WWE vs AEW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
He sure as fuck did. 2012-2015 had Dusty’s influence all over it. It was character driven with good stories that made sense.

After he died, HHH turned into an glorified indy workrate promotion with ridiculous 6 star Meltzer false finish spot fests.
Nope....he was nothing more than a consultant who worked with people's promos.

utvolzac

Patiently waiting for the Attitude Era to return
Reaction score
Nope....he was nothing more than a consultant who worked with people's promos.

He was a writer, booker and producer for FCW and transitioned into early NXT.

Enzo credited it being Dusty’s decision to send him out on the live show with no in ring training cause “he could talk”.

Hell just look at the NXT product when he was alive vs after his death. When Dusty was there is was heavily character driven with emphasis on promos. That was all Dusty.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Emphasis on promos :lmao

Yeah, all them great talkers Seth Rollins, Bo Dallas and Richie Steamboat.

utvolzac

Reaction score
Emphasis on promos :lmao

Yeah, all them great talkers Seth Rollins, Bo Dallas and Richie Steamboat.

Bo Dallas’ troll heel character was over as hell and extremely entertaining during his time in NXT. It’s not his fault Vince fucked up every good gimmick that has ever come out of NXT.

You mention Seth and Richie Steamboat but leave out guys like Bray Wyatt who had one of the best gimmicks/promos ever with his original Wyatt Family southern cult leader gimmick before Vince fucked it up with all the supernatural shit. Plus Big E’s monster 5-count gimmick was much better than his New Day dancing clown shit. Even lesser guys like Tyler Breeze with his near perfect Zoolander gimmick and Scott Dawson’s Larry the Cable guy schtick were entertaining. Guys like Sandow had his intellectual superior character, Enzo & Cass with the Sawft gimmick, etc.

2012-15 NXT has excellent character work that died with Dusty.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
NXT wasn't successful then either.

Another Dusty classic......not drawing shit.

utvolzac

Reaction score
NXT wasn't successful then either.

Another Dusty classic......not drawing shit.

Yeah an actual development show with actual developmental wrestlers getting deals with Hulu isn’t successful. Or established veteran like Chris Jericho requesting to appear on a developmental brand just so he can work a program with an unknown talent Bray Wyatt isn’t a draw.

There would be no NXT like it exists today without Dusty and the early NXT Years. Your f’n clueless.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Still was and always will be a Triple H product....Dusty wasn't writing.

Deal with it.

sportsnews

Reaction score
Website
sportsinfonow.com
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
For WWE its far good as compare to AEW in Storyline as well behind the scene point of view.
But AEW is now far good as compare to WWE in wrestling point of view.

Benoit's Weight Machine

Reaction score
I am a so-called lapsed fan who was brought back by AEW so I feel I can bring a unique perspective to this. I followed wrestling borderline fanatically from the late 80s to early 00s. I grew up a diehard WWF fan. While I really enjoyed WCW as well, I always preferred WWF. I would watch Raw and flip to Nitro during the commercials and I would almost always watch the nitro replay.

The preceding paragraph sets the stage as to how pro-WWF I always was. With that being said, their product has been utter and complete garbage to the point where it turned off a diehard fan such as myself completely. I always missed wrestling but just couldn't get back into it. I tried for a bit in 2005 but I just couldn't. I tried again in early 2010 when Bret Hart came back. I found myself completely disinterested in anything not involving Bret and soon resorted to watching the Bret segments on YouTube however I noticed this was not the same Bret, this was an actor with obviously scripted lines. I really hated what wrestling has become.

Throughout this whole time period I missed wrestling, I found myself frequently watching old stuff on youtube. I also somehow found Ric Flair's and Stone Cold's podcasts, which were gateways to Bruce Prichard's podcast, then between the sheets and the lapsed fan which I still listen to regularly.

I tried to watch yet again when they had the 30th anniversary of Raw. I really wanted them to show me something to win me back but the show was a complete disaster. I gave up on the idea of ever watching wrestling again until I read about double or nothing the morning after it happened. Out of curiosity, I checked it out and have been hooked on AEW ever since.

I am completely behind AEW in this so-called war. Personally I don't even think WWE should presently even exist other than the network which is by far the best thing they've ever done. No offense to WWE fans, but what they are doing is not wrestling and they will be the first to admit that. They have even invented terms such as "WWE Superstar" and "the WWE Universe" just to avoid saying the words "wrestler" and "wrestling fan". They have been a monopoly pushing a bastardized version of wrestling for almost 20 years and ratings and the size of the fanbase have adjusted accordingly.

I think AEW had the potential to overtake WWE but they made a series of critical missteps in the first 6-7 months of it's existence. Covid situation aside, I think their ceiling is now 900k-1 million viewers. They need a big "holy shit" moment that will draw viewers but the damage done to the business in the last 20 years has been irreparable so quite frankly, I'm not sure that is even possible in the current conditions.

I do think AEW is making a huge mistake in the way they are booking Moxley. His gimmick of a lone wolf who is constantly suffering gang beatdowns is getting real old real fast. Consequently, they need to get the woman's title off of Nyla ASAP because she is undermining the whole division which looks pretty interesting right now.

Another interesting phenomenon is that people seem to either love or hate AEW. I'm not sure this polarization is good when the entire wrestling fanbase is only around 2-2.5 million.

Last edited:

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Does anyone feel like AEW is starting to slip in to WWE shitty segment territory sometimes? For the most part, I still think AEW has done far better to keep me entertained, but, some of the segments have just been cringe as fuck, like stupid tictok rip off garbage. I get it, they want to appeal to this current generation by participating in things that are popular (tictok is stupid, not sure why it's popular, but, anyway..). AEW just started out strong when it came to being the more 'serious' wrestling. Jokes here and there, cool, but, nothing that was really embarrassing (to me, anyway). Some of the shit now is just WWE 2.0 level.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Does anyone feel like AEW is starting to slip in to WWE shitty segment territory sometimes? For the most part, I still think AEW has done far better to keep me entertained, but, some of the segments have just been cringe as fuck, like stupid tictok rip off garbage. I get it, they want to appeal to this current generation by participating in things that are popular (tictok is stupid, not sure why it's popular, but, anyway..). AEW just started out strong when it came to being the more 'serious' wrestling. Jokes here and there, cool, but, nothing that was really embarrassing (to me, anyway). Some of the shit now is just WWE 2.0 level.

Some stuff is a bit uh to me for sure. I’ve enjoyed the Bubbly Bunch stuff they’ve done tho. The Brodie Lee segments they had a few weeks I didn’t care much for. I hope it doesn’t get to bad.

Reactions: Lady Redfield

Benoit's Weight Machine

Reaction score

Agreed, that was really cringey but I'll give them a pass for at least trying something different during these unique times.

It's interesting how when AEW started, they didn't do enough promos or vignettes on TV but the pendulum has swung really far in the other direction. AEW claims to listen to their fans. They listened with the nightmare collective and with Britt Baker bit they are NOT listening as far as the Dark Order and Nyla Rose.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
The Nyla Rose situation is a tough one. I don't think she deserved a belt, I feel it was just done to push the whole 'we accept transgendered people' (well, I think fans know that was pretty much what it was), there was no proper build, nothing, however, I think that even if they 'did it right', people would still complain. I don't care what is between someone's legs (or used to be), that's not an issue in the case of wrestling because it's not like they are truly punching each other or anything, but, what a mess there, and there wasn't much to support the whole scenario.

Benoit's Weight Machine

Reaction score
The Nyla Rose situation is a tough one. I don't think she deserved a belt, I feel it was just done to push the whole 'we accept transgendered people' (well, I think fans know that was pretty much what it was), there was no proper build, nothing, however, I think that even if they 'did it right', people would still complain. I don't care what is between someone's legs (or used to be), that's not an issue in the case of wrestling because it's not like they are truly punching each other or anything, but, what a mess there, and there wasn't much to support the whole scenario.

Agreed but regardless of Nyla's alleged gender, she just isn't over. There's face heat, heel heat and X-Pac heat. When she comes out the crowd is just silent which is not where you need to be. I think the right thing would have been putting the belt on Shida who actually is over and would be a credible champion.

Reactions: Lady Redfield