Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
DBZ is confusing, and I posted it over there as well.
200.gif

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I'm going to refer to the Broly movie in this thread because the movie has nothing to do with Heroes, anyway, this is a pretty interesting movie. There's a quick mention to the Tournament of Power or whatever in the trailer iirc, which makes me think I should probably get around to watching Super before this hits theatres but besides that, the concept of re-introducing Broly in a new manner to officially incorporate him into canon is a fascinating one. Broly's first movie is one of the best Dragon Ball Z movies (the second and third one are complete garbage), and his popularity in fandom has remained huge. You know, by the power scaling in Dragon Ball Z, a lot of antagonists after him have posed bigger threats and the Goku and Vegeta of now would likely have no problem facing the Broly of that, yet because of how powerful he was portrayed in the movie, the perception of him being one of the strongest lingered, and I just find it kinda awesome that he's introduction into canon is going to lead to him being right near the top of the scale.

I think the movie looks awesome, and just trying to figure out how this is going to differ from his original introduction is enough to keep me intrigued. I don't suspect it'll be better than the original though, the original film dedicated a good chunk of the beginning simply to building up the characters and the suspense for the eventually encounter, which made the long, long, match with Broly really satisfying and felt appropriately oppressive. Vegeta's characterization in that film was also one of the strongest selling-points, and the trailer indicates that Vegeta won't be reacting the same way. Though admittedly, I don't want to watch the original again, I'm just curious to whether or not what this incarnation of Broly brings to the table will be worth inviting him in the first place.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I'm going to refer to the Broly movie in this thread because the movie has nothing to do with Heroes, anyway, this is a pretty interesting movie. There's a quick mention to the Tournament of Power or whatever in the trailer iirc, which makes me think I should probably get around to watching Super before this hits theatres but besides that, the concept of re-introducing Broly in a new manner to officially incorporate him into canon is a fascinating one. Broly's first movie is one of the best Dragon Ball Z movies (the second and third one are complete garbage), and his popularity in fandom has remained huge. You know, by the power scaling in Dragon Ball Z, a lot of antagonists after him have posed bigger threats and the Goku and Vegeta of now would likely have no problem facing the Broly of that, yet because of how powerful he was portrayed in the movie, the perception of him being one of the strongest lingered, and I just find it kinda awesome that he's introduction into canon is going to lead to him being right near the top of the scale.

I think the movie looks awesome, and just trying to figure out how this is going to differ from his original introduction is enough to keep me intrigued. I don't suspect it'll be better than the original though, the original film dedicated a good chunk of the beginning simply to building up the characters and the suspense for the eventually encounter, which made the long, long, match with Broly really satisfying and felt appropriately oppressive. Vegeta's characterization in that film was also one of the strongest selling-points, and the trailer indicates that Vegeta won't be reacting the same way. Though admittedly, I don't want to watch the original again, I'm just curious to whether or not what this incarnation of Broly brings to the table will be worth inviting him in the first place.
Unfortunate that you'll have to watch and catch up to Super.
Not a fan of it really, legit prefer GT over it.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Unfortunate that you'll have to watch and catch up to Super.
Not a fan of it really, legit prefer GT over it.

Ah, gross. My memories of GT were very negative. I hated the concept of reverting Goku back into the kid, and I never made it past the Baby Saga because the dragged on so long I was convinced it was never going to end. Though Baby as a concept was cool. There's a lot of Super that seems interesting to me (though the long amount of one-off comedy episodes I hear they have is off-putting), but I've struggled to get through the movie re-telling of Battle of Gods every-time I try to watch it, and I'm too stubborn to skip them.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Ah, gross. My memories of GT were very negative. I hated the concept of reverting Goku back into the kid, and I never made it past the Baby Saga because the dragged on so long I was convinced it was never going to end. Though Baby as a concept was cool. There's a lot of Super that seems interesting to me (though the long amount of one-off comedy episodes I hear they have is off-putting), but I've struggled to get through the movie re-telling of Battle of Gods every-time I try to watch it, and I'm too stubborn to skip them.
I think GT is fine beyond the Baby Saga if I'm being honest.
I just don't like the power scaling concepts of Super and some other things I can't really say due to it being spoilerish.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I think GT is fine beyond the Baby Saga if I'm being honest.
I just don't like the power scaling concepts of Super and some other things I can't really say due to it being spoilerish.

Ha, figures that GT would improved past the point I stopped watching. I did always think Omega Shenron and Super Android 17 were cool in the Budokai games.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Ha, figures that GT would improved past the point I stopped watching. I did always think Omega Shenron and Super Android 17 were cool in the Budokai games.
Haha.
Yeah legit, if I ever watch GT clips, I never rewatch Baby Saga clips just for the pure amount of hatred I have for that arc.
Not even sure if there's a point to watching it for you since it's non-canon. Maybe for nostalgia?

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Haha.
Yeah legit, if I ever watch GT clips, I never rewatch Baby Saga clips just for the pure amount of hatred I have for that arc.
Not even sure if there's a point to watching it for you since it's non-canon. Maybe for nostalgia?

The best reason I got is morbid curiosity. The only Dragon Ball series I've seen in full is Z, and GT is dead last on my list of what to watch.