Sky's Good Matches Thread (formerly You Decide What Sky Watches)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
If I could make a small request, I'd like to see a lot more women's wrestling in this one, because there's basically none of it on the wheel right now.
There should be something on it...

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Match #10
Peter Szakacs vs. Robby Baron
World of Sport - March 16, 1974 (aired)

Our first dive into British wrestling! And by British wrestling, I mean REAL British wrestling, the one that everyone remembers. Except not quite, because we hadn't yet seen the rise of Big Daddy (he wouldn't come for another year) and instead just get the basic, rules-heavy, and unflashy stuff. This was broadcast on World of Sport, though, so maybe it'll be decent. Peter Szakacs is a name I have vaguely heard of, but maybe it's his more famous brother Tibor.

One of the hallmarks of a rules-based product: the referee EXPLAINING the rules! This match is getting 6 rounds but only going to 1 fall, apparently. The crowd has very little noise for the wrestlers but boos the portly referee, Max Ward. Apparently both these guys weighed in at exactly 165 lbs, which feels a bit too coincidental. It starts as you'd expect, as just a series of holds that last slightly too long. Also, I know it's called "grunt-and-groan" but the noises of grunting on this broadcast are way too distracting. It doesn't seem to be either wrestler. I'm not ruling out it being the referee. First actually impressive thing I see is Szakacs grabbing Baron's head with a headscissors that's both quick and precise, as a counter to Baron's arm work.

Some of these holds are strangely erotic. Szakacs is on one knee, digging his raised knee into the back of Baron's neck, whilst Baron is wrapping his arms around his opponent's head. Or the time when Szakacs rolls a bodyscissors into a sort of prone jackknife pin, but Baron counters it into a surfboard (the most sexual of all the holds, naturally). I'm now not ruling out this distracting grunting (it's the same grunt sound again) being added in post. Baron locks in a full nelson, but like the amateur he is, doesn't even jerk Szakacs around like a true pro like Bobby Lashley would. He later starts trying to choke Szakacs with his own arm before round one ends.

We get an inter-round break and I ponder how good it was that entertainment came into wrestling. I know it's "less realistic" than this sort of thing, but fuck me, this is a difficult watch in the modern day.

The second round finally answers the question for me: that grunting really is the referee. He's just counting the downs in case there's a knockout. Baron claps Szakacs' ears with his knees in the first actual impact move of the match. "A toe-and-ankle with a difference", says the commentator about a Szakacs hold, to which I'd assume mentioning the difference (the fact that he's twisting his opponent's knee off) is important. It's interesting how different the psychology is here, because I see Baron repeatedly attempting to get his shoulders up every time the referee even thinks about counting one. Szakacs has Baron in a bodyscissors while Baron's lifting him and trying to deliver some sort of suplex... and then they just.... agree that neither of them is going to do anything and break it up??

:pogba

Commentary pretty much gives up describing the tangles of legs and arms midway through round two. I don't know what to make of it either. Szakacs goes for a crucifix pin towards the end of the round, but Baron keeps jerking his shoulders up. Apparently kickouts weren't even a thing back then, you just jerked your shoulders up.

Apparently part of the story here is Baron's injured knee, something I only just noticed, it's mostly been holds with barely any reaction. Another incident where they just agree to break up a hold... why? Baron's thing appears to be that he has educated feet (see: the leg attacks to the head) and he uses a cross headscissors choke for about a minute that seems to be legitimately robbing the Hungarian of air. Is that... actual selling?? Later it's the return of the erotic holds as Szakacs appears to be sitting in front of Baron and spreading his legs apart.

A small moment of comedy, somehow, as while trying to get an armbar on Szakacs, Baron pulls his foot back so it smacks his opponent in the head. The "Ow" is what sells it. Final hold of round three is Szakacs binding his opponent's foot with his own feet, in a way that doesn't look in any way intense or harmful. During the break we get a bit of backstory on Baron: he wants to fight at middleweight but he can't bulk up enough. In the commentator's opinion, though, he should probably fight lighter.

Round four, and Szakacs looks like he's just strangling his opponent from side-on. We finally get some wrestling as we in 2022 know it as Szakacs brings a snapmare into what looks like a headscissors driver! Sunset flip by Baron fails, and Szakacs Irish whips, Baron looks like he's attempting a takedown but Szakacs brings it into a rana pin for the win. Crowd is VERY mixed, because you know, foreign.

I tried. I tried to wring some enjoyment out of this match, but it's just so dry. Maybe the reason why they were able to keep the illusion that British wrestling is real instead of that "fake American rubbish" is that they managed to remove almost anything that could be considered entertainment. Sorry to whoever suggested this one. This just felt so empty.

Last edited:

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Match #10
Peter Szakacs (c) vs. Robby Baron
World of Sport - March 16, 1974 (aired)

Our first dive into British wrestling! And by British wrestling, I mean REAL British wrestling, the one that everyone remembers. Except not quite, because we hadn't yet seen the rise of Big Daddy (he wouldn't come for another year) and instead just get the basic, rules-heavy, and unflashy stuff. This was broadcast on World of Sport, though, so maybe it'll be decent. Peter Szakacs is a name I have vaguely heard of, but maybe it's his more famous brother Tibor.

One of the hallmarks of a rules-based product: the referee EXPLAINING the rules! This match is getting 6 rounds but only going to 1 fall, apparently. The crowd has very little noise for the wrestlers but boos the portly referee, Max Ward. Apparently both these guys weighed in at exactly 165 lbs, which feels a bit too coincidental. It starts as you'd expect, as just a series of holds that last slightly too long. Also, I know it's called "grunt-and-groan" but the noises of grunting on this broadcast are way too distracting. It doesn't seem to be either wrestler. I'm not ruling out it being the referee. First actually impressive thing I see is Szakacs grabbing Baron's head with a headscissors that's both quick and precise, as a counter to Baron's arm work.

Some of these holds are strangely erotic. Szakacs is on one knee, digging his raised knee into the back of Baron's neck, whilst Baron is wrapping his arms around his opponent's head. Or the time when Szakacs rolls a bodyscissors into a sort of prone jackknife pin, but Baron counters it into a surfboard (the most sexual of all the holds, naturally). I'm now not ruling out this distracting grunting (it's the same grunt sound again) being added in post. Baron locks in a full nelson, but like the amateur he is, doesn't even jerk Szakacs around like a true pro like Bobby Lashley would. He later starts trying to choke Szakacs with his own arm before round one ends.

We get an inter-round break and I ponder how good it was that entertainment came into wrestling. I know it's "less realistic" than this sort of thing, but fuck me, this is a difficult watch in the modern day.

The second round finally answers the question for me: that grunting really is the referee. He's just counting the downs in case there's a knockout. Baron claps Szakacs' ears with his knees in the first actual impact move of the match. "A toe-and-ankle with a difference", says the commentator about a Szakacs hold, to which I'd assume mentioning the difference (the fact that he's twisting his opponent's knee off) is important. It's interesting how different the psychology is here, because I see Baron repeatedly attempting to get his shoulders up every time the referee even thinks about counting one. Szakacs has Baron in a bodyscissors while Baron's lifting him and trying to deliver some sort of suplex... and then they just.... agree that neither of them is going to do anything and break it up??

:pogba

Commentary pretty much gives up describing the tangles of legs and arms midway through round two. I don't know what to make of it either. Szakacs goes for a crucifix pin towards the end of the round, but Baron keeps jerking his shoulders up. Apparently kickouts weren't even a thing back then, you just jerked your shoulders up.

Apparently part of the story here is Baron's injured knee, something I only just noticed, it's mostly been holds with barely any reaction. Another incident where they just agree to break up a hold... why? Baron's thing appears to be that he has educated feet (see: the leg attacks to the head) and he uses a cross headscissors choke for about a minute that seems to be legitimately robbing the Hungarian of air. Is that... actual selling?? Later it's the return of the erotic holds as Szakacs appears to be sitting in front of Baron and spreading his legs apart.

A small moment of comedy, somehow, as while trying to get an armbar on Szakacs, Baron pulls his foot back so it smacks his opponent in the head. The "Ow" is what sells it. Final hold of round three is Szakacs binding his opponent's foot with his own feet, in a way that doesn't look in any way intense or harmful. During the break we get a bit of backstory on Baron: he wants to fight at middleweight but he can't bulk up enough. In the commentator's opinion, though, he should probably fight lighter.

Round four, and Szakacs looks like he's just strangling his opponent from side-on. We finally get some wrestling as we in 2022 know it as Szakacs brings a snapmare into what looks like a headscissors driver! Sunset flip by Baron fails, and Szakacs Irish whips, Baron looks like he's attempting a takedown but Szakacs brings it into a rana pin for the win. Crowd is VERY mixed, because you know, foreign.

I tried. I tried to wring some enjoyment out of this match, but it's just so dry. Maybe the reason why they were able to keep the illusion that British wrestling is real instead of that "fake American rubbish" is that they managed to remove almost anything that could be considered entertainment. Sorry to whoever suggested this one. This just felt so empty.

• Haha
Reactions: Sky

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Strap in, there's like 3 of these early-70s British wrestling matches left on the wheel and I am going to dread them all

I think I suggested mostly good ones aside from one or two bad ones.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Match #11
Kyoko Kimura vs. Toshie Uematsu
Battlarts - February 25, 2007

Yes, I went right into the next match because I need something actually enjoyable to cleanse the palate. And as luck would have it, the first women's match of this thread is here! And I guess people saw that I liked the match under Battlarts rules, because there is a LOT of Battlarts on this wheel. Not that I'm complaining.

We get our first visual, and Kyoko Kimura's attire... really is something. Yes, the Jamaica flag attire and colossal afro was a trademark of hers, but the way this is lit (I'm sure it's only the light) makes it look like actual blackface is involved. That's an uncomfortable start. First move in this match is a Kimura bodyscissors DDT, which just ends up looking like she's been overpowered by Uematsu, with how little it's sold. Eventually, Uematsu does just overpower her opponent, with an exchange of leg lock attempts ending in Uematsu almost taking Kimura's knee off early.

Still very even, though, as Kimura seems to be riding her opponent like a horse, but transitions it really cleanly into a rear naked choke! Nice! I'd like to reiterate what I said about Japanese wrestling - a lot more visually failed holds than successful ones. Kimura looks to be leaning back for an attempt at an armbar, but Uematsu is scrambling to the ropes. I get a sense of panic coming off her there, which is pretty cool. Another phase of jostling for control ends pretty similarly, but with a hammerlock replacing an armbar.

Uematsu really throws herself into a dropkick in a way you don't see often. A series of kicks to the side of the head don't really seem to faze Kimura, and she comes out on top in the following standing brawl. However, Uematsu counters well into a really nasty-looking leglock. Sorry if I don't know the names of all the holds, that one just looked nice. Big powerbomb from Kimura.... but Uematsu has the cross arm breaker! The next few sequences are arm work. Flying dropkick from Uematsu... then back to the arm. Northern Lights suplex... then back to the arm. Not complaining at all, just hoping all this arm work goes somewhere. Kimura manages to counter and delivers a chop with her good arm that absolutely rings around the building.

Uematsu's attempt to run the ropes is stopped instantly by a big boot. She then attempts to counter a suplex attempt with a sunset flip... but then receives an ankle lock from Kimura! :mark: GREAT transition. Kurt Angle would be proud of that transition to an ankle lock. She then changes it up to a high angle half crab, and Uematsu's whole leg must be wrecked by this point.

Kimura puts on a Torture Rack... but Uematsu clings to her with a rear naked choke!! Kimura does the standard thing and backs to the corner, but she can't shake her! Finally a hair toss does it, and she counters Uematsu's submission attempt by just showcasing her pure power! Kimura has it won with a Boston crab, but she just... lets go for some reason. Uematsu tries to land on a back body drop, but her legs are gone so she just drops to her knees. Nice touch. She can get to her feet, though, and sweeps Kimura's leg to set up for the Passion Clutch and gets the submission win!!

Pretty cool match. Takes a while to get going, but when it's good, it's AWESOME. I get the feeling this could have gotten five minutes more and that would have improved it a lot.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I'll add some more once you get more and more done

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Match #12
Trio Fantasia vs. Los Thundercats
2/3 Falls Masks vs. Masks Match

Lucha Libre in Monterrey - December 8, 1991

From Japan we go back to Mexico, in a match that I think might be affiliated with CMLL but I'm not sure because it's not on Cagematch. This one has two kid friendly trios going up against each other with masks on the line. Trio Fantasia is Super Muneco (clown dude), Super Pinocho (Pinocchio, apparently) and Super Raton (literally just Mighty Mouse in the ring). If you think that's not trademark infringe-y enough, their opponents are literally just the Thundercats. Who will win? Who will be unmasked? Let's find out!

Sorry if this match's writeup isn't as in-depth, by the way. As is par for the course in Mexico, the surviving footage is in absolutely atrocious quality, with washed out colours, so it's often difficult to tell these luchadores apart even with the colourful masks. From what I can tell, the Thundercats are out first. Muneco enters, tossing stuff to kids in the crowd, before he gets double team beaten on by Panthro and Tigro. Super Pinocho is next, who takes a TRIPLE team beating. The Thundercats are living up to the "cats" part of their names and being dicks for no reason. Well not "no" reason, they want to not be unmasked, but this is really heelish from Kids' Cartoon Characters. Raton isn't actually seen on camera until a minute and a half into the beatdown, which gives me the impression that he showed up late to his own mask match.

Leono topples Raton with a pretty weak clothesline. A combo of back body drop and turning splash means Tigro (at least I think it's Tigro) scores the first fall on Pinocho. Leono was holding Tigro down on that fall... cheating, surely? They then try to get an extra fall and a submission win (with a camel clutch) while the referees remind them that they're supposed to be having a post-fall break.

And since it's the dark ages of wrestling, they go to commercial. When we come back, Trio Fantasia are getting bullied, again. Especially Pinocho. Guessing he's meant to be the weak link. Nobody considers tagging in or out for even a moment. Tigro leans a bit too much into his role and tries to bite Pinocho's mask off. :lol We then get Muneco ripping the mask of Panthro, and crowd pops HUGE. Muneco tosses Leono into the crowd, so a friendly fan tries to help him up! :lol Muneco helps Raton to hit a running crossbody on Tigro, but he whiffs it so hard it looks like a running diving headbutt. Still doesn't stop him going for a crucifix pin for two. Pinocho gets the second fall by hitting a turning diving splash, and now it's even.

Another ad break, and now we see Trio Fantasia triple teaming Tigro. Good to see those cats getting a taste of their own medicine. Super Raton tosses Panthro into some empty chairs in the crowd, but unlike for Leono, no help comes. Gotta love that preferential treatment. Tigro, who's pretty badly bleeding by this point, also gets tossed out. We later see a chair being dislodged from around the guy's foot. I have to comment at this point that the camera work is often terrible in this. It can barely keep focused on the match. The crowd is LOUD for Tigro and Pinocho brawling on the outside, and yet nobody thinks to focus on it until 10 seconds later. After that, Pinocho is apparently too exhausted to sell anymore.

We get a couple of false finishes with both sides showing off their favourite pinning predicaments. Raton manages to balls up a running crossbody again, but this time it's in kayfabe as he hits Muneco. Tigro gets a tope on Pinocho, but sells it more than his opponent does. Panthro and then Pinocho take it in turns to miss top rope splashes. I may have been mixing up Tigro and Panthro all this time, they look far too similar in this footage. Panthro accidentally hits Tigro (I think that's what the commentators said) before Pinocho dives to the outside and gets some REAL distance. A top rope electric chair suplex somehow does not finish the match, instead not even getting the dignity of a pin attempt before Muneco misses a splash. After a bit of chaos, Muneco gets the submission win totally out of nowhere. It looked like Leono gave up really quickly, I'll have to take the referee's word for it.

That wasn't good, but I can't exactly call it bad. It was lacking in structure and was mostly just an in-ring brawl with three falls, but there was certainly a level of entertainment. Looks like this will be a new line dividing "good" matches from "bad" ones.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
From Japan we go back to Mexico, in a match that I think might be affiliated with CMLL but I'm not sure because it's not on Cagematch.
It isn't affiliated with CMLL

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Oh I see. Do you know who was running the Monterrey "territory" at that time then, if it's not someone involved with CMLL?
I believe it was just an independent show that was ran by the people who run Monumental Monterrey arena

Reactions: Sky

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Match #13
Eddie Kingston vs. Shane Storm
CHIKARA Two Eyebrows Are Better Than One - January 27, 2008

Fuck yeah, Eddie Kingston time. I've always been into this guy, and it's good to see a match featuring him on the wheel. Also a CHIKARA match. I feel that with all the shoot-style stuff going on, things may have gotten too serious, and it's good to see CHIKARA. Never heard anything of Shane Storm, so I'll be down to enjoy him for the first real time.

Two things immediately catch the eye. First, that was not what I expected Eddie Kingston to look like. He looks much trimmer than usual, even when he's actually not. The face paint and red/black ensemble makes me think bootleg Demolition. Secondly, that was not what I expected a man called Shane Storm to look like. Man with a name that's the most Generic McIndyguy name comes out in jorts and a mask he probably stole from a clown luchador. And wait, did I just hear him being described as a traffic regulator? Man, CHIKARA is weird.

Eddie immediately starts out working the shoulder and arm. Storm responds with a headscissors... which Eddie seems to just rise out of. Must not have been that good of a headscissors, then. I notice that Storm's shirt says "THAT JAPANESE MOVE!!". We get an armdrag, probably my favourite of the "common" moves. Except it's a flying armdrag so I'm way more into it. Eddie does the most nonchalant cornered-lift-your-opponent-outside spot (is there a technical name for that?) I've ever seen. A chop from the second rope sends Shane landing pretty badly to the outside on his knees. I notice his kneepads seem to be improperly applied. Yeesh.

Eddie goes to the outside to bully Storm, clearly not the type to want to win by countout. Speaking of countout, he's not in the ring by a count of 10, which is how I find out that CHIKARA uses 20-counts for countouts. Storm is bleeding, apparently out the nose. Eddie smears himself in his blood, breaks the count, then comes out to fish-hook Storm's nose like the mega heel he is. As he's returning to the ring, he tosses away a red stop sign that Storm was apparently using for his entrance, which gets one of the biggest heel heat on this match so far. Back in the ring, Storm bridges to avoid a 3-count. That's the sort of technique you learn by watching early 70s World of Sport! (Also learned while watching early 70s World of Sport: self-harming techniques)

Someone in the crowd shouts "Family event! Come on!", apparently in response to Eddie pulling one of the straps. Because family means not even the slightest potential for nipples. Commentary's response to Eddie applying a camel clutch, seemingly facing away from their desk: "We can't see what's going on, but it sounds gross". Storm gets a very brief second wind, attempting a sunset flip... that doesn't even get a one! This feels way squashier than I'd expect or like, but the way Eddie does it is selling me on it.

Eddie's straps are down! Nipples confirmed! He takes the time out to challenge a guy in the crowd to a fight, which gives Storm a short time to recover. Gotta love that. Eddie gets tossed outside, tweaks his knee, but is able to just walk away (Samoa Joe-esque) to dodge Storm's slingshot tope con hilo. Storm must really hate his own knees given how he's treating them. He's still able to survive multiple pinning attempts, though, and now it's time for the Comeback Spot! A DDT that really snaps (I love it when they snap), forearms, and a vertical suplex. Commentary implies he was instead going for a Jackhammer on that last one. Then he drops Eddie right on his head with a German suplex. Fuck me, that's rough to watch. Especially with the sell that makes me genuinely consider something could have gone horribly wrong.

Now Eddie's been brought down a peg, but he still manages to fold up Storm with a clothesline! A call of "the referee stinks" kind of takes me out of Eddie's well-executed Death Valley Driver. The head-drops go both ways apparently as a half-and-half suplex gives Storm a fairly bad landing. He doesn't sell it like he's almost paralysed like Eddie did, though. He does become unable to hit a Shining Wizard properly, but Eddie sells like a champ anyway. Shane brings some headbutts to counter Eddie's (wouldn't that make the problem worse?) and gets a close two with a spinning kick. Another bad Shining Wizard is followed by a decent one. Ultimately, though, Eddie's able to come out on top, and a trio of back suplexes (none of which seems to treat Storm's neck well) leaves a young Bryce Remsburg so in shock he almost doesn't count the pin for the win.

So yeah, decent watch. I couldn't really shake the feeling that this was a match between two very different classes of worker, given the number of botches and mistimings on Storm's part. Young Eddie doing a violence is always nice to see though.