WWE vs. UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WWE or UFC

• WWE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UFC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Boxing is wayyyyyy more dangerous than MMA. If you think otherwise, you either haven't watched enough boxing or haven't been hit in the face 100 times in a fight and fought over 50 fights. Punched in the fuckin face is more detrimental to one's health than having a limb stretched or even broken. A limb will heal, you can't patch a brain. Plus, someone died in a boxing match. Case closed.

Reaction score
Boxing is wayyyyyy more dangerous than MMA. If you think otherwise, you either haven't watched enough boxing or haven't been hit in the face 100 times in a fight and fought over 50 fights. Punched in the fuckin face is more detrimental to one's health than having a limb stretched or even broken. A limb will heal, you can't patch a brain. Plus, someone died in a boxing match. Case closed.

A person has died during such activities as college football practice, pro basketball, and high school baseball. By your logic you would consider those sports (two of them non-contact sports) as more dangerous than professional MMA.

Also, the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine published an article to support my premise:

"A recent look at the injury rates of professional boxers in Nevada showed 17.1 injuries per 100 fight participations (Bledsoe et al., 2005). With an overall injury rate of 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations, MMA competitions demonstrate a high rate of overall injury"

(Source: http://www.jssm.org/combat/1/18/v5combat-18.pdf)

I would say that a higher injury rate would make a sport less safe. However, this all depends on what one's definition of "safe" is of course.

I believe this shows that in fact the case is not closed just because you say so.

J...

Reaction score

[yt]xymMulMoWtE[/yt]

That dude died, yup in MMA, MMA is more dangerous by far they get hit in the face a shit ton too plus having you internal organs squeezed together for long periods of time is not good either. MMA is more dangerous as it uses more of the body plain and simple raises the changes for injuries and other things.

Reaction score
Rougeau, you're misinformed. The college football player died in practice. A pro football player died in practice too, a Minnesota Viking lineman, because of the supplement that he was taking and the heat. That's the way the college football player. And the professional basketball player you speak of is Boston Celtic Reggie Lewis who died from a heart failure during practice. What does all this mean? That your point is moot since they all died in PRACTICE. You should do your research a little bit better, there is no comparison to being smacked in the face in what causes mental diseases and deterioration of cognitive faculties and dying from combinations of meth type ingredients in supplements or heart disease crossed with the fatigue of sport.

And you site injury. I'm talking long term effects. I'd rather suffer a broken freaking limb than suffer from Alzheimers 20 years down the road. Go see how being hit in the face for 36 minutes affects a person after 50 fights. A successful boxers career lasts about 30 fights longer than a successful MMA fighter's career. A boxing match lasts about double to triple the average MMA bout. A MMA fighter doesn't suffer 10% of the blows a boxer suffers. MMA fighters just don't endure what a boxer endures, that's not opinion, that's just common fact. Did you see the Cotto fight? Cotto's opponent freakin had a bum leg after he slipped, his corner threw in the towel and the ref threw it out and that poor guy got butchered for two more rounds before it was stopped. That doesn't happen in UFC, it's highly protective and that's a good thing. Guys can get knocked the fuck out for 9 seconds sometimes 5 times a fight before they get put down or the ref stops it. I'd rather get pounced ONCE and have the ref call it off instead of getting back up to get put back down. And again, more injuries doesn't necessarily dictate more danger, injuries heal, brain trauma doesn't. Go ask Ali, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield hasn't been licensed to fight in some states because his mental conditions are showing deterioration. There just isn't enough time in an average MMA career to be exposed to the possible dangers of mental damage as compared to boxing. Sorry, you can see it how you like, but I'd rather be squeezed and punched for a few minutes than bludgeoned for a possible 36 for 50 fights and suffer uncontrollable shakes or even worse. The only position in sports that is even comparable to the danger of boxing is being an NFL offensive line man.

Reaction score
Very good Enzo, that's the reply I was looking for. Thanks for actually having an intelligent reply, unlike others on here who can't seem to have a discussion worth crap!

Yes, I had those examples in mind when I was typing them out. However, I was illustrating that if we just look at results, then there are risks in dying in virtually ANY sport that one would consider virtually safe. Heck, during a recent Detroit Marathon about three people died. Ironic since an activity like that is supposed to promote health. My point of including those examples is that deaths in the sport shouldn't be equated with "danger" necessarily.

Given the relatively short time-spam of the MMA sport, we really haven't seen the complete gambit of possible side effects from a long term career of fightings.

What I'm really trying to express is that "danger" has multiple meanings. I think both our points have merits and can be supported. Yes it is possible that being a pro boxer who has fought 100s of fights might turn out to be in worst shape than a pro UFC fighter with a long career.

However, if somebody said to me "Hey, you have to choose one, either fight in a MMA match right now or fight in a boxing match right now" I would choose the boxing match, as I perceive that to be less dangerous than a single MMA match.

pumpt73

Reaction score
I love wrestling, but MMA has my money right now. I can fully understand why some would call some fights boring. When you have 2 fighters who let's say are skilled on the ground with whatever grappling discipline is their base, and they put on a grappling clinic. To the uninitiated, I can see where it would be considered boring. If you have an understanding of transitions, submission attempts, getting out of submissions, etc it can be very exciting. Add in the element of the standup game where flash knockouts occur, and you have the fastest growing sport in terms of popularity going right now. Wrestling is all about pageantry. The show. The talents are still extremely athletic, but at times, we as fans, can get bored or feel as if our intelligence has been insulted by a storyline. You don't have this in MMA.

It really is a matter of preference. With wrestling, I have lost a lot of interest, but with MMA, it has garnered my attention. With 10 years of amateur wrestling, I enjoy seeing guys I grew up idolizing, making money and becoming something more than just a wrestler. Pro wrestling will never die. It's too big and too strong, with too large of a fanbase, while MMA is still growing. I think when it comes to the heart of it, you're comparing apples to oranges. I give my nod to MMA.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'll take the UFC over wrestling any day of the week these days. The UFC builds feuds that I actually want to see and I never feel ripped off by the culmination of those feuds. When I order a PPV, unlike when I would order WWE ppvs I never feel buyer's remorse for spending the $60.

To those who say the UFC is boring for whatever reason I'll see your boring and raise you entire PPVs of extremely formulaic matches each one more tedious than the next.

Reaction score
I'll never pick MMA over wrestling or WWE just because I'm so invested with wrestling its sick. I am into MMA more than ever but I still can't picture not watching wrestling on Mondays. Outgrowing it should have happened awhile ago but it didn't.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I honestly don't see why some feel you need to "choose" between UFC and WWE. They both enertain me, both can get boring at times if you watch too much of it, but what sport/form of entertainment doesn't these days?

MMA is the big fad today, much like pro wrestling was in the 90s and boxing before that. Everybody wants to watch UFC because it's the "cool" thing to do. I honestly watched/followed it before it was the popular thing to do, being that I have wrestled (freestyle/folkstyle/greco) my entire life I find things about both MMA and professional wrestling. MMA is extremely complex for someone who doesn't understand the basic rules, yet pro wrestling is pretty straight forward.

MMA is a legit sport, but that doesn't mean that it's "better" than something that's scripted. The Real World is a reality TV show, but does that make it a better show than something like CSI? Sometimes even when you know something is "fake" you are still far more entertained then something that isn't.