Donnie watches NWA-TNA 2002

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

BigVanDonnie

Reaction score
Epilogue

5 years ago i watched this in full for the first time, and i remember being shocked at how bad it actually was. Like, its no WCW 2000, but fuck me its one of the worst years a wrestling company has ever given us. Horrible and offensive gimmicks, promos and matches. The push of Sonny Siaki, an actual Nazi being pushed as a top face. The rampant homophobia, sexism, and racism. SHOOTZ and story-lines that made no sense, or were partially hurt by the bullshit around it. I watched the first African American NWA World's champion be placed in a racial discrimination story-line, and then get shafted week after week. I saw RICKY STEAMBOAT turn heel and then quit the next week, in one of the biggest LOLTNA moments ever. It's just beyond words sometimes in how bad it was. A true case study could come from this.

In saying that, there was some light in the very dark times. AJ Styles arrived. Triple X were formed. Jerry Lynn turned back the clock and won me over a few times, which is insane to think about. AMW and New Church kept me sane every week with some wild brawls and cool moments. Bella drinking and bathing in Slash's blood is a highlight. Amazing Red helped kick off a movement and inspire a ton of wrestlers we have now. Truth might have been fucked in story, but he had my heart the entire time. Watching him reach the top of the mountain was a wonderful thing. As the famous quote goes "Its always darkest before the dawn" There are great things coming in 2003, tag feuds, world title pushes, and the start of destiny being fulfilled. I look forward to watching it all.

Peace.

Reactions: Chris