening game against Greece. The difference between them and the Czech's today were that the Czech's paced themselves better.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Well don't be so quick to judge Dale. Great win by Greece even though I was rooting for Russia most of the game. When the ref botched the call and said Karagounis dived, I couldn't pull for Russia anymore. That was pure robbery! Czechs going through shocked me even though I didn't see much of the game. My focus was on Russia and Greece which was entertaining.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
How wrong was I lmao.

Either way, I would have still said the same 9 times out of 10.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well don't be so quick to judge Dale. Great win by Greece even though I was rooting for Russia most of the game. When the ref botched the call and said Karagounis dived, I couldn't pull for Russia anymore. That was pure robbery! Czechs going through shocked me even though I didn't see much of the game. My focus was on Russia and Greece which was entertaining.

I watched the other game which was intriguing if not great.

Aniking

Reaction score
I just can't believe that Greece not only beat Russia but have actually progressed out of the group over them due to their head-to-head record. As well as that, who would've thought the Czech Republic would top the group after being smashed 4-1 in their first game?

Looking back through the thread, on the 5th of May I predicted the Czech Republic to top the group, followed by Russia. Nearly got that spot on, and I would've if teams level on points weren't judged by their head-to-head record but instead by goal difference :p

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Good lord have the Dutch been terrible this tournament. Pretty sure I predicted them as being one of the favourites behind Germany and Spain given the quality they have in their team but they have underachieved massively and ended up with zero points. Sure they had a tricky group but when you've got players with individual qualities such as Van Der Wiel, De Jong Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Robben, Van Persie & Huntelaar you really should be progressing through.

As it stands we have Czech Republic vs Portugal and Germany vs Greece. I think it will then end up Spain (Winner of Group C) vs England (Runner up of group D) and France (Winner of Group D) vs Italy (Runner up of Group C)

I fancy England to match whatever result France gets which sadly will leave us in second and ending up facing Spain which will be a hard game to say the least. Knowing our luck will top the group and Spain will get runner up in theirs. I expect Italy to give Ireland a good spanking and then it's just a matter of what Croatia/Spain do.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Looks like Portugal will make at least the semi's having been lucky enough to draw the Czechs in the next round.

It was a good effort by Denmark in such a difficult group.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well Spain win ugly shock! They will see that as a good thing at this stage, them and Italy both had their fair share of luck. Ireland saved their best performance until last which is so often the case.

The highlight of the night was Mick McCathey's priceless communtry following Ballortelli's goal, "his team mates have done well there, he has scored a goal and he just wants to run his mouth and they have told him to shut his gob", "Ireland are as dead as a Goose", okay I have no idea what that last one means but it is just as funny! lol.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Looks likely to be France/Italy and England/Spain now, not looking too good for us.

That 1 - 0 win in a meaningless friendly will prol get brought up a ton though.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
France/Italy will be tasty if it did come out that way. Have to say every group has been very tight and hard to predict.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Sure Spain weren't great tonight and will most likely end up beating us provide we get through and end up playing them, I think we have a chance against them.

Obviously i'd have prefered Italy, but I won't right us of yet.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But we may well win the group tomorrow which would mean we advoid Spain anyway. Either way it is going to be a very difficult game.

On that subject what would your England line-up be? The two big dilama's are weather to start Rooney on his return or stick with the front players who did so well against Sweden? And the other one is weather to drop Milner who has had a poor Tournament so far in favour of Walcott who made a big impact when coming on the other night. I think I would get Rooney straight involved in the starting lineup and see what happens as the match moves along, but I can also see a case for starting him on the bench.

Hart, Cole, Johnson, Terry, Jagieka, Parker, Gerrard, Walcott, Young, Welbeck, Rooney. Thats my lineup.