Euro 2012 predictions/Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Ireland are stupid not taking Coleman, I'd hate to be Denmark while Russia could be dark horses, they have a very good side.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Denmark are unlucky to be in the group they are in other wise I could see them having a decent tourement. Mind you I am not a big Portugal fan now think like England they are a ageing side who relie too much on one or two key players, so it would be nice to see Denmark finish above them.

Russia normally do suprise a few people and they are in one of the easier groups so I can see them making the next round. Purely because of them being on home soil I can see Poland squeezing through also.

What do we think of Ireland's chances? Its a horrible group for them, no doubt Spain will go through and Italy are likely to as well, but you never know shocks do happy, it is not the strongest Italian side and there is a lot weigning on their mind right now. Then again Croatia are very strong too so I expect them to make it if Italy do not. Ireland should give a good account of themselves no matter what.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
You can't possibly get on Milner's back when Henderson is in the same team.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Henderson won't get a game, Milner will.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Final thoughts for the Euros kick off tomorrow.

Poland thanks to a strong goal keeper and home support will be the most effective of co-hosts. They are also in a wide open group which will suit them. I say they will sqeak through in
second place but then will be easily dumped out in the Qaunter finals.

Greece have had their moment in the sun. They lack it factor players and are predictable to play against. If they get something from their opening game then they have a shot of making it
through, but I don't think they will so it will always be an up hill task from there.

Russia are a team with great experience. They are one of quickest teams on the counter attack and are always up for a physical battle. Nice mix of flair and hard work should see them
through as group winners, however while they have some talented strikers it still remains to be seen what they can do on the world stage. They are also a team I see making sloppy mistakes
at the back. If there is a suprise packenge who can make it as far as the semi-final I think it maybe Russia.

I agree with CMRP about the Czech Rep, they are a very ageing side and even Peta Cech is not the world class keeper he once was. Like everyone else in the group they will have a shot
of advancing. The good thing for them is that they get the Russia game out of the way first and even if they lose they will still have hope of getting between 4 and 6 points against the weaker
sides, but I still expect them to be found wanting.

Holland along side Spain have the most talented midfelders in the Euros, they also have the hottest striker in club football right now and a pretty solid backline who know how to keep the
ball in important spells of the game. Their passing game is outstanding and they have a nice mix of old pros and exciting young players. However they don't have the cool heads or steel
of say Germany. Sure they know how to dish it out as they proved in the world cup final two years ago, but they tend to go missing when teams get heavy with them. They are also a little
suspect in the air and I can see them conceeding sloppy setpieces at times. For these reasons I see Holland's twenty four year wait for a trophy going on. They will be there or there about,
and should breeze for the group, but I still see cracks which are not there with other top contenders.

When you consider how good Germany's youngersters were two years ago, how they performed in the World Cup and how much they would have improved since then, surely you must fancy
their chances. Another edge they have is that manager Locham Love has lot of experience with the national side now, he was number two to Klinsmann in 2006 and has been the manager
since the German stood down following that world cup. By this point he has proven himself an excellent couch, he has a lot of passion, a smart tactical mind and has a fine working realtionship
with the players, this is the tourement to prove that he really is one of the best in the world. Along with the fresh blood Germany also have the ever relieable pros such as Lham and Swenstagger.
The back four have a good understanding, they have pace in the wide areas, with both good creative players and goal scorers in midfeld and they have a mix of height in Klose and speed
and skill up front, meaning they can mix their team up depending on who they are playing. They have just about everything and are my pre-Euros favourites.

Denmark along with Russia are a team always likely to be dark horses. They are have good experience are a neat and tidy passing team and tend to be physical in the tackle and like to
make life hard for the bigger country's by compressing space in midfeld or in other key areas. Sadly unlike Russia they are stuck in a group with two of worlds finest teams and do not have
the all round talent to create an upset.

Portugal remind me off England, around 2000 they annonced themselves as a force on the world stage with a team breaming full of confident young players full of pace, flair and the
ability to score goals from the most unlikely of ranges or angles. However having missed out on a couple golden chances they soon settled down into a very middle of the road side, who
relie too much on one or two key players and tend to play for pens a little too much when it comes to the later stages. They are much more static and inconsistant then they once were and
do have a lack of team spririt. Sharp counter attacks will prove their best hope of escaping this group.

Spain are the Man Utd of the Euros they will be there or there about, but have seen better days. They are the best footballing side involved, have good experience at the back and a near
perfect midfeld and very good attackers althrough that element of the team maybe isn't as sharp as it once was. I just think they have peaked, if you look at the France example after they
won the World Cup in 98 and followed it up with the Euros in 2000 they then hit their downward sprial. While this Spanish squad should be in much better shape than that I still see the
preassure to keep it up along with the improvement of the likes of France, Germany and Holland as a big test for them.

Italy like Germany can always be relied on to bring their a-game to these big stages, even when it is not strongest Italian sides and they don't play to their best they just seem to have
a way of griding results out. This is a weaker Italy with a question mark over who is going to consistant up front throughout the Euros, sure they have a lot of talent in that area, but it seems
like each striker has something holding them back rather it be being a hot head, being unrelieable or getting on in years. Their backline is also ageing, but that is not such a big concern they have
fine mix of strong tacklers, power houses in the air and good footballers. Midfeld is their strongest area, Pirlo is one of the finest from set pieces anywhere and as normal they will be a
very hard working unit. It is hard to garge just how much the match fixing scardal back home will effect them, but normally they raise up in the face of these things and it may just make
them harder to beat. They face a tough group with Croatia good enough to beat them to second if they are sloppy, but I see Italy making it through even if it might be tight.

Croatia are one of the all round best teams of the tourenment and are a untapped talent. An attractive team with a sense of togetherness, they play some exciting and effective football,
are good down the flacks as well as in the box. Their manager has proven to be a fine motivator of players also, unlike Denmark I do give Croatia a chance of making second in this group
because Italy do have issues, then again so do Croatia, for whatever reason they do flatter to decieve sometimes at this big stages. This is a big chance for them to do it.

Ireland no doubt are the underdogs of the group, they have mostly championship calbire players which if they were not in such a strong group maybe wouldn't be such a problem.
The plus points are that they have a good understanding and work hard as a team, they have very good experience and in Robbie Keane still have a striker who can be a goal threat
to any team. The two main problems they face are the fact that they have a predictable style of play and lack a plan b when that does not work which they will be found out for in the
Euros. Their direct play will put a lot of pressure on Keane and if they can not make the ball stick to him then they will spend long spells of games chasing it. The other issue is that they
do not have that key creative player which any team worth their sault has, but who for an underdog like Ireland is even more important to bring things together. It is a great story them making
it and I am confident they will give a good accounting of themselves however it would not suprise me if they lost every game. They need a result from the opener if they are to stand much
chance.

France are just outside the top bracket of Spain, Germany and Holland as tourement favourites. The lack the versitile of those sides and are slightly ageing, but they have a very bright young
manager who knows French football well, they have good craft and pace in the full backs and lots of creativty in midfeld and one of the most exicting young strikers in the world. I see them
as hot favourites to win this group and while winning the whole thing might be a strech I do see them as a team on the up and one of most confident and balences sides competing.

First things first England have a tough group to get off, it is not as bad as it could have been, but it is still tricky and the fact that they face France and Sweden first makes it that little
bit harder. The key injuries and suspenion of Rooney make it that little bit harder. There huge question marks over Hodgson as manager and the sqaud is very much in transtion so this is
not an easy time for him to take change, he has also had very little time to bed in (thanks FA!). But I think it is a decent appointment, the guy has international experience he knows the players
well having worked in England for a number of years and while he has made some strange sqaud choices overall I think he has gotten the balance between youth and experience just about
right, he has taken a couple of wild cards which I like. This is a big tourement for the likes of Gerrard and Ashley Cole, both must step up as leaders and produce consistant performances to
help carry the team. The forwards are very uncertain, but there is plenty of excitement from the likes of Welbeck and Young, and Scott Parker may shine more than anyone coming off
a great season for Spurs. It is also a good chance for the likes of Lescott to prove he can do it consistantly at international level. There is a lack of depth from sure and too many key injuries
for England to do anything specia, but as long as we make the second round and don't disagrace ourselves then I don't think there will be much to complain about. It is all about the future
at this stage.

Sweden match up nicely with England as they play a simler way to us and have players who have played in our leagues. They are one of the hardest tackeling teams in world football who
are very strong from setpieces which will prove a big test epsically from England. What might let them down is a true lack of class when it comes to playing against the tougher teams
and that their forward line tend to fail to show up to the big stages. They are a very solid side who have the forture of playing Ukraine first and so may already have enough points (if they
get something from England) come the final group match, but I don't see them getting much further. It is a bit of a toss up between them and us for second, but I don't think this is the best
Swedish side and I think England will have a little bit more and might scrap through on goal difference.

Ukraine even with home support are one of the rare whopping boys of this tourement. They peaked in the world class of 2006 when they worked very hard to make it to the sem-finals, but
they tend to be a bit too negative and now their star players are past their best, so I don't see them causing many problems in these championships.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I really fancy England to go out at the group stage, Sweden and France look good money IMO.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well that first game was a pleasent suprise. The ref didn't cover himself in glory epsically with the first red card. Poland blew it. Still think Greece are a shit side.

Russia are the outstanding team of Group A and maybe dark horses of the whole thing. After them it is very close for second place.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The lowlights so far have been the officials and Portugal's diving.

Two intriuging group c matches tomorrow and I am predicting now that Croatia/Ireland will be the better game. Often when top teams meet in the early stages the match flatters to deceive.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I was going to watch both games, but instead I watched the Canadian GP Qualifying session and caught up on some tv shows I Sky+'d

Needless to say, I was shocked when I saw that Holland lost 1-0 to Denmark. Especially considering the Dutch are one of the favorites to win the tournament. I had Portugal/Germany down for the draw, but that group is certainly the group of death.

Aniking

Reaction score
The lowlights so far have been the officials and Portugal's diving.

I haven't even watched a single second of any games thus far (which sucks but that's timezones for you) and I know that there's no way the officials and Portugal's diving have been the absolute lowlights. On-field? Yeah, probably, but overall? No.

The Russian fans have been absolutely disgusting and are an embarrassment to their team. Their team comfortably wins 4-1 over the Czech Republic, yet throughout the match they were chanting racist chants, followed by bashing stewards inside the stadium after the game. It's just disgraceful.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Netherlands were shocking, should never have lost to Denmark. Wasted so many chances in front of goal including one weird situation when RVP was in the box and then stumbled when he tried to kick the ball. Robben continues to frustrate me because of his lack of a right foot, it cost Netherlands in the World Cup and it cost them here when he had only one defender in front of him and he decided to switch back onto his left, where the defender was, rather than taking a shot with his right. Now Netherlands basically have to win their last two games against Portugal and Germany to ensure they get through to the next stage. Disappointing start considering I thought that they would go far this tournament.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well four points is normally enough to go through in second place, so they could draw one and win one, but of couse that would be no sure thing to take them throw. Think you have to give Denmark credit Troy and they had a game plan and performed it to perfection.

Yeah Anking fair point and I agree.

Ireland can't make mistakes like that against any team let alone one like Croatia. They lost on a wimper and that is the shame of it.

So with twenty four hours to go until England's first game and with many questions over the team who would you pick from the availble players?

I would go: Hart, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Johnson, Parker, Gerrard, Milner, Willcott, Young, Welbeck.

The back four pretty much picks itself I would just have Lescott ahead of Jaginka because of him having more international experience. I would have Parker sitting back allowing Gerrard freedom to get forward. With Rooney out, Defoe only just returning from his tragic loss and Carroll a gamble I think Young just behind Welbeck as lone striker given their form understanding at club level and their pace which could unsettle the french backline makes sense.

Last edited:

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I'll be doing full game recaps after each set of games happens when groups are done like once Group D is over. I'll do everything for Tuesday. I'm Croatian and it was a fine display by them. Ireland never looked like much of a threat although Croatia's defense is a bit frail. The attacking was fantastic tonight with Perisic, Modric, and Rakitic really setting the tone. Jelavic and Mandzukic are a deadly duo up top, I'm looking forward to Thursday with Italy. Its going to be very hostile because where I watch games, the neighborhood is Italian and Croatian mixed. Italy looked pretty good so I don't like Croatia's odds but there is hope!

Aniking

Reaction score
Fortunately my internet was running smoothly early this morning (over here), so I was able to stream the Spain/Italy match. Up until Spain's goal, Italy were the more threatening of the two teams when going forward, but after the scores were leveled they rarely had an impact going forward. Still, Spain didn't create a heap of chances and were largely kept out by Danielle De Rossi, who's apparently not even a Centre Back yet he played that position. Pretty top effort if that's the case. The result probably deserved to end 1-1, but with that, I just love how Spain move the ball around. It's so awesome to watch.

Hopefully my internet will obey again and I can stream the England/France match. England are the team I'm supporting seeing how I watch as many Premier League games as I can. Obviously I wanna see Arsenal players do well no matter what country they play for, but my main support goes to England. Hopefully they play well.