• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Doctor Who discussion thread

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
I watched the odd ep when he was Doctor, like the one when Billy Piper(someone tell me her name on the show) got separated in a different dimension or something, and the one with the Cyber robots or men or squids, can't remember that well. Either way though I didn't really get what was happening, presuming it was just me not watching other episodes though.

Want you to know if I do start watching, as soon as BB comes back I'm stopping. I'm exclusively a one show man. Except Walking Dead maybe, and this if I really like it. :dawg:

But I refuse to prefer it to Breaking Bad, no matter if it is actually better.:tough:

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
This show is incredibly popular, and I have never seen an episode. I barely know what it's about.
Basically, "The Doctor" (no one knows his real name, not even us) is a Time Lord. Oldest race in the universe. He has a TARDIS (space ship) that travels through time and space, and yeah, the show writes itself with that basically. Comes across various good and bad "aliens" and has to save the world etc. The Doctor is basically a genius, and saves worlds by never carrying a gun, or firing one, but simply uses a sonic screwdriver that can lock/unlock doors. I honestly don't advise using the last few seasons to get into it, but actually starting from when David Tennant started.

Is that the one with the Master? Also have you heard Tennant and Piper are coming back for the 50th anniversary show?
With The Master, and the returning Time Lords. There are so many good episodes with David's run though. Like the first trilogy with The Master, and the one where the 24 planets were aligned (Daleks one, with lots of returning characters [Rose, Martha, Smith, Jack etc]).

I watched the odd ep when he was Doctor, like the one when Billy Piper(someone tell me her name on the show) got separated in a different dimension or something, and the one with the Cyber robots or men or squids, can't remember that well. Either way though I didn't really get what was happening, presuming it was just me not watching other episodes though.

Want you to know if I do start watching, as soon as BB comes back I'm stopping. I'm exclusively a one show man. Except Walking Dead maybe, and this if I really like it. :dawg:

But I refuse to prefer it to Breaking Bad, no matter if it is actually better.:tough:
Can't compare it to BB. I mean, during David's run, I could put it on the same level as BB, but not the current ones. It's hard to compare due to one being a excellently written show that is completely realistic, and the other being completely Sci-Fi.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
I usually enjoy Matt Smith's portrayal tbh, he's got a youthful energy to him which is still a nice change of pace. He feels like his portrayal is a younger version of Tennants if that makes sense, although when they kept bouncing back to I wear X, X is cool it was annoying (fortunately that seems to have stopped this season from my memory) the ghost hunter episode last week was pretty good.

I liked the women being a stuck time traveller who was related to that woman for some reason, it has a logic to it and why she could save her. How the Dr worked out the monster's were in love and he just wanted to be reunited with the one in the house was a nice showing of his inexperience I mentioned earlier, it's like his regeneration put him back on a learning curve with the differing portrayals.

Clara read the Dr's name in a book in his tardis library, she never revealed it though

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I usually enjoy Matt Smith's portrayal tbh, he's got a youthful energy to him which is still a nice change of pace. He feels like his portrayal is a younger version of Tennants if that makes sense, although when they kept bouncing back to I wear X, X is cool it was annoying (fortunately that seems to have stopped this season from my memory) the ghost hunter episode last week was pretty good.
I like Matt Smith a lot as well, I just dislike which direction the show has gone in. It seems much more about comedy than it does seriousness most of the time, and the writers don't seem to have anything on the ones before. They seem to emphasise much more on his assistants, than him himself. Also the writers have this fetish for having the whole season be about the final 1 or 2 episodes, and sometimes that is great, but it's overkill. With previous Doctor Who writers, they did things like subtle hints (bad wolf, Saxon, etc) regarding to big storylines, but not making the other episodes feel like filler.

I'm still a huge Doctor Who fan, and enjoy the show, but I can't help compare it to Tennant's reign of awesomeness.

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
Can't compare it to BB. I mean, during David's run, I could put it on the same level as BB, but not the current ones. It's hard to compare due to one being a excellently written show that is completely realistic, and the other being completely Sci-Fi.

Lol, I was only kidding anyway. I usually like more realistic shows except a few like Walking Dead and such, or at least ones with well written, powerful stories but hell, I'll give it a go. If it isn't for me, then it isn't for me.

Reactions: Crayo

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Lol, I was only kidding anyway. I usually like more realistic shows except a few like Walking Dead and such, or at least ones with well written, powerful stories but hell, I'll give it a go. If it isn't for me, then it isn't for me.
The writers during Russel Davies' reign made the show feel so realistic for what it was (timelord saving the universe weekly, lol). I think you'll love it. Give it a few episodes though (like Breaking Bad) to get into it.

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
The writers during Russel Davies' reign made the show feel so realistic for what it was (timelord saving the universe weekly, lol). I think you'll love it. Give it a few episodes though (like Breaking Bad) to get into it.
Sure, so I should start from Tennant? Know what season that is?

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
Oh right, never knew it was on Netflix. Will start after I've watched Safe House, still haven't finished it lol. And maybe a few episode of The Shield.

Robbie Coletrain

Big Robbie
Reaction score
No, I tried yesterday but my stream was awful, kept stopping every 3 seconds I couldn't watch. Sorry.

Actually no I'm not, you STILL haven't seen Training Day! :bury:

Although that is because you've been watching BB, I'll let you off this time.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Just finished the recent episode of Doctor Who, and wasn't impressed. It was pretty hard to follow at times, and the acting was sub-par. I literally despise the constant "comedy" segments between The Doctor and Claudia, as it's just overkill. Who would really make jokes about a big red button when you're on the brink of death? Death in a time-machine where nobody will ever know why you vanished, etc. It sounds silly to say this, but I wish they went back to the realism factor with Doctor Who. Their comedy used to be spaced out well, and actually funny, but this seems to be aimed at the younger kids. Reminds me of current WWE, lol.

It's a shame because Matt Smith is genuinely a good Doctor, and is fantastic at playing a serious/mad/crazy Doctor, but he is forced to have this 90% comedy side to him. Why are Doctor Who hiring kids from the ghetto to play the bad guys in this as well?

Another thing that urked me is that they yet again used this episode as filler for the Claudia/Doctor build up to "who she is", and what did we learn? We learnt that Claudia thinks she's a human. Fantastic. We have known that for like 5 episodes now. We get it, she's not a villain...

The one thing I did like was the Tardis character. The fact it protects itself so it projects these traps, that was cool. Rant over anyway.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Good point about the comedy, the best part of the episode was when he set self destruct sequence imo. The brother being told he wasn't a cyborg was weak though, it needed more investment. Anyway the premise with the future echos was cool but yeah the episode was poorly paced. I liked the symbology of the brothers becoming the zombies by killing the zombies though if had a nice circle of life feel to it.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Good point about the comedy, the best part of the episode was when he set self destruct sequence imo. The brother being told he wasn't a cyborg was weak though, it needed more investment. Anyway the premise with the future echos was cool but yeah the episode was poorly paced. I liked the symbology of the brothers becoming the zombies by killing the zombies though if had a nice circle of life feel to it.
Yeah that was my favourite part as well. Made him seem crazy, but serious/passionate again. Yeah the brother segment was terrible, mainly due to the poor acting imo. I liked the zombie cycle as well, but thought it could have been explained more. Pretty sure if I found out I was one of the zombies trying to kill me, I'd want to know more about it.