Classic Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Didn't notice the difference. Good catch.

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin is amazing. He really knew how to play the pompous heel, that guys like Rick Martel really drew parallels to. His in-ring work was nice, but his character really defined him, in my opinion.

Yeah most of the really old commentators called it "su-play" but I think Gordon Solie was the last one I can remember doing it.

Jimmy Garvin...wow, there's a guy I haven't thought about a whole lot but can see the parallel.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Since it is [HASHTAG]#TerryTuesday[/HASHTAG]

How the fuck did he make it off the island alive?

Reactions: Roadster

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Reactions: Dolph'sZiggler

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score

My favorite Hogan wrestling match. By far his best in-ring work, in my opinion.

The AWA is awesome. I've always loved watching any documentary I could find on the promotion. So many guys got a start there.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
The AWA is awesome. I've always loved watching any documentary I could find on the promotion. So many guys got a start there.
WWF was a carbon copy of the AWA, in the mid 80s. Billy Graham, Curt Hennig, Scott Hall, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, Harley Race, Slaughter, Super Fly, Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman.

WWE likes to say Vince McMahon created Hulkamania, whether it be Verne, Greg or Hogan himself, it was already running wild before the WWE. AWA is the best old school promotion because it wasn't as old school as the NWA, had fresh faces and a great roster, matched only by late 80s WWE.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Yeah in basis Vince did to the AWA some very similar things that WCW later did to the WWF. He lifted a lot of established wrestlers and kept their characters and such. It's why a lot of people had little sympathy for Vince's complaining when WCW kept taking their "established stars" and getting success from them.

Personally I never have and never will have any issue with this at all, but Vince had little reason to whine about the ethics of such business practices when he did it before.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Yeah in basis Vince did to the AWA some very similar things that WCW later did to the WWF. He lifted a lot of established wrestlers and kept their characters and such
I beg to differ. I think WCW allowed an evolution of their characters. Hogan and Savage retained their characters, for a short while. For the most part, they had changed up their act and reformed to one of the hottest acts in wrestling history. WCW used WWE guys and built more off their already established characters. Hollywood Hogan and nWo Savage. Another example of WCW building off of guys is Razor Ramon and Kevin Nash. They already had a certain swagger about them, and Eric expanded upon that.

Vince McMahon lured the guys away and did little to change and refreshen their act. It might be because they didn't need a change, but I think that WCW did the least harm, with their signings. WWE's signings, however, killed dozens of companies and ended dozens of careers.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I think WCW allowed an evolution of their characters. Hogan and Savage retained their characters, for a short while. For the most part, they had changed up their act and reformed to one of the hottest acts in wrestling history. WCW used WWE guys and built more off their already established characters. Hollywood Hogan and nWo Savage. Another example of WCW building off of guys is Razor Ramon and Kevin Nash. They already had a certain swagger about them, and Eric expanded upon that.

Vince McMahon lured the guys away and did little to change and refreshen their act. It might be because they didn't need a change, but I think that WCW did the least harm, with their signings. WWE's signings, however, killed dozens of companies and ended dozens of careers.

You're misunderstanding me. I am not saying that WCW didn't allow the characters to evolve. What I was saying is that Vince's complaint was that WCW was taking and using his established characters and that it was hypocritical of Vince to say that when he did exactly what he was accusing WCW of doing. Hell, he even tried suing WCW to get Scott Hall and Kevin Nash to portraying attributes that the Diesel and Razor Ramon characters used. What WCW did is actually irrelevant because I was referring to Vince's perception of it and his words were accusing WCW of something that he did with no problem in the 80s.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
My favorite monster heel is Nikita Koloff. He had an amazing look, was pretty good in the ring, and is the best United States Champion in history, in my opinion. His Best of Seven series with Magnum TA, his feud with Sting and his feud with Lex Luger (my personal favorite). He wasn't exactly the greatest technical worker, but really knew how to get heat and a pop for his face opponent. I loved his run in the NWA and WCW. Going back and watching his run really shows the similarities between his run and Rusev. The dominating initial run, the US title run, the loss to the American face, the Russian Chain Match. It was all there, but Nikita was able to retain his credibility after the loss.

Ivan Koloff was, in his own right, an amazing wrestler. His run as WWE Champion, from what I've seen, was amazing. The match where he lost his WWE title, had the most amazing pop I've ever heard. He was all round amazing. His later career alongside his "nephew" Nikita was just as good as his wrestling career. The nickname, Russian Bear, is badass. These two are the Russian heels done to a tee, and it's freaking amazing.

Krendall

The Showoff
Reaction score
Vince McMahon lured the guys away and did little to change and refreshen their act.
In those cases it was usually Vince not being interested in using or pushing those wrestlers so much as just wanting to keep them from making money for the other companies. Hell, he still does that today. Look at how tightly Vince hanged on to Rey Mysterio despite Rey almost never appearing on TV. Vince didn't want to use Rey, he just didn't want Rey to help AAA or Lucha Underground.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Love Texas Death.

EWR got me hooked on them.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I figure a lot of people would watch the match and assume nothing happened much in it. It's not flashy, not a lot of moves. But Bam Bam vs Killer Khan was a classic feud and this match still was pretty brutal for the time.

Back when I used to play the IWA, my specialty match was Texas Death... love them... last man standing matches seem to have put them on the wayside though.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp

Bad quality. Great match. Beast Severn is amazing.