Daniel Bryan Expected Back By Next January

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
33/34 isn't old at all lol. I know it's older for a physical athlete than it is for a normal person, but barring any spontaneous event where Bryan is forced into retirement because of his already existing injuries, he could still go for another ten or fifteen years. Most wrestlers can still perform well into their forties. Age is sometimes just a number. I agree that Reigns will almost certainly get the push at next year's Wrestlemania, but in the long run, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a repeat of The New Generation Era where they intend on making the big guy the new face of the company (Diesel and now Reigns) but the smaller, more technically-gifted wrestlers end up overtaking him and outshining him in popularity anyway (Bret and Shawn back then, and Bryan now.)

And where did you read that Bryan's merchandise wasn't selling well? He's #2 behind John Cena the last I checked.

Being #2 in, and of itself, is misleading. Cena has so much stuff on the market, its unbelievable.
This isn't like being the #2 guy in past years. Savage was a #2, Rock was a #2, Punk was a #2 and Sting was a#2.
I'm not sure, but just because you have more items doesn't indicate they are all selling.
It's possible that the limited items Punk has left is still selling more than Daniel Bryan.
If you took Rey at his peak, Jeff Hardy at his peak and CM Punk at his peak they all probably beat Bryan's peak in terms of merch.

33/34 wasn't old in the previous regime, but HHH is putting his stamp on NXT. He's eager to make those guys stars.
Daniel Bryan also has 15 years under his belt working a high risk style, wrestling guys far bigger.
Guys like HHH and Flair perform far lower risks than Bryan ever has. This was why I brought up his age.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
January? Da fuq
These Royal Rumble returns tend to be anti-climactic don't they?
HHH, Edge, Cena and Batista all had their first match back at the Rumble and neither Road to WM was that spectacular.
Of those 4, Cena's was the only one I'd deem as truly a success but he still failed to win at Mania.
Of course John Cena was thirty years of age with less mileage than the other 3.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Huh. Assuming he does return at the Rumble... I'm not really sure he'll get it. It seems like they're determined to give the belt to Reigns at WM (and him vs Cena sounds likely imo, moreso than Brock), so I don't think Bryan will get the main event for the belt again. They may bring him back before the Rumble and set a feud up for him so he doesn't return in the match to lose, don't think he'll win.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Huh. Assuming he does return at the Rumble... I'm not really sure he'll get it. It seems like they're determined to give the belt to Reigns at WM (and him vs Cena sounds likely imo, moreso than Brock), so I don't think Bryan will get the main event for the belt again. They may bring him back before the Rumble and set a feud up for him so he doesn't return in the match to lose, don't think he'll win.
Great take.
Inserting him in a feud with Bray Wyatt/Seth Rollins (or any other high profile competitor) for Royal Rumble, rather than the Rumble itself is appealing.

If he comes out of that match strong enough, getting screwed at Elimination Chamber keeps his momentum. As Wrestlemania rolled around, the individual he faces (possibly Sheamus or Barrett) would take the loss. With Reigns as champion after Wrestlemania, Bryan would have strong enough momentum to warrant a high profile match with Reigns. I can't speculate win Bryan would win the title again because his injury has really forced WWE to push Reigns to the top of the company.

WWE could always have Bryan win Elimination Chamber and lose the title in a Triple Threat to Reigns at Mania but I'm not sure a Triple Threat for the second Mania in a row is the best avenue to take. Bryan fans aren't going to be happy with things, either way.

Tgmiveld

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
You mean a life where you wreck your body on a continual basis, working for a boss who doesn't believe in a health insurance plan for his workers?
us wrestling fans have always had a hard time on the outskirts of soceity.

with our beards and nerdy interests, we are too smart for the mainstream

Bryan showed us we can make it

ont be so self-rightious

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Being #2 in, and of itself, is misleading. Cena has so much stuff on the market, its unbelievable.
This isn't like being the #2 guy in past years. Savage was a #2, Rock was a #2, Punk was a #2 and Sting was a#2.
I'm not sure, but just because you have more items doesn't indicate they are all selling.
It's possible that the limited items Punk has left is still selling more than Daniel Bryan.
If you took Rey at his peak, Jeff Hardy at his peak and CM Punk at his peak they all probably beat Bryan's peak in terms of merch.

33/34 wasn't old in the previous regime, but HHH is putting his stamp on NXT. He's eager to make those guys stars.
Daniel Bryan also has 15 years under his belt working a high risk style, wrestling guys far bigger.
Guys like HHH and Flair perform far lower risks than Bryan ever has. This was why I brought up his age.

Merchandise is only one piece of the puzzle, but being #2 is an accomplishment no matter how you slice it. Considering Bryan is far more over than anyone else on the roster, it's no coincidence that his overall merchandise revenue would land him in a spot right behind John Cena.

I'd love to compare Bryan's merch numbers now with how well guys like Mysterio, Punk, and Hardy did in the past, but accurate merchandise figures are hard to come by. And there's no way that anyone can say that Bryan has even hit his peak yet. None of the aforementioned guys are currently full-time performers for the company. Bryan on the other hand had only just made it to the top of the mountain as far as being positioned as the #1 guy on the show (for the time being, anyway) before his title reign was cut short due to his neck injury. We'll see how much momentum Bryan has after he returns, especially since a lot of guys really hit their peak AFTER coming back from a serious injury. Ric Flair broke his back in a plane crash and was told he'd never wrestle again, but did anyway and carved out pretty much the entire legacy that we know today. Triple H returned from his quad injury to one of the largest reactions in WWE history and is still performing to this day (even though his 'peak' years were technically 2000/2001.) Austin became one of the biggest stars in history AFTER suffering the neck injury that would eventually end his career. Bryan's return may very well prove to be similar.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
You're right about mercy being a small piece of the puzzle, but the only other measuring stick would be PPV buys.
I admit, I did the eyeball test with regards to mercy and Bryan doesn't compare to the others. This is mostly evident by the fact I really never notice Bryan wearing anything more than the Che Guevara shirt. The other aforementioned stars released more types of gear.
The only concrete evidence is that CM Punk surpassed Cena at one point in 2011. If I'm not mistaken Flair changed his move set from a power game to the more slapstick style he works now. Bryan is far smaller than Flair and must rely on convincing the audience he can beat bigger opponents.

I personally find Bryan far too boring in his current persona.

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
And there's no way that anyone can say that Bryan has even hit his peak yet.
I would bet my life that Bryan has peaked lol. It is all downhill from here for him.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score